Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Metal button panel and back clip?

@TonyBigs wrote:

Is it really metal or "metal looking" (painted, brushed plastic with a metallic coating) ?

Good point.  It's plastic with a metal-looking coating.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Well, my blue one arrived today, and it is actually a darker blue than in the computer pictures. The buttons on the front have that metallic look, but the clip does not.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

So the only difference is the metal-plated back of the clip? All the other ones I've seen have the metallic-looking keypad, including mine and any I've seen featured on websites like Amazon, SanDisk, etc.

The only one I've seen that deviated from this is the black one

The actual keypad appears and feels metalic. It has a more flat appearance without the grooves you can see on plastic version which is just metalic paint. The clip still has a plastic peice but the outside section has the additional metal strip stuck on it. It does feel a bit more stiffer when you press it, but that could just be the effect of pressing down on metal as oppose to plastic.

SanDisk User

Picked up one of these at Costco yesterday ($39.99 after $15 instant rebate).  The back of the clip is definitely aluminum, the front panel pad is painted silver on a "brushed" plastic surface.  The small buttons:  on/off, volume, select, seem to be not painted surfaces but vacuum deposited metal (not paint) which should decrease wear.  The buttons appear to a bit more shiny than the originals.  The printed indication for "microsd" seems to be a brighter white.

I wonder if there are other variations?

The firmware on my player is 1.0.1.15A

Get 'em while you can.

SanDisk Guru

Still think that SanDisk could do well with an "Olympics" metal/metal-colored line of Clips: gold, silver/platinum and bronze (different metals/colors for different capacities). Smiley Happy Plus, it would be nice to have some attractive cases (ok, how about even ONE?) available for the Zip line, apart from the silicones that are around and that cover the Zip's attractiveness. Leather cases always add class . . . .