New Micro SDHC card reads as empty in Clip Zip after refreshing

Hi,

I have a fairly new clip zip and a brand new san Disk 32G SDHC card, class 4.  I started loading music in it by directly copying folders onto the card while in my laptop.  When I insert the card into the clipzip, it refreshes the files, but if I try and access the card either through the card menu, or folders on the music menu, it shows everything is empty.

Anyone have any help?

Thanks

SanDisk Guru

Re: New Micro SDHC card reads as empty in Clip Zip after refreshing

I think if you want to use an external card reader (like on a laptop) you need to have the player in MSC mode. Try switching it under settings and see if that fixes it. (I could be wrong, never used MTP mode at all)
Highlighted

The Clip Zip can locate all files on the card, regardless of mode of transfer used (MTP or MSC), but the device's USB controller will show only one mode at a time when accessed from the PC (Sansa plugged in).

Using a separate card reader, the card will generally be accessed as an MSC device.  The Clip Zip can access the card in either mode.

If no files are showing when accessed from the Clip Zip (unplugged), try transferring a single file to the card using the Clip Zip as the reader.

MicroSD card compatibility was addressed in the latest build of the Clip Zip's firmware.  If you havent done so yet, update the Clip Zip's firmware using the Sansa Updater, or by following the steps in the firmware thread here.

microsansa

SanDisk Guru

Did you put the card in the player when it was off? Inserting a card in the player when it is on can cause issues.

[ Edited ]

Saratoga, Thanks for the suggestion.  It was on auto detect, but I tried again on both settings, and no change.

I did put the card in when the device was off.

The card is a Sansa card, and is formatted FAT32

I just successfully updated the firmware, and still no change.

When I was putting files on the card, I was just using Windows explorer.  The files are in a folder heirarchy as so: Artist/Album/* *.mp3 files

I tried first copying the entire folder structure for each artist, then tried just the song folders, to see if that had anything to do with it.  Will the ClipZip read the folders heirarchy?  Do I have to just copy individual files?  That seems silly as then, i would have no filing system on the device.

Any other suggestions?

SanDisk Guru

Are the tags ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1? That is what the player needs.

Sorry - I don't know what tags are in this context or how I would know that.

SanDisk Guru

Extra! Extra! Read all about it:

ID3 tags

Thanks for the link but that is gibberish to me, really. Smiley Happy  The tracks I have put on the internal harddrive work fine.  Also, I am not even seeing the file structure - artists/album folders - when I try to read the disc in the Clip Zip.  It just shows as [empty].

Does anyone know for sure when putting tracks on a card to read in the clip zip, whether you add artist and album folders?   Woudl that even matter with my current issue?

SanDisk Guru

Did you use Windows Media Player to rip the songs from CD? If you didn't change the settings, it will rip to protected WMA. You should change the settings to have it rip to mp3, and choose at least 192 for the bitrate for decent sound quality(I use 256 kbps). If your songs were ripped to protected wma, I suggest you rerip them to mp3 and use at least 192 kbps.

Are these mp3 files, or in another format the player supports? If they are protected WMA files, they need to be transfered to the player using Windows Media Player, or another media player that transfers the licenses, and you need to use MTP mode to transfer them.  Loading protected wma files directly on the card in the pc will make them unplayable.  Some protected music(especially subscription music?) might need to be in main memory and not card memory to be playable.

If files are too deeply nested(ie. folders in folders in folders, etc.) the player might not see them. How many songs do you have on the player? They claim an 8,000 song limit, however if you have long tags, or path names, the limit might be much lower.