No updatable Sansa product has been recognised

hello everyone,

i know this has probably been asked before, but i’m stuck. i’ve formated my Sansa Clip Zip in Windows 7 and now i cant seem to reinstall the OF or OS (i’m not sure which would be the correct term here) on it. the ideea for formatting was to format it from FAT32 fo exFAT to make it work faster when copying files on and from it (at least that’s what i though would happen, not sure if so on not) and now i cant make it work. i’ve tried everything, reformat back to FAT32, tried the automatic update, tried the manual update, installed RockBox loading in the process the original Sandisk firmware, nothing works.

when i try the Sansa Updater and plug in the device i get “No updatable Sansa product has been recognised”, if i get it out i get a message on the screen that says “*PANIC* mount: 0”, then “No partition found”, the “Plug USB cable” and then we go again with “No updatable Sansa product has been recognised”.

please HELP

Your player doesn’t support exFAT, so no surprise using that breaks everything. You’ll need to get back into USB mode and then reformat it as fat32. That error message is from rockbox’s bootloader I think, so if you have that installed you should be able to hold the select button with the player off, then plug it into USB while still holding the button. That will hopefully enable the emergency bootloader USB mode. If that works, try reformatting it as fat32. Then either reinstall rockbox, or install a sandisk firmware update (do not use the automatic updater it will not work).

thank you so much for the answer. i formated to FAT32 full format and installed Rockbox and now indeed it works. i have 2 more questions:

• is the format type valid also for a micro card, because i have one and also formated into exFAT and now it doesnt show in the folders when i try to acces it via my Sansa? so, in short, the card also has to be formated to FAT32?

• is there anywhere i can find to download the Sansa Clip Zip firmware software to download full? i mean not the updater

thank you

@opalus2006 wrote:

• is the format type valid also for a micro card, because i have one and also formated into exFAT and now it doesnt show in the folders when i try to acces it via my Sansa? so, in short, the card also has to be formated to FAT32?

Yes.

• is there anywhere i can find to download the Sansa Clip Zip firmware software to download full? i mean not the updater

It’s the 1st (top post) on the Clip Zip main page, called (appropriately and not surprisingly)

Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21. Follow the link that says Manual Firmware Update (All Regions).

thank you Tapeworm for the answer. already found out that the card had to be FAT32 also as i formated that way and now the player sees it.

about the OF, i must be missing something and can’t figure out what it is. of course i already found the Manual Firmware Update and tried installing it that way, but still didnt work… that’s why i was asking if there is the manual software and not the updater. so if the Manual Firmware Update is the software itself, why hasnt it work to install the OF? probably because i havent tried it on the FAT32 formated player, although i have to admit i’m not 100% sure if so or not :slight_smile:

in any case, player works now, thanks a lot for your answers

What makes you think manually re-installing the firmware didn’t work?

i “don’t think” it didnt work, i know it didnt work because i’ve tried it. the firmware did not install. as i said my best guess at this moment would be that i was trying to install it on an exFAT formated player, but can’t really tell as 100% sure because i’ve tried several things one after another with both the original Update (automatic + manual) and the Rockbox software during the process of trying to make the player work.

i’m not gonna try again to see if now the original Update works on a newly formated player, because i’ve already installed the Rockbox with FAT32 and the player works, so there’s no point in starting all over again just to test this theory.

thank you for assistance :slight_smile: