Questions on the Fuze+

@jk98 wrote:

“The external dimensions are approximatively 2.5” x 1.5" x 1/4" "

The Fuze dimensions are listed as 3.1 x 1.9 x 0.3 inches, so the Fuze+ is smaller than the Fuze in all three dimensions? The Fuze is lasted as being 2.1 ounces. Is the Fuze+ lighter or heavier than this?

My original statement was not correct the actual dimensions are approximently 3.82” x 2.03” x 0.43”**  . I have updated my post. Sorry for the confusion. **

As far as weight goes they are just about the same. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

@silverwolf wrote:

Would you be able to play Digital Copy movies or not?

As long as the movie is not protected and can be converted to the video specs for the Fuze+ then yes it will play them. Keep in mind the Fuze+ does not require the SMC. Any video converter of your choice can be used. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Can you create actual playlists on the Fuze+ or are stuck using the GoList like on the Fuze?

I don’t own a Fuze+ (very few people, if any, do yet), but you aren’t"stuck with the GoList" on the Fuze. There are a number of ways to create playlists (just use the search box at the top of the page to find topics on the subject), it’s just that the GoList is the only built-in way.

So, finally something new from Sansa. The main question for me is: when will it be possible to purchase the Fuze+ in Europe?

I have found the US online-shop, but there ist no possibility to ship it to Germany, will this be added at some point? I certainly hope so, because my Sansa E280 is getting problems. I have been absolutely satisfied with it and would really like to get my hands on the new Fuze+, but there is no chance :cry:

The Fuze+ might make it to Europe before the end of the year. It seems like Sandisk wants to have US stores stocked with plenty of inventory before they release the new model in Europe.

There are US merchants that ship worldwide such as B&H Photo in NYC, however their shipping cost to destinations outside the US is quite expensive for just one item. It might pay to order from the US if you can get together with a few friends and place one  order together for several items, as the shipping cost per item will be much less that way.

@brids wrote:

So, finally something new from Sansa. The main question for me is: when will it be possible to purchase the Fuze+ in Europe?

Without a doubt, the Fuze+ will be marketed in Europe too. That’s a huge market for SanDisk. You’ll just have to be patient as to when. They were just released here in the States a few days ago, and are as we speak (or type) getting into the hands of the first people who ordered them. I’m sure they’ll be over in Deutschland for the Weihnachten selling season. :wink:

Oh, I really hope that they will make it to Germany before Christmas. Only thing is, the IFA, one of the biggest fairs for new technologies was held just last week and I wondered if maybe, the Fuze+ was shown there, but I couldn’t find anything about that. :cry: Instead, all kinds of 3D TVs and stuff was shown :wink:

So, I’ll be patient and hope that my E280 keeps it up while I am waiting.

@brids wrote:

Oh, I really hope that they will make it to Germany before Christmas.

They most likely will.  It was the same with the clip+.

Sandisk is going full steam ahead with this player.   Retailers here weren’t scheduled to sell them until the beginning of next week, and Best Buy already has a couple of models for sale at their stores.  And Amazon already has it for pre-order.  There’s another online store that has it at a lower price, but it looks like it’s a pre-order.

The timing is perfect for sales now:  now that Apple has announced its Fall lineup, people can compare models and make intelligent decisions.

@miikerman wrote:

The timing is perfect for sales now:  now that Apple has announced its Fall lineup, people can compare models and make intelligent decisions.

Fixed!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist! :smileyvery-happy:

“The timing is perfect for sales now: now that Apple has announced its Fall lineup, people can compare models and make intelligent decisions.”

It’s interesting that Apple took away video from the latest Nano, while Sandisk improved the video in going from the  Fuze to  the Fuze+. .

Now Sandisk needs an audio only player with a larger screen than the Clip+(hopefully a very low power one that can be on all the time while the player is playing), longer battery life(more than 24 hours),a card slot(preferably a full sized SDXC one), and a built in clip.

@jk98 wrote:

“The timing is perfect for sales now: now that Apple has announced its Fall lineup, people can compare models and make intelligent decisions.”

It’s interesting that Apple took away video from the latest Nano, while Sandisk improved the video in going from the  Fuze to  the Fuze+. .

Now Sandisk needs an audio only player with a larger screen than the Clip+(hopefully a very low power one that can be on all the time while the player is playing), longer battery life(more than 24 hours),a card slot(preferably a full sized SDXC one), and a built in clip.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

The timing is perfect for sales now:  now that Apple has announced its Fall lineup, people can compare models and make intelligent emotional decisions.

Fixed!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist! :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry, just had to tweak it a little. :stuck_out_tongue:

The SFGate article you linked in the “Reviews” topic here  mentions an effective maximum capacity of 40Gb, even if you add a 32Gb card to a 16Gb Fuze+ … is this correct, or is it more a limitation of approx. 10,000 song tracks?

