Questions About New Clip Zip

I suppose you could but I leave it set the same when its plugged in as it is disconnected.

Does Clip Zip still scans for files after usb unplugging? Eg i copy 5000 tracks, should I wait 15 mins like it’s predecesors?

@icsterm wrote:

Does Clip Zip still scans for files after usb unplugging? Eg i copy 5000 tracks, should I wait 15 mins like it’s predecesors?

Clip Zip now loaded with MP3’s, 6.96GB on the internal, 14.8GB on a class 2 16GB card. Still flies through menus, and the refresh time just now was 2:53.6…two minutes, fifty-three point six seconds. Of course, YMMV with regards to the refresh time, depending on your tagging practices. That is 2,685 songs, average bitrate of the lot is 233kbps. 

The same tracks on the Clip+ results in a refresh time of 3:20.8…three minutes, twenty point eight seconds.

What does the screen look like when playing podcasts?

Now that the Clip Zip allows customizing the menu, the next step is to allow customization of what the screen displays and how large each item is displayed. 

Answering what I know your question is :wink: , with podcasts, there is a progress bar and then below that and to the left, the time elapsed, and to the right, the time remaining. No reason, although the space is tight, why this couldn’t likewise be done on the music what’s playing screen (along with the current track no./total track no. info.) in a firmware upgrade, especially if people ask for it here–SanDisk listens!   :wink:

It was decided that the time displays were important for podasts, and I have to agree with that.  As for music, with the current display, there is a progress bar, but no time display.

With Rhapsody enabled on the device, song ratings will display below the progress bar.

Personally, I think it’s time to make use of the center-button display function as with the previous Clips, allowing a rotation between track time / ratings / the progress bar, et cetera.  The best of all worlds, actually.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I would like to have a choice between displaying album art or displaying time elapsed, track number, number songs in the album, and time remaing when playing music. Having it as a center button function wouldn’t satisfy me. i hope in future players use an even lower powered screen, so battery life could be 24+ hours(and for a larger player 50+ hours)  with the display on all the time the player is on.

But JK98, how about if all that info. (track and timing info.) is included on the current screen as the default, and then a press of the select button leads to an album-art-only screen (that would remain, until the select button might be pressed again to go to a different screen)?

And I agree with neutron_bob, that the select button and alternate screens (e.g.  a full what’s playing now info. screen with album art => an album art alone screen => a detailed current track/next track info. screen => a clock screen with user-selectable clock faces (yep, I keep on advocating for it!  :)  )) is a _ great _ opportunity.   

But JK98, how about if all that info. (track and timing info.) is included on the current screen as the default, and then a press of the select button leads to an album-art-only screen (that would remain, until the select button might be pressed again to go to a different screen)?

And I agree with neutron_bob, that the select button and alternate screens (e.g.  a full what’s playing now info. screen with album art => an album art alone screen => a detailed current track/next track info. screen => a clock screen with user-selectable clock faces (yep, I keep on advocating for it!)) is a _ great _ opportunity.  

@miikerman wrote:

And I agree with neutron_bob, that the select button and alternate screens (e.g.  a full what’s playing now info. screen with album art => an album art alone screen => a detailed current track/next track info. screen => a clock screen with user-selectable clock faces (yep, I keep on advocating for it!)) is a _ great _ opportunity.  

Yeah, whut Miikerman said!!   That’s the only thing I’d change in the software.  That and having the ability to diddle with the EQ in the “music” mode like in my old Clip.  Overall it’s a nifty gadget.

Miikerman, okay, as long as I can get what I want to stay on the screen, and not just for a second or two then going back to the original screen.

I think you’re right–some people might want to stay in one screen or another.  Like with the original Clip.

@neutron_bob wrote:

I can update you on #2.  The graphic interface has undergone a facelift with the new Clip Zip.  You select Books > Podcasts > then you will see your podcasts listed like “albums”, nicely separated.  An individual bookmark is stored for each podcast episode, so you can click forward / back between episodes, and it will automatically resume within each podcsat at the last played point.

If you pull up the episode list, it’s a little different; you will, upon opening the episode, get the handy option to start from the beginning, or resume playback right where you were last time.

This option is nice of you’d like to start the episode from scratch.

Another change is that the time elapsed / time remaining displays when in audiobooks or podcasts, making it easier to locate the desired spot.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I was just in a chat with tech help and they told me no sansa product has bookmarking!!!

it supports the same type of bookmarking the Fuze, Clip, and Clip+ do. and yes you can use the card. Keep in mind however if these are DRM protected books you will have to sync them to the card while in the Clip Zip. if they were synced while the card was in a different player they may not work on the clip zip. if not you would need to resync them to the card while it is in the CZ. 

How fast is the card reader in the Clip Zip?  Anyone here try writing to a class 10 card in it? How fast is it? With a class 10 card, i could only write to the card in a Clip+ at up to around 4.4M/s.

@jk98 wrote:

How fast is the card reader in the Clip Zip?  Anyone here try writing to a class 10 card in it? How fast is it? With a class 10 card, i could only write to the card in a Clip+ at up to around 4.4M/s.

I only have a class 2 card, so I can’t help you.

Has anyone used the voice recorder or recorded off the radio?  If so, how well does that work?

can the clock be turned off?

@iwantoneofthose wrote:

can the clock be turned off?

No. Why?

Can you listen to the zip while it charges? That was one thing I did not like about the fuze.

Dave