Refreshing Your Media lasts for a really long time

The amount of time for the refresh under the OF is normal/not surprising (unfortunately).  

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I’m in the process of trying them all out and will let you know what works to speed things up. Bob, I think my microSD card is already partitioned into FAT32 format, at least that’s what it tells me under the ‘properties’ tab when I look at the card in My Computer. 

Unfortunately was not able to use Rockbox :(… It cannot be installed on my Clip Zip using Windows 7. During the formatting step in the Rockbox installation, it asks me to specify the location of my Clip Zip, which cannot be done because Windows will not assign a drive letter to a portable device. Nor is it possible to manually assign a letter to the Clip Zip myself, believe me I searched the Microsoft forums high and low for a solution to this problem.

Have you set the player’s USB mode, under its Settings, to MSC mode?  That may/should do the trick–in that mode, the player is seen as a drive.

You skipped the installation step where you put it into MSC mode. FWIW, the installation directions may help you with this: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-buildch2.html#x4-60002

Nice echo in this room.   :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

Nice echo in this room.   :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Mine has 8gb and still almost empty (no more than 1 gb occupied). I was afraid that everytime I copy a single file, the whole memory must be checked to organize the content. Is it not possible to create any kind of log file or something like an index, to check quickly only the differences and not the whole stuff?

I am really scared about copy a lot of files, besides I have to copy and delete frequently.

@b4thman wrote:

Mine has 8gb and still almost empty (no more than 1 gb occupied). I was afraid that everytime I copy a single file, the whole memory must be checked to organize the content. Is it not possible to create any kind of log file or something like an index, to check quickly only the differences and not the whole stuff?

I am really scared about copy a lot of files, besides I have to copy and delete frequently.

No. Anytime the content on the player is accessed via your computer (and this could even be as simple as your A/V software scanning the files), the player will refresh its database upon disconnecting.

Why are you scared to add more than 1 file at a time? You’re actually doing more harm to the memory that way. Flash memory has a finite (limited) number of write cycles, so to maximize the memory life, you want to minimize the number of times you change things on it.

I didn’t know about that limited number of writes. Then I will prevent to write little things.

The refresh situation indeed is unfortunate.  The only way to avoid it, apart from not adding to or taking away from the player’s content, is to switch to the Rockbox firmware.  

Is there any difference, in terms of destruction of the flash memory, between deleting a file using the menu (I usually delete every single file after listening) and connecting the clip to the computer and delete it using Windows?.. in other words, is it advisable to delete individual files (4 or 5 each day) using the menu, or it is better to wait and delete all files together only once a week (for example) when connected to the computer?

Not sure of the answer to your question.  But candidly, I wouln’t be concerned (or, at least, overly concerned) about the flash memory issue–it is likely that you never would face any “limitation” of the memory and that its lifespan will more than meet your needs.  Flash does, in many applications and including as a hard drive substitute in computers.

There is no difference. However I would not worry about it. The player will fail from other causes long before the flash memory chip reaches its maximum number of write cycles.

This is bullshi*.

Hey Sansa, if you want to survive and have customers beyond next week, fix the **bleep** problem before you sell your product.

I want to buy something that works out of the box, not something that needs further updates. I spent money on your stuff and it ■■■■■. I won’t do it again.

@nhunt wrote:

This is bullshi*.

Hey Sansa, if you want to survive and have customers beyond next week, fix the **bleep** problem before you sell your product.

I want to buy something that works out of the box, not something that needs further updates. I spent money on your stuff and it ■■■■■. I won’t do it again.

What issue are you complaining about?  (Or do you just need to vent some?)  My players just work.  

@nhunt wrote:

So you’d rather SanDisk not offer support after the unit is sold? Like some of the cheaper or no-name devices?

Be thankful SanDisk offers periodic firmware updates tweaking bugs and adding enhancements. A lot of manufacturers don’t. And no, many of them don’t work right “out of the box” either. Even the more expensive ones.

@tapeworm wrote:

@nhunt wrote:

So you’d rather SanDisk not offer support after the unit is sold? Like some of the cheaper or no-name devices?

Be thankful SanDisk offers periodic firmware updates tweaking bugs and adding enhancements. A lot of manufacturers don’t. And no, many of them don’t work right “out of the box” either. Even the more expensive ones.

I guess the poster was meaning, updates and enhancements are fine, but the player should also start out that way, straight out of the box. 

@miikerman wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@nhunt wrote:

I guess the poster was meaning, updates and enhancements are fine, but the player should also start out that way, straight out of the box. 

Yes, that would be nice, but the way things (not only from SanDisk) are rushed to market these days, that will never happen.