New e260v2 will not charge

I just opened the box, plugged the charger to the unit and popped it into a USB drive and left it for 4 hours. As I watched the battery bar looked like it was charging for about 5minutes then turned white.

Four hours later I unplugged the unit and got a low power warning and shut itself off. I figured it wasnt in all the way in so I made sure the connection was tight and left it for 3 hours. Come back later to see the same result. Am I doing something wrong, or was I blessed with a lemon?

Message Edited by aasgnt on 12-16-2008 03:48 PM

You could try a different USB port, preferably one in the back of a desktop computer. Front ports and laptops sometimes don’t have enough horsepower to adequately charge your Sansa.

You said you just opened the box . . . was this a new unit in SanDisk packaging, or a ‘re-furb’ in a plain white box? Re-furbs can be an excellent value, but there’s always a gamble with them. As Dirty Harry so eloquently put it, “You’ve got to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?”

But then again, you could make lemonade, although around here it’s a little cold for that right now. :smileyvery-happy:

If it’s a new v2, the device may be trying to establish an MTP USB connection.  If that doesn’t happen, it will get distracted from charging.

To resolve this, open a Windows Explorer window on your PC, by pressing [Windows Key] + E, or go to My Computer.

With the window open, slide the HOLD switch atop the e260 to the right (orange will be showing).  I’m pretty sure your Sansa is OFF at this point; if it isn’t, press and hold the menu / power button for 15 seconde, then release.

Press and hold the << button down while plugging in to the USB port.  Don’t release the button until the Sansa says “connected” and it pops up in the Windows Explorer window.

If all is well, you will see the Sansa as two flash drives, listed under devices with removable storage.

We have an MSC connection at this point, and the Sansa should be charging: look for a rolling battery icon, and a little lightning bolt.

Let the Sansa charge up for a few hours, if you see the lightning bolt.

Once the battery is charged, you can disconnect, and see if the device stays powered up.  BE SURE to slide the HOLD / LOCK switch back to the left, or it will say “system shutdown”.

Turn on your new Sansa, and try navigating about.  Select a few of the sample songs, and see how it plays.

The next step is simple: Go to Settings > Info and read the first line listed.  You will need to upgrade firmware version 03.01.16 , provided that the existing firmware listing starts with an 03.  So, what does it say?  If your firmware is 03.01.11, you will most definitely need to update, as these devices do not have the USB mode option in the Settings menu.

IF you have a later version, you can check the USB setting by going to Settings > USB Mode > Auto Detect / MTP / MSC.

The next step will be to establish an MTP connection if you plan to use your Sansa with any files with DRM, such as Rhapsody, Napster, Audible, Overdrive, etc.  If you don’t have protected media in your plans, all you will need do is update your firmware via this thread.

You’ve just learned how to connect your Sansa in MSC mode manually, allowing the update.  Shut off the player, slide the HOLD switch, and connect while holding the << button.

The most likely reason your device did not charge in the initial plug-in was a break in the MTP pipeline.  Media Transfer Protocol is the default connection method of a brand new e260v2, if it has the earliest firmware.

A few words regarding MTP: this Microsoft protocol requires a minimum of Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 (WiMP11 is better).  Otherwise, after switching to MSC mode, you can run your Sansa just fine!

Let us know if the issue is a lost MTP connection.  We can go down that road next.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Wowzer, TY Bob. So far the lightning bolt hasnt changed. I will leave it be and let you know how it turns out. Ty :slight_smile:

Went through all the steps you said, before I went to bed I have a full battery and songs on my Sansa. Thanks for your help Bob!

I had same prob using windows xp. open my computer, then hit manage tab, then device manager, under usb controllers. now when you plug in the sansa fuse you will see a yellow cirlcle pop up under mass storage unit. try this  go into you fuse setting under usb then pick bottom one should be msc. unplug it then plug it in a again once it finds it let windows do its things for a minute then you should be fine hope it helps.

thanks for info bob you helped me figure mine out.