No Bookmarking & Folderview...I'm a SAD Panda

@brhartin wrote:

It should not matter how the files are tagged (on the FUSE +)

But it does indeed. Not having Folder view/navigation like it’s older brother (original Fuze), this player is strictly tag-based. Who knows; they may add Folder Nav in a future firmware update like they did on the Fuze, but until then your choices are:

1. Properly tag you files.
  2. Suffer & be miserable because you don’t want to properly tag your files.
  3. Gripe & whine about having to properly tag your files.
  4. Get another player where ID3 tags are not as big an issue.

@brhartin wrote:

It should not matter how the files are tagged (on the FUSE +)

But it does indeed. Not having Folder view/navigation like it’s older brother (original Fuze), this player is strictly tag-based. Who knows; they may add Folder Nav in a future firmware update like they did on the Fuze, but until then your choices are:

1. Properly tag your files.
  2. Suffer & be miserable because you don’t want to properly tag your files.
  3. Gripe & whine about having to properly tag your files.
  4. Get another player where ID3 tags are not as big an issue.

First of all, the whole concept of “tag your files properly” is pure BS.  You shouldn’t have to do that to use a mp3 player.

That being said, my files ARE properly tagged but here is where the lack of folder support causes the player to fall catastrophically on its azz:

I have two folders.  Very large ones - we’re talking at least 7Gb each.  Each one has several hundred files in it.  All poperly tagged.  All from DIFFERENT ALBUMS.  One folder is Chillout.  The other is 80s Dance.  80’s Dance has Hi-NRG, Synthpop, New Wave, Eurodance and several other genres.  Chillout similaly has multiple genres.  I DON’T WANT PLAYBACK MIXED BETWEEN THE TWO FOLDERS.

If I put both folders on the player and want to play the chillout album ONLY, I would - using the retarded mindset behind the player firmware design - have to REMOVE the CORRECT ALBUM TAGGING on the files and replace it with something stupidly mundane like “Chillout”.  I’d also have to do something similar with the contents of the 80s Dance folder.  Somehow that oh-so-simple concept of use escaped the trained (or rather untrained) chimps who designed the Fuze+ firmware and who deigned to remocve the folder support that had been added to the original Fuze which permits just such an occurrence.

Gawd, the simplicity of the above is so blatantly obvious that it ■■■■■ slaps one across the face.  Hell, oh I don’t know, RADIO employs this concept EVERY DAY.

@roj wrote:

First of all, the whole concept of “tag your files properly” is pure BS.  You shouldn’t have to do that to use a mp3 player.

That being said, my files ARE properly tagged but here is where the lack of folder support causes the player to fall catastrophically on its azz:

I have two folders.  Very large ones - we’re talking at least 7Gb each.  Each one has several hundred files in it.  All poperly tagged.  All from DIFFERENT ALBUMS.  One folder is Chillout.  The other is 80s Dance.  80’s Dance has Hi-NRG, Synthpop, New Wave, Eurodance and several other genres.  Chillout similaly has multiple genres.  I DON’T WANT PLAYBACK MIXED BETWEEN THE TWO FOLDERS.

If I put both folders on the player and want to play the chillout album ONLY, I would - using the retarded mindset behind the player firmware design - have to REMOVE the CORRECT ALBUM TAGGING on the files and replace it with something stupidly mundane like “Chillout”.  I’d also have to do something similar with the contents of the 80s Dance folder.   Somehow that oh-so-simple concept of use escaped the trained (or rather untrained) chimps who designed the Fuze+ firmware and who deigned to remocve the folder support that had been added to the original Fuze which permits just such an occurrence.

Gawd, the simplicity of the above is so blatantly obvious that it ■■■■■ slaps one across the face.  Hell, oh I don’t know, RADIO employs this concept EVERY DAY.

Yes, but this would only take a few minutes. If the Fuze+ was in MSC mode, you could access your chillout folder with MP3Tag and change the genre of everything in that folder in one fell swoop, to “chillout”, without it changing on your original files on your computer. You could then repeat the process with your 80’s dance folder. Not that difficult at all.

While I do agree with you that folder support should be in the player, you are really getting a little bit too stressed out over it.:wink:

"have to REMOVE the CORRECT ALBUM TAGGING on the files and replace it with something stupidly mundane like “Chillout”. "

ROJ, why don’t you use the genre tag for this? Those files in your chillout folder cobe given the chillout genre, and the in the 80s folder could be given the genre 80s.

easiest solution for this would be to create 2 playlists. just open WMP drag the first folder to WMP and create play list sync tat to the player then to the second one. now you have 2 playlists that will only play what you want. pretty easy solution. 

@marvin_martian wrote:

Yes, but this would only take a few minutes. If the Fuze+ was in MSC mode, you could access your chillout folder with MP3Tag and change the genre of everything in that folder in one fell swoop, to “chillout”, without it changing on your original files on your computer. You could then repeat the process with your 80’s dance folder. Not that difficult at all.

While I do agree with you that folder support should be in the player, you are really getting a little bit too stressed out over it.:wink:

I’m sorry but NO.

I *properly* tagged my files (with mp3tag, by the way), I do use MSC (I hate applications “managing” my players) and will NOT change the PROPER tagging information just because some stupid chimp can’t design and implement proper usabiluity that a mentally challenged flea could grasp.

And actually, this ain’t stressed.  This is my normal modus operandi.  Stressed is an entirely different animal.  I just don’t suffer fools or foolishness gladly (I’m an IT Security analyst by profession and in this biz, examples of that are legion).  When things are executed with intelligence, I am ther soul of sweetness and light. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

Sandisk just desperately needs to get a clue.

