How can I tell if I my e200 is version 1, 2, Or Rhapsody?

So , CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH IS THE BEST VERSION OF SANSA E200 series ?

The v2 is widely regarded as the improved version, once you upgrade the factory firmware. Unless you want to use Rockbox, which only works (so far) on the v1.

So … V2 is better than RAPSODY ?

Quick question please:  Are all of the 8gig models Version 2?  thanks.

No, as Version 1 players are still floating around in stores. In both Future Shop and Best Buy, I was told that the e200 players (all sizes) in the old white/green boxes (Lil Monsta) are version 1, while those in the newer blue/black boxes are version 2. I picked up a blue/black one and it did turn out to be v2. I had previously e-mailed Sansa asking if the box designs were any indication of whether a version 1 or 2 player was inside, and they told me that there is no way of telling between v1 and v2 from the box. I think they only said that because sometimes the wrong player is put into the wrong box and they didn’t want to guarantee that all blue boxes had v2s, but I’d bet that most of the v2s have been matched with the blue/black boxes.

Sound quality is terrific, I haven’t listened to the v1 to be able to compare, but there is absolutely no background buzzing on songs unless at the max volume. A welcome surprise since the last mp3 player I bought and returned was the Samsung U3 (on Boxing Day) and on that one you could hear the whirrings of the machinery even on the minimum volume setting. I’m really thrilled with my purchase and glad I won’t be back at FS soon to return this too!

speedypear wrote:

I was told that … …those in the newer blue/black boxes are version 2.

Don’t rely on the packaging to determine if the player is a V1 or a V2.

I purchased three e200’s. Each came in the identical blue boxes. Two of the players are V1 and one is a V2. 

The best way to check which version you have is to check the firmware number.

Edited to clarify that speedypear isn’t claiming that the blue/black boxes are version 2s.

Message Edited by Mr_Moose on 03-09-2008 07:51 AM

Yeah, you can’t rely on packaging completely, but otherwise there’s nothing else you can do. The Sansa rep that I e-mailed said to look at the production date…since there’s no other date present, I’m guessing this means the small print on the side of the box that says Copyright (year). If it says 2006, it’s probably a v1, and 2007, likely a v2 as they were pretty recently made. At the moment I’d say the v2s are most likely to be in the blue boxes rather than the Lil Monsta ones. But then again, you can never be sure of what you’re getting until you check the firmware, right?

A heads up about the e260 refurbs from Buy.com.  The one I got was a v1.  I wanted one in large part for audible books which v1 doesnt support.  they say they wont take back refurbs but i made a little noise and they took it back and also covered the shipping back.  maybe they dont know if these are v1 or v2 or maybe they are a mixture of both, but I think it is unethical for them to not portray the product correctly.  55 bucks for a v2 refurb is a nice price…isnt so nice for a refurbed v1.

I posted feedback <in a nice way> in the buy.com feedback section and they never put the feedback up…gee, i wonder why?  so i am passing this along so maybe others dont get duped and will make it a point to not buy andything from buy.com again

My public library uses Netlibrary.  Am I out of luck with my new e280 v2?  I went through their test procvedure where they have me download Moby **bleep** and go through various tests, fastforwarding, etc.  It plays and pauses OK (although I didn’t try playing through the whole thing straight), and I can even fast forward for about the first 15-20 minutes.  But if I try to fast foward beyond that it goes to 00:00:00 and stops playing.  The track is about 21:15:00 in length.

i have been reading this section and am still insainly confused.

i have a Sansa e250

it doesn’t say v2 on the back

the version file says in the mp3 player says;

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-02.18-S301.02.18A-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-02.18-S301.02.18A-D
ODM Ver.: S301-02.18-S301.02.18A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.02.18A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2006.11.03
Build Number: (Build 32.10)                                                 

The Updater says Version 1.02.18

and it came in th Lil’Monster white and green box

i see some say that the version code interperates to v2 but others say that the box and updater  version number say v1, i really would like just to update this without breaking it. so is it v1 or v2?

thanks in advance 

easiest way is to just check your firmware. 18a is a v1, version 2 players start with 03 in the firmware version. Yours starts with 01

Thanks so much was getting totally lost on what was the version number!

