New Clip Zip headphone Jack broken?

I had to retire my clip+ because the headphone jack broke.  I purchased a new Clip Zip and day 1 the headphone jack produces a lot of static.  Pluging in the headphone I can only hear out of one side.  I pluged into a speaker and after playing around with it, was able to hear, however it does not have the same ease of use of the clip+.  Plugged in the next day into the car and only static.  HELP what is wrong with your 3.5mm connections?

If this is a new player, be aware that the headphone jacks on these things are extremely tight. Sometimes you have to twist and push the plug in harder than what you might think necessary to get it seated completely.

We actually hear questions like this a lot and 95% (or more) of the time, it’s due to the plug not being inserted all the way into the jack. If of course, it is a rare defective jack SanDisk would replace it under warranty for you. But then again, if it’s brand new, you may get quicker service by returning it to where you bought it from for another one.

I did push hard after I had no sound. But after pushing all the way in, t seems like I have to pull it out a bit to get sound.  In my car, I could get it to work but as soon as I lay the player down on the passenger seat or consol all I get is static.

The sole purpose of my MP3 is  for audiobooks from overdrive.   I have check other manufacturers snd there are not too many MP3s on the market that support protected WMA delivered by overdrive.  Being I have had this issue with the jack before with my Chip+, I am reluctant to exchange for a different unit.   Trying to understand why this is happening. 

FYI - I called support and was told that I would get a call back in 30 minutes, it has been about 2 hours

@audiobooklover wrote:

I did push hard after I had no sound. But after pushing all the way in, t seems like I have to pull it out a bit to get sound.  In my car, I could get it to work but as soon as I lay the player down on the passenger seat or consol all I get is static.

Everything you say still sounds like it isn’t all the way in. Did you twist the plug (maybe even back & forth) while pushing it in?