Instructions on how to change a Sansa Express from MTP mode to MSC mode

You are incorrect.

They absolutely do.

You can perform the instructions on one PC and it will still be recognized as an MSC device on another,WinXp is still the predominant OS.

But if it makes you feel better to start a meaningless discussion over a distiction without a difference, have at it.:wink:

Message Edited by tmarkoski on 12-04-2008 08:44 AM

How changing a device driver on one computer and changing nothing on the Sansa Express itself changes the player and not the host computer is beyond me.

But we will let others find out, eh?  

Again, If you feel compelled start a meaningless discussion over a distiction without a difference, knock yourself out.

The Express is an MTP device, the ONLY method that works to ‘convert’ it to MSC are in the instructions.

The instructions actually work, which was the point to being with.

That’s what these forums are for.

But you are too busy starting a peeing contest to actually observe that salient point.

What was the point of your original response post again?

Oh yeah, that’s right.

It served no useful purpose at all and served to tell us all that water is wet and rocks are hard.:wink:

Feel free to go back to herding cats now.

Message Edited by tmarkoski on 12-04-2008 02:13 PM

I agreed they worked.

I was just specific about what they work to do.

As you now admit, the Express is an MTP device.

The only way to make it operate as MSC is to change the host so it doesn’t support MTP for the Express.

Thanks for making my point.

Wow… Thanks, Tmark, for posting this very useful link.  However, LoisCatherine makes an important and definitely relevant point.  I’ve no idea why you reacted so defensively to her (innocuous to me) post.

@sulsa wrote:
Wow… Thanks, Tmark, for posting this very useful link.  However, LoisCatherine makes an important and definitely relevant point.  I’ve no idea why you reacted so defensively to her (innocuous to me) post.

You’re welcome.

No, she didn’t.

I don’t suffer fools willingly.

Can these instructions work for Vista?  The prompts are the same, up to a point, but then I don’t have a choice not to automatically search for the software.

Yes, they will work on Vista.

When you are asked to either “Let Windows Search” or “Browse”, pick “Browse”.

Then select “Let me pick”.

Thanks - those instructions worked, but now I have another problem.

The Sandisk is now showing with not one, but two drive letters - D: and J:  The program to update the firmware is now telling me that it can’t find the updatable Sandisk.  Do I need to update manually, following the other instructions on this forum?

@sulsa wrote:

Thanks for the support.  

@rubykaye wrote:

Thanks - those instructions worked, but now I have another problem.

The Sandisk is now showing with not one, but two drive letters - D: and J:  The program to update the firmware is now telling me that it can’t find the updatable Sandisk.  Do I need to update manually, following the other instructions on this forum?

The first drive letter is the internal memory.

The second drive letter is the Micro SD memory card slot.

Ah … that makes sense.  Do I have to put a micro chip in that slot in order to use the automatic updater?

@rubykaye wrote:
Ah … that makes sense.  Do I have to put a micro chip in that slot in order to use the automatic updater?

No

I encounter the same problem. So how can I do the firmware upgrade?

Thanks for these instructions.  My sansa express came up with a copying error when uploading, with this mode I was just able to drag and drop new music into the drive.

Try updating in MTP mode.

The Express appears to automatically switch to the needed MSC mode automatically.

This behavior is a documented option in the Fuze.

To tmarkoski.

Thanks a lot. I bought a new Sansa Express and out of Excitement I bought a 4GB Micro SD too, but I was not able to use it , but after reading your post I was able to do it.

Once again Thanks

Pratap

To all those who are not so technocrats like me; if you want to switch back to MTP mode follow the procedure given in the Pdf of tmarkoski user till Number 5 and then click Next and select “MTP Device”.

Message Edited by shaz on 02-10-2009 11:08 PM

This was a lifesaver. And, so easy! Thanks

THis didn’t work for my sansa 260R

For one thing It lists my sansa under “disk Drives” in the device manager( and it lists 2 of them?) and when I get to the box where I’m suposed to be able to select USB Mass Storage device it’s not an option, my only option is “disk Drive”

I can’t get my sansa to format ( it says it’s formating but when I start it it hasn’t erased anything) so I wanted to check it for errors and read another post saying to put it in MSC mode to do so, but I can’t get that to work either. any ideas?