Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Problem with playlists ( M3U, M3U8's)

This is very informational, this threads are very interisting. Thanks for sharing it guys.

SanDisk Guru

@Bryan88 wrote:

This is very informational, this threads are very interisting. Thanks for sharing it guys.

You must be very bored. You've been on a posting spree lately saying virtually nothing in any of them. Please find something else to do if you have nothing to contribute here.

SanDisk Guru

@Tapeworm wrote:

@Bryan88 wrote:

You must be very bored. You've been on a posting spree lately saying virtually nothing in any of them. Please find something else to do if you have nothing to contribute here.

Unfortunately, he's not the only one doing this lately.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Obviously the latest firmware did not fix paths in M3U playlists. Failing this I would be happy if there was just some way to build working playlists under linux, and not have to touch Micro$#!+ in any way, including vmware. And I do not mean, copying the music to a common folder. That winds up creating 2 copies of the music in the artist and album browsers. If someone knows of a way, please let me know.

The only playlists that work correctly on the fuze+ are .pla playlists.  These may be made with Windows Media Player (Ugh) or they may be constrcted directly with Windows Explorer or WinAmp.

After doing much research and testing it seems clear that the fuze+ (firmware 2.38.6) still is unable to read useful m3u playlists in MSC mode (such playlists only work if the listed songs are in the same directory as the playlist, i.e., any path component is not parsed/handled correctly by the fuze+).

However, I found that I can import m3u playlists into the gMTP program (native app under linux; I'm currently on ubuntu-10.11) and write them to the fuze+. That's at least something, isn't it?

gMTP issues a bunch of warnings (that the playlist cannot be updated - this happens when *reading* lists from the device). However, I just ignore the warnings and it seems to work fine. When I connect the fuze+ then it shows up in nautilus (MSC mode)

which is how I normally use it. When I issue 'connect' from gMTP then it automatically ejects the usb-storage device and connects in MTP mode - nice. Be patient, though: some operations (connecting, writing playlist) take a while...

FWIW: The first lines of an .m3u playlist (I found that when exporting an existing playlist from the fuze+ to gMTP and storing as 'm3u') show (<title> is the title of the playlist as it appears on the fuze+; regardless of the file name):

#GMTPPLA: <title>

Music/<Artist>/<Album>/<song>.mp3

Relative to Fuze Plus firmware release 02.38.06A:

Play lists only work for music files stored in the Music Folder at the very next level down, e.g.,

\music

.playlist.mu3

.song.mp3

\photo

\video

(etc.)

However, during testing of many different approaches, I found that one can store .mp3 files anywhere on the Fuze Plus (tested to 4 folder levels deep) and the Fuze software will find each song; only the playlist(s) will be listed not as desired.  

Also, significantly, I realized that the filename of the .mp3 file is not displayed on the Fuze (except if looking in FOLDERS under the MUSIC folder types) but rather the embedded file title in the .mp3 file itself.  This means that one can generate playlists using only the filename (as seen in Finder) under the Music folder, and yet still be able to select to play music by artist, album, etc.

So, the only problem is going to arise if two .mp3 files have the same filename (as seen by Finder) but have different contents.  In the rare case (I presume), one can just change the filename of one of the songs before coping into the Music folder on the Fuze.  Fuze somehow is content to display the correct number of songs with the same embedded file title.

Many thanks to all you have gone into this Fuze Plus wilderness before me.  Your efforts have been very helpful to me.

If anyone needs additional explanation, I'll be following this thread with declining frequency, but will be glad to help if I can.  Play on!