@jk98 wrote:

"have to REMOVE the CORRECT ALBUM TAGGING on the files and replace it with something stupidly mundane like “Chillout”. "

ROJ, why don’t you use the genre tag for this? Those files in your chillout folder cobe given the chillout genre, and the in the 80s folder could be given the genre 80s.

Thanks but as I already pointed out in the original post, I’m using the Genre for the correct genre of each song, be it Nu Jazz, Chillout, Lo-Fi or whatever.  A type of music is a type of music.  Intelligent firmware design is intelligent firmware design.

@drlucky wrote:

easiest solution for this would be to create 2 playlists. just open WMP drag the first folder to WMP and create play list sync tat to the player then to the second one. now you have 2 playlists that will only play what you want. pretty easy solution. 

WMP???

AAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!

I just lost my cookies.

However, the idea has some merit if Foobar2000 (is there any surprise that this example of terminal excellence is what I use for a player?) can do that…

@roj wrote:

I do use MSC (I hate applications “managing” my players) and will NOT change the PROPER tagging information just because some stupid chimp can’t design and implement proper usabiluity that a mentally challenged flea could grasp.

Um,

I guess I do not understand the hate of MTP mode. You do not have to have any application “managing” the player in MTP mode. You can drag and drop in MTP mode all you want (at least in Windows 7 it worked for me).

It would also allow you to create playlists. I guees it depends on how you use the device, but to me it seems inefficient to try to manage GB of data through folders. I would rather create playlists and manage ID tags through an applciation. Of course, it is easy for me to say this since I do “manage” my device through an application and never had a need for folder navigation.

Why are people against MTP mode?

@bret19 wrote:

MTP = Most Traumatic Problems

:stuck_out_tongue:

i dont get it either. if you have an up to date computer MTP is not a problem. In Win 7 MTP is great. Device stage is really nice but it requires MTP.

It is much better on newer computers than older ones, true

I’m running a 3.4Ghz Quad Core w/8Gb RAM and Windows 7 x64 so an up-to-date rig ain’t the issue.

I **HATE** MTP.  I have never and will never like software garbage that “manages” my music or videos.  I’m not an Apple user - I’m an intelligent one.  If I wanted to sink to that level, I’d have bought an iPod.  It would be a fair assessment to say that I have more music than the vast majority of you can even imagine and it’s all catalogued, indexed and managed - but not by WMP, iTunez or anything else mundane like that.  The server that houses a fraction of it has 4.5Tb and an intelligent folder structure and I can find anything I want in a few seconds despite the sheer quantty of the material involved.

I like doing things MY way and not what a vendor thinks or dictates what it thinks I should.

Pretty straightforward, I should think…

@bret19 wrote:

Because I have to have yet another piece of software to do what I can already intelligently do?  Because I like the concept of plugging in a device, dropping files to it like a USB key and moving on without having to have something bloated and horrendous launch and try and do it for me?

Because the concept of the above blows?

Many just prefer the convenience of using a music manager to do the work for them.  I’m glad that sansa players have the option of being able to use MSC mode and not needing an app to be able to transfer music to the player.

you all do know drag and drop works in mtp as well right. you do not have to use a syncing program with MTP. i mostly only use drag and drop except for licensed content.

@drlucky wrote:

you all do know drag and drop works in mtp as well right. you do not have to use a syncing program with MTP. i mostly only use drag and drop except for licensed content.

Actually, it appears some people do not know that you can drag and drop in MTP mode. I guess if you yell loud enough around here about crappy software programs managing your programs you don’t really have undestand that drag and drop is available in MTP.

These are very common misconceptions, the thought that MTP is only for software transfers and MSC is only for drag and drop.

As drlucky says, you can indeed drag and drop in MTP…and by the same token, you can use a software manager with a player that is in MSC mode too. I find it amusing that the anti-MTP crowd gets so outraged at it when the subject is brought up, like it is the plague.

I keep any player I own that offers MSC mode (which right now is all of them) in MSC mode…and I also have a current computer running 64-bit Win 7.  I do my tag editing with either my ripping and converting programs ( EAC, foobar2000 and xrecode II ), or with MP3Tag. But what do I use to load music and podcasts to my player? MediaMonkey Gold…with my MSC players.

One crucial condition of that, is I have all the automatic sync functions disabled… I choose what goes on the player. The main thing about the music managers that freaks people out is the mayhem that can ensue from the auto-sync functionality. For me, it is easier than simply dragging and dropping, most of the time…especially since I already am connecting almost daily to load my podcasts.

Once in a while, do I just drag and drop something here and there? Sure. But I don’t have these prejudices against one method or the other, like so many people seem to. I have no DRM content to listen to, and I don’t have music formats that are incompatible with my players, so there is no reason for me to use MTP (one benefit of MTP is that it will not load incompatible content onto an MTP player).

Actually, MSC is a necessity for me, given Rockbox…but even before I started to use it, I always kept my Sansa players in MSC. But really, people need to get over the hate for MTP, and educate themselves…these misconceptions are far too common. If it doesn’t work for you, fine…but there’s no need to ■■■■■ about it.:dizzy_face:

And just because one considers oneself  “intelligent” does not necessarily make their approach the correct one.:wink:

MTP allows you to right-click on a track, and then drag-and-drop a playlist together, all in one operation too.  There’s more to it than meets the eye, as it’s a virtual mode.  The only quirk I don’t like with it is printing a lile list.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: