New zip clip won't update or tell version of firmware I have

Keep getting message from updater that says service not available,winxp pro.:angry:

Don’t use the firmware updater. Just download the firmware update, unzip it, and then put it on the player.

And to tell what firmware version is on the player, go to Settings > System Settings > Info and read the Version (top) line.

Go away, oh ye little spammers . . . .  Reported (along with your other one on the Zip board).

Mine does the same thing.

While the manual approach did (does) work – something is broken / not correct and I’d like to know what it is.

The Updater just can be wonky–more likely than not, it’s not you or your computer.

Do note:  when you have the Updater installed on your computer, it is constantly “on” on your computer, as far as I am aware, consuming computer resources and memory.  For a tool necessary so infrequently, this really doesn’t seem to be necessary. 

@davidk21770 wrote:

Mine does the same thing.

While the manual approach did (does) work – something is broken / not correct and I’d like to know what it is.

Sometimes it’s your firewall or anti-virus software that prevents connection with the Updater server.