Accepted Solution

Refreshing Your Media lasts for a really long time

What is a normal amount of time for my player to display 'Refreshing Your Media' after being turned on? I am using a 32 GB microSD card that is mostly full, and it is taking around 15-20 minutes for the player to load. This seems sort of excessive since I want to use my player in the car, and most rides take less time than that. Is there a way to make this process go quicker?

SanDisk Guru

Re: Refreshing Your Media lasts for a really long time

That time sounds a little on the long side, but it shouldn't be doing that every time you turn it on; only if content has been changed or accessed via a computer.

What is happening during the database refresh cycle is the player is reading and cataloging the information contaned in the ID3 tags of the files. Cleaning/editing your tags of un-needed or extraneous garbage, excessively long titles, artists, etc. and smaller sized album art (if embedded) can speed up the process.

SanDisk Guru

I have a thought regarding extended refresh time with a large capacity microSDHC card.

With a large capacity, the File Allocation Table for a 32GB volume is really large. You can try formatting as FAT32, selecting 32kb cluster size instead of the teeny 4kb size that Windows loves to use. As the Sansa reads that large volume, a more compact FAT just might  speed things up.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]

You can also try Rockbox, wich will probably go much faster (and allow you to update while playing music). I don't own a Clip ZIp, but I've always found the database software on the Fuzev2 and the Fuze plus to be quite slow. Rockbox's db, on the other hand, takes only a minute or two, where the stock firmware can take four or five. Plus, with Rockbox, you don't actually need a db, and can just browse by file if you so desire.

On the down side, Rockbox's interface (especially the menus) isn't as nice as the stock firmware. Also, the Rockbox website lists the Clip Zip as "unstable", meaning that there may be a few minor bugs with this particular device, but the Clip Zip wiki states it as being "fine for day-to-day audio playback".

Tired of the Sansa Media Converter? Try Video4Fuze! It can create smaller videos than SMC, and is WAY more reliable!!!!

SanDisk Guru

The amount of time for the refresh under the OF is normal/not surprising (unfortunately).  

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I'm in the process of trying them all out and will let you know what works to speed things up. Bob, I think my microSD card is already partitioned into FAT32 format, at least that's what it tells me under the 'properties' tab when I look at the card in My Computer. 

Unfortunately was not able to use Rockbox Smiley Sad..... It cannot be installed on my Clip Zip using Windows 7. During the formatting step in the Rockbox installation, it asks me to specify the location of my Clip Zip, which cannot be done because Windows will not assign a drive letter to a portable device. Nor is it possible to manually assign a letter to the Clip Zip myself, believe me I searched the Microsoft forums high and low for a solution to this problem.

SanDisk Guru

Have you set the player's USB mode, under its Settings, to MSC mode?  That may/should do the trick--in that mode, the player is seen as a drive.

SanDisk Guru

You skipped the installation step where you put it into MSC mode. FWIW, the installation directions may help you with this: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002
SanDisk Guru

Nice echo in this room.   Smiley Wink