M250 - Is it normal for it to forget all settings when turned off ?

I spent much of yesterday working with Sandisk, trying to RMA my unit. A support person said mine was one of a bad batch and I should fax them my proof of purchase. I did that and it showed that buy.com represented it as being marked “refurbished” but being new factory overstock. Sandisk finally responded that they do not warrant refurbished merchandise and I will have to deal with the seller. I initiated the RMA process with buy.com, and will send today if my local UPS store is open. I have a prepaid mailing label off buy.com’s site. Buy.com’s policy is that defective merchandise cannot be credited to the buyer but can only be replaced. I just hope the replacement doesn’t have the same problem.

In preparing to send back the unit I thought I should delete the files I’d copied to the flash memory. I had copied two large (~170 MB) MP3s, and also created one or two directories. Last night, however, I found that I could not connect to the m250 with either of my XP computers. It did not show up in Explorer. The m250 said it was connected by USB using MTP. I figure I’ll just have to send it back as is, not that it matters.

I wonder if creating those directories effectively made it impossible to connect. That’s the only thing I can think of. With the next one (unless I’m assured that I should be able to create directories), I will just put all my MP3s in the default directory (called Audible, IIRC). I presume that the m250 uses ID3 tags to sort and find files. I create most of my own MP3s without tags, only file names so I guess I may have to look into creating tags for them with information that helps me manage (i.e. find) the files. Presently, when I start the player one of my 2 MP3s is automatically queued up.

Again, I regret the evident fact that the m250 doesn’t support resume.

Edit : Actually, I believe the player does support resume, it’s just that mine was faulty. I’m RMAing my player and expect I’ll have much better feelings about the m250 when I get its replacement.

Message Edited by Muse on 02-01-2008 06:17 PM