SanDisk Guru

Re: Refreshing Your Media lasts for a really long time

@Miikerman wrote:

Nice echo in this room.   Smiley Wink

Smiley Tongue

Mine has 8gb and still almost empty (no more than 1 gb occupied). I was afraid that everytime I copy a single file, the whole memory must be checked to organize the content. Is it not possible to create any kind of log file or something like an index, to check quickly only the differences and not the whole stuff?

I am really scared about copy a lot of files, besides I have to copy and delete frequently.

SanDisk Guru

@b4thman wrote:

Mine has 8gb and still almost empty (no more than 1 gb occupied). I was afraid that everytime I copy a single file, the whole memory must be checked to organize the content. Is it not possible to create any kind of log file or something like an index, to check quickly only the differences and not the whole stuff?

I am really scared about copy a lot of files, besides I have to copy and delete frequently.

No. Anytime the content on the player is accessed via your computer (and this could even be as simple as your A/V software scanning the files), the player will refresh its database upon disconnecting.

Why are you scared to add more than 1 file at a time? You're actually doing more harm to the memory that way. Flash memory has a finite (limited) number of write cycles, so to maximize the memory life, you want to minimize the number of times you change things on it.

I didn't know about that limited number of writes. Then I will prevent to write little things.

SanDisk Guru

The refresh situation indeed is unfortunate.  The only way to avoid it, apart from not adding to or taking away from the player's content, is to switch to the Rockbox firmware.  

Is there any difference, in terms of destruction of the flash memory, between deleting a file using the menu (I usually delete every single file after listening) and connecting the clip to the computer and delete it using Windows?... in other words, is it advisable to delete individual files (4 or 5 each day) using the menu, or it is better to wait and delete all files together only once a week (for example) when connected to the computer?

SanDisk Guru

Not sure of the answer to your question.  But candidly, I wouln't be concerned (or, at least, overly concerned) about the flash memory issue--it is likely that you never would face any "limitation" of the memory and that its lifespan will more than meet your needs.  Flash does, in many applications and including as a hard drive substitute in computers.

SanDisk Guru

There is no difference. However I would not worry about it. The player will fail from other causes long before the flash memory chip reaches its maximum number of write cycles.

This is bullshi*.

Hey Sansa, if you want to survive and have customers beyond next week, fix the **bleep** problem before you sell your product.

I want to buy something that works out of the box, not something that needs further updates. I spent money on your stuff and it sucks. I won't do it again.

SanDisk Guru

@nhunt wrote:

This is bullshi*.

Hey Sansa, if you want to survive and have customers beyond next week, fix the **bleep** problem before you sell your product.

I want to buy something that works out of the box, not something that needs further updates. I spent money on your stuff and it sucks. I won't do it again.

What issue are you complaining about?  (Or do you just need to vent some?)  My players just work.