If true, moving my 32Gb Sandisk uSDHC card to a 16Gb Fuze+ won’t give me any more capacity than my current 8Gb Fuze.

I have a lot of long tracks (plenty of classical and Grateful Dead), so I’m not going to hit a 10k-track limit anytime soon, but I’m already pushing 40Gb total music library size, so this is sort of relevant to me (whether or not to upgrade to the Fuze+).

Thanks.

Tweaking?  Mais bien sur, mes amis!

Let’s call it the ClipJK.

Personally, I’d engineer a basic Clip with a removable back.  On this back, we have a basic fixed-clip cover, or an upgradeable thick back with a deeper battery bay.  Make the assembly slide into position like Motorola or Yaesu radio units have.

The user has a choice of battery capacities, with the tradeoff of a larger size, and it’s easily field-replaceable.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

“The SFGate article you linked in the “Reviews” topic here mentions an effective maximum capacity of 40Gb”

Imo the mention of 40 GB effective maximum capacity is due to the fact that  40 GB of 128 kbps songs averaging 4 minutes each works out to around 10,000 songs. Many use a higher bitrate though and/or have many classical music or jazz tracks that average well over 4 minutes each.

Sandisk has still not worked out how to effectively deal with classical music on an mp3 player. When someone wants to shuffle their songs, they usually  don’t want a random symphony movement shuffled into the mix. They might also want to have different performances of the same symphony on the player. For classical music, just having the artist tag is not enough. It seems like having a composer, performer(orchestra), and performer(primary performer) tag would be useful. To keep the classical music movements out of my song list, and to keep them from playing when I shuffle my songs, I put the classical music in the audibooks folder. Some people might want to use audiobooks as well, and not want to do this. I guess Sandisk needs to design a new database for the players to effectively handle classical music separately.

Making a versatile mp3 player that effectively handles podcasts,lectures,audiobooks, and  classical music as well as pop/rock music is not simple.  Imo it would be nice to avoid video on such a player, as just handling these various types of audio efffectively is challenging enough. Lectures for example might be old low quality recordings that need sound enhancements on the player to make them more comprehensible.

@jk98 wrote:

Sandisk has still not worked out how to effectively deal with classical music on an mp3 player. When someone wants to shuffle their songs, they usually  don’t want a random symphony music shuffled into the mix. They might also want to have different performances of the same symphony on the player. For classical music, just having the artist tag is not enough. It seems like having a composer, performer(orchestra), and performer(primary performer) tag would be useful. To keep the classical music movements out of my song list, and to keep them from playing when I shuffle my songs, I put the classical music in the audibooks folder. Some people might want to use audiobooks as well, and not want to do this. I guess Sandisk needs to design a new database for the players to effectively handle classical music separately.

What about just playing them by genre?  You can go to Play All and have shuffle on. 

@mags1230 wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

Sandisk has still not worked out how to effectively deal with classical music on an mp3 player. When someone wants to shuffle their songs, they usually  don’t want a random symphony music shuffled into the mix. They might also want to have different performances of the same symphony on the player. For classical music, just having the artist tag is not enough. It seems like having a composer, performer(orchestra), and performer(primary performer) tag would be useful. To keep the classical music movements out of my song list, and to keep them from playing when I shuffle my songs, I put the classical music in the audibooks folder. Some people might want to use audiobooks as well, and not want to do this. I guess Sandisk needs to design a new database for the players to effectively handle classical music separately.

What about just playing them by genre?  You can go to Play All and have shuffle on. 

What if you want to listen to everythig besides ‘classical’ at the moment? Personally, I like classical music, but I have to be in the mood for it. Besides, classical music is usually best when listened to start to finish, not by the various ‘movements’ or tracks within a lengthy piece at random. Especially since most classical albums are recorded ‘gapless’.

JK's got a good workaround by putting them into the Audiobooks folder so they do not get included in the mix when using Play All and/or Shuffle. However, as he points out this method will only work if you don’t have any audiobooks in there too.

Maybe Sandisk could/should add another folder with the same properties as the Audiobooks one in a firmware update. It could be named User Choice or My Folder or whatever. Anything you put in this folder will not be mixed in with the ‘general population’ when using the Play All feature. That might even be a solution to playlisting . . . people have been complaining for years about the complexity of making and using playlists. You would add whatever songs/albums you want to this special folder; it wouldn’t be shuffled or lumped in with all the rest of the music on the player, but you could choose to play only that one collection of music if you like. Perfect for work-out or gym music. Drop the files into the special folder and they will only play when you want, no intricate playlisting creations or skills requirted.

"What about just playing them by genre? You can go to Play All and have shuffle on. "

You can’t tell the player to play all genres except classical though. Some people could give all the music except classical and jazz the rock genre, then for classical use the genre for the composer. Then they could shuffle all the songs with rock genre, and sort out the classical music by composer, but this still isn’t an ideal solution.