Lunix user and feeling completely abandoned. :(

I’m an exclusive lunix user. So far the only playlist I can use is a M3U I edit myself which has to be in the same directory as the MP3s (cauing all sorts of duplicate song issues). And NO ONE has come up with a single alternative. All “get a real operating system” comments will be heartily laughed at. Anyone who has any actual solutions (maybe a PLA but I dont think the plus supports them) will be greatly appreciated.

@osixpterripus wrote:
I’m an exclusive lunix user. So far the only playlist I can use is a M3U I edit myself which has to be in the same directory as the MP3s (cauing all sorts of duplicate song issues). And NO ONE has come up with a single alternative. All “get a real operating system” comments will be heartily laughed at. Anyone who has any actual solutions (maybe a PLA but I dont think the plus supports them) will be greatly appreciated.

I think its hard to get support here if you are really using LUnix ( L ittle Unix , for Comodore64 and 128, see Lunix in wikipedia).

If you are using linux there are some people here how might can help you. I myself use ubuntu-linux and have created m3u with easytag. But these where, as you already stated, per directory files. Try the forum search for linux, there are some howtos out there.

Hey, is there anything cooler than the KDE desktop?  Linux allows you stability and control  that just can’t be beat.  I like the kubuntu distribution.  On my netbook, the core of the splashtop interface is linux, very clean, and very fast.

Have a look at this Wikipedia page, it has details on the Media Transfer Protocol system,  or MTP.  In this mode, tailored originally under the Windows OS, your Sansa is recognized as a media device rather than as a mounted storage device.

MTP allows automated operation of many functions, especially nice with music or other media files, album art, metadata, and lastly, simple playlist integration without path issues using pla format lists.

Look down the linked page regarding libmtp.  This may allow you to integrate pla format playlists.

The biggest problem with the linux platform is that most available software is targeted at the mass market, meaning that Windows is the norm.  Actually, on the other mass market side, Apple’s offerings are based upon the same idea, software that’s turnkey.  Well, don’t get me started on that debacle (it’s a closed universe)…

If your desire is to use the functionalities of MTP, this is a great starting point.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’m using rhythmbox (gnome-desktop) to fill my daugthers Creative Zen Mozaic in MTP -mode successfully. Also played around with MTP and Sandisk clip and Clip+, it worked.

Before using MTP-connections I have to start Rhythmbox and then connect the player. The other way round never worked for me. This holds true for Gnomad2 and Amarok also.

For integration in Rhythmbox in MSC -mode you can place a file in the root-dir of your player named .is_audio_player with some settings and with that your player will be treaten like an mtp-device.? Thats the way i sync all my sansas.

With that you can sync any mass-storage-device with your collection.

Linux is great :wink:

I tried setting up a .is_audio_player file with all the extras including “playlist_path=Playslist/” only to find the Fuze+ does not recognize “PLS” playlists at all. Still no joy here. :frowning:

Hate to follow up on my own post but the idea of using Rhythmbox to sync is not going to work. My results are: if I don’t include a playlist format at all in the is_audio_player file and Rhythm box creates a PLS file which is not recognized as a playlist on the fuxe+. I can include “playlist_format=audio/x-iriver-pla”. Again a PLA is not recognized as a playlist by the fuze+. I can include “playlist_format=audio/x-mpegurl” and the M3U has all the same path problems as before. Sorry to say this but Im still feeling completely abandoned.

I can see why you are frustrated. Many times manufacturers forget that there are other OSes out there but Win…

I learned the hard way to check compatibility to linux before i buy something. That can be hard and timeconsuming…

But sometimes i forget to check some aspect and sometimes a aspect comes to mind when the thing is already on my desk :angry:

For Rhthmbox-is_audio_player method, did you check the ‘playlist_path=playlists/’ setting?

I found a commandline-program for creating m3u-files for linux: fapg. It can write apart from other formats m3u, also in windows format (backslashes), check the man-page for all options.

Did you try MTP-mode as Neutron_Bob suggested with Rhythmbox? 

“playlist_path=playlists/” Yes I tried that. Actually it should be “playlist_path=Playlists/”. It actually put the playlists in the proper directory but of course none of the play lists actually worked. As for M3Us, I have tried everything that everyone has ever suggested to get paths to work. I have used unix2dos. I have started the entries with “\MUSIC”, “\Music” actual spelling, “Music” with it being in the root dir, “\mmc:0:\Music”. Sorry but as those who posted to the M3U - M3U8 thread will tell you, Paths in M3U files are broken in the Fuze+. If you want a M3U to work, it has to be in the same directory as the music, and that is one of my big complaints.