Sucre 08 de abril de 2008

Hola a todos…

En especial agradecer a sandisck por que la empresa es muy buena, me solucionaron el problema que tenia con mi equipo, en especial a mi estimada amiga Lina Torres de SanDisk Soporte Técnico y aque sin su ayuda no ubiera podido estar contento con mi equipo gracias nuevamente

Atte.

victor

Pd. Por favor sugiero que inicien una pagina en español

@facesnorth wrote:
My public library uses Netlibrary.  Am I out of luck with my new e280 v2?  I went through their test procvedure where they have me download Moby **bleep** and go through various tests, fastforwarding, etc.  It plays and pauses OK (although I didn’t try playing through the whole thing straight), and I can even fast forward for about the first 15-20 minutes.  But if I try to fast foward beyond that it goes to 00:00:00 and stops playing.  The track is about 21:15:00 in length.

I recently purchased an E280 v2 as well and had it all loaded with digital books from my library (used OverDrive and WM to load the E280).  Then, tried to use the player on a long car trip and was extremely frustrated by the inability to keep a bookmark when shutting down as well as the same fast forward issues you experienced.  When I got home, I used the Sansa Firmware Updater to get to the latest level of firmware.  Now, the E280 works exactly as would have hoped.  I hope this helps with your issue with Netlibrary.

The only reliable way of telling the difference is, if it’s not recognized by your computer when you plug it in, it’s a Version 2. If it is recognized, it’s likely a Version 1.

I cannot tell what version my sansa is, its an e280. But on the back it says Rhapsody and at the bottom right corner it says e280r. WHICH IS WRONG ! NONE of the Rhapsody things are on my mp3. When i check the version in the info it says “version: 01.02.15A” what does that mean?!

PLUS - my music stopped working, i deleted all my songs off, and i added all my new ones, but everytime i go to play music an error pops up and says “no songs” so i check the file on my pc and it shows tons of my music on it. this is messed, i really need help.

i cant listen to music anymore. Pfft, i might just return it or exchange it for something better. The sansa is TICKIN me off.

Sounds like you may need a new copy of the firmware.  Check the firmware thread, and install the v1 firmware.

Your back may have been swapped, is the unit refurbished?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Nope, we bought it brand new from staples.

I just gave up and returned it for another one, the one i got is the same (an 8gb) but its now a v2 and im happy as anything, its working great… but theres one thing, the videos, when i put them on and then go to play them, they are upside down while playing? iunno its a bit messed. cant figure out that one, but other than that the v2 is THE best, im glad that my *unknown one broke, this one is much better. The 8gbs were on sale for $119. something and then got $33 back, for the same mp3, which was awesome!

Message Edited by nikolasharris on 06-15-2008 05:24 PM

Very nice!  You’ll notice plenty of differences with the v2, starting from the moment you power her up.  The screen is sharp and evenly illuminated, without the two horizontal ghost lines (actually, it’s a ghost region of sorts looking at it) on the SanDisk screen.  The shadow detail (reflection) below the logo looks very cool, as well as the new blue sansa logo.

Notice the crazy fast boot time too.  The new machine uses the AustriaMicrosystems processor common with the Clip and new Fuze.  The v2 is the best of both worlds, with the rugged case of the e200v1, replaceable battery, the new tighter and more flush scroll wheel, and the sound!

The new generation devices are Rhapsody PFS compatible too, meaning that installing and using Rhapsody is a snap.  Rhapsody Channels, previously the sole domain of the Rhapsody Sansa, are available from the main menu. And Audible support…   Yeah, SanDisk made some major changes under the familiar skin of the e200.

The µSDHC port accepts high capacity cards, and you can store video on them too.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@nikolasharris wrote:

Nope, we bought it brand new from staples.

I just gave up and returned it for another one, the one i got is the same (an 8gb) but its now a v2 and im happy as anything, its working great… but theres one thing, the videos, when i put them on and then go to play them, they are upside down while playing? iunno its a bit messed. cant figure out that one, but other than that the v2 is THE best, im glad that my *unknown one broke, this one is much better. The 8gbs were on sale for $119. something and then got $33 back, for the same mp3, which was awesome!

Message Edited by nikolasharris on 06-15-2008 05:24 PM

Check out this thread . . . seems you’re not the only one having this same video orientation problem.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=smc&thread.id=908