Refreshing Your Media lasts for a really long time

I didn’t know about that limited number of writes. Then I will prevent to write little things.

The refresh situation indeed is unfortunate.  The only way to avoid it, apart from not adding to or taking away from the player’s content, is to switch to the Rockbox firmware.  

Is there any difference, in terms of destruction of the flash memory, between deleting a file using the menu (I usually delete every single file after listening) and connecting the clip to the computer and delete it using Windows?.. in other words, is it advisable to delete individual files (4 or 5 each day) using the menu, or it is better to wait and delete all files together only once a week (for example) when connected to the computer?

Not sure of the answer to your question.  But candidly, I wouln’t be concerned (or, at least, overly concerned) about the flash memory issue–it is likely that you never would face any “limitation” of the memory and that its lifespan will more than meet your needs.  Flash does, in many applications and including as a hard drive substitute in computers.

There is no difference. However I would not worry about it. The player will fail from other causes long before the flash memory chip reaches its maximum number of write cycles.

This is bullshi*.

Hey Sansa, if you want to survive and have customers beyond next week, fix the **bleep** problem before you sell your product.

I want to buy something that works out of the box, not something that needs further updates. I spent money on your stuff and it ■■■■■. I won’t do it again.

@nhunt wrote:

This is bullshi*.

Hey Sansa, if you want to survive and have customers beyond next week, fix the **bleep** problem before you sell your product.

I want to buy something that works out of the box, not something that needs further updates. I spent money on your stuff and it ■■■■■. I won’t do it again.

What issue are you complaining about?  (Or do you just need to vent some?)  My players just work.  

@nhunt wrote:

So you’d rather SanDisk not offer support after the unit is sold? Like some of the cheaper or no-name devices?

Be thankful SanDisk offers periodic firmware updates tweaking bugs and adding enhancements. A lot of manufacturers don’t. And no, many of them don’t work right “out of the box” either. Even the more expensive ones.

@tapeworm wrote:

@nhunt wrote:

So you’d rather SanDisk not offer support after the unit is sold? Like some of the cheaper or no-name devices?

Be thankful SanDisk offers periodic firmware updates tweaking bugs and adding enhancements. A lot of manufacturers don’t. And no, many of them don’t work right “out of the box” either. Even the more expensive ones.

I guess the poster was meaning, updates and enhancements are fine, but the player should also start out that way, straight out of the box. 

@miikerman wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@nhunt wrote:

I guess the poster was meaning, updates and enhancements are fine, but the player should also start out that way, straight out of the box. 

Yes, that would be nice, but the way things (not only from SanDisk) are rushed to market these days, that will never happen.

I usually like to keep all my favorite songs on the card and use the interal memory for audiobooks and new albums.  Every time I upload something new to the internal memory, it has to go through the  whole refresh thing for the whole system, and mine takes around 45-55 minutes for some reason.

I’ve got a 16gb card with about 14 gb full, about 3,000 MP3s, all from 128-192 bit rate with clean tags.  I’ve tried a copy of the music with all of the extra tag information stripped down to just the title, artist, and album, removing everything else including the artwork and even the year and track numbers, but it still takes just about as long.

I’ve tried it on a couple of different zips, and it seems to have the same refresh rate on all of them.  I got a Zip Sport and used the same loaded card on there and it’s usually good within a few minutes, so I don’t think the card is bad.   However, the Sport is so buggy in pretty much every other way (cuts off album and band names, plays albums and audiobooks out of order, 2000 song database limit etc.) that I’d like to go back to by Zip if possible.  Any non-tag related issues anyone can think of?  Any non-Rockbox solutions?

Thanks

@mettrodome wrote:

I usually like to keep all my favorite songs on the card and use the interal memory for audiobooks and new albums.  Every time I upload something new to the internal memory, it has to go through the  whole refresh thing for the whole system, and mine takes around 45-55 minutes for some reason.

I’ve got a 16gb card with about 14 gb full, about 3,000 MP3s, all from 128-192 bit rate with clean tags.  I’ve tried a copy of the music with all of the extra tag information stripped down to just the title, artist, and album, removing everything else including the artwork and even the year and track numbers, but it still takes just about as long.

I’ve tried it on a couple of different zips, and it seems to have the same refresh rate on all of them.  I got a Zip Sport and used the same loaded card on there and it’s usually good within a few minutes, so I don’t think the card is bad.   However, the Sport is so buggy in pretty much every other way (cuts off album and band names, plays albums and audiobooks out of order, 2000 song database limit etc.) that I’d like to go back to by Zip if possible.  Any non-tag related issues anyone can think of?  Any non-Rockbox solutions?

Thanks

45-55 minutes definitely isn’t normal. My four Zips and two Clip+ all take 15 minutes or so with a full internal and a full external 32 GB card (of different makes). Since you’re experiencing the issue with other Zips, too, I guess there must nevertheless be something wrong with your MP3s.

I was eyeing Rockbox, too, but just couldn’t cotton up to the UI of a friend’s player equipped with it. It’s a pity, because I’d like to have the sophisticated equalizer that comes with it. Plus the much shorter refresh time.

Or could it be your SD card? Did you use the same card with all Zips you tried?

Yeah, I’m using the same card from zip to zip to sport, and like I said, it does everything within like 2 minutes or less on the sport, but forever on the zips.  For giggles, I tried it in a clip+ and that also takes a long time.  If it’s a problem with the mp3s, any suggestions as to what to look for?  Thanks

First I would try a different card. Or reformat the existing card and see what it does.

BTW, with my Clip Sport a refreshing time of less than a minute is normal, with playlists it’s just a bit more.

I loaded 29+ gigs on a 32gb card, made 1 playlist with Media player. My player now takes 75 -  90 mins to “Refresh media”

by the time it’s done the battery is almost dead.  It is completely unusable.

I’ve read online that Id tags need to be in proper format and with minimal content. Am I suppose to edit 5500 + mp3 files?

@jhonny1857 wrote:

I’ve read online that Id tags need to be in proper format and with minimal content. Am I suppose to edit 5500 + mp3 files?

MP3Tag can do this in one go. ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 is said to cause the least compatibility problems.

How do go about trying to fix a clip zip that never leaves the “Refreshing your media” screen?  Is it even fixable?  on 3 seperate occasions I’ve allowed it to go 3 hours with no change.  The blue bar is maybe only 1/8 of completion and it never gets past that point.  It does not have a micro card in it nor have I ever usesd one in it.  Only use it for the radio.

Have you tried a re-set?  (Hold the on button down for 30 seconds or so, and then try restarting normally.)

yes, reset yields same result.  Even tried holding center button while connecting to PC to force into MSC mode but still nothing different.