How can I tell if I my e200 is version 1, 2, Or Rhapsody?

Hi,

Id like to see how Audio book Support works on version2. I only have version1, unfortunately, and I Usually listen to Audio books. Could someone describe it ?

Also, any news on constant refresh issue upon Start-Up ?

So… there is no way to tell what version of the e200 version you are buying by looking at the box? That stinks. I was playing with one in the store this evening. Wish I had thought to check the firmware version on it while I was there. If I go back to buy one I’ll have to check the demo unit to see.

Dana

“Has been there an issue which refurbished Sansa e250 players using the back covers labeled e250R as thier model?  Because my e250 player i bought from buy.com has that cover labeled as E250R but I have never seen the Rhapsody option for my player. It also refused to work after i updated with sansa e250R firmware, kept saying “load image failed, switch to recovery mode” but it is working fine with the lastest version of e250 V1 and the sansa media converter has been detecting it as only E250. I just found out this in attempt to get my player back to work after upgrading to the firmware e250r failed.”

Don’t feel bad as I just received my e250 from buy.com Friday.  Dam thing looks brand new and also shows Rhapsody and model: e250R on the back plate.  Yesterday I also tried updating the firmware to the e250R and had the same problem you did.  Took me most of the morning to figure out I had Version V1 and get it back in working order.  I just wonder if the reason some of these units HAVE the refurb sticker on the back is only because they have the wrong backplate on it?

As far as I can tell Best Buy is selling the Rhapsody version of the e200 series. The package has a product number that includes “RAP” or “RHAP,” can’t remember. On the front it says Rhapsody enabled. The demo model in the store is nailed down so I cannot get a look at the back of the case.

I know you bought from buy.com, do you still have the packaging to check… just curious.

Dana

No! The refurbs from buy.com just come with the ear phones and the usb cable packed in an anti-static bubble bag and sent in a plain box. 

Is there a way to update your player to e200v2?

Because I like the v2 better and I have v1 on the e270 and with v1 my wheel moves around in places it’s not supposed to, for example: when I’m scrolling down often it starts to up and then down and then up. 

Please reply to this as soon as you see this

You can’t change a v1 to a v2. They are different pieces of hardware. The v2 firmware won’t work in a v1.

Hey guys,

so there is no way when you buy these products to tell which one you are buying? That seems rather unfair, since they do have noticably different specs.

Would anyone know if those Sansa e250’s sold by Amazon.com are v1 or v2? I’d hope it was at least v2, because i do plan on watching videos on it. Aside from the difference in speed, are there any other differences that cannot be taken care of by using different firmware/Rockbox?

Link is here.

Thanks for your help.

The audio  specs are for a v1 because it does not include Audible (.aa) among its supported audio formats.  The additional memory spec says MicroSD,  not the MicroSDHC that is supported by the v2.

But lots of sellers just cut-and-paste specs and don’t check them against the unit. So short of contacting the seller somehow, you’re not going to be able to tell.

J&R, one of the other sellers, is a very reputable New York City store. You could  call them and ask them to look at the units they are selling. Might be worth the extra $12.

So , CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH IS THE BEST VERSION OF SANSA E200 series ?

So , CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH IS THE BEST VERSION OF SANSA E200 series ?

The v2 is widely regarded as the improved version, once you upgrade the factory firmware. Unless you want to use Rockbox, which only works (so far) on the v1.

So … V2 is better than RAPSODY ?

Quick question please:  Are all of the 8gig models Version 2?  thanks.

No, as Version 1 players are still floating around in stores. In both Future Shop and Best Buy, I was told that the e200 players (all sizes) in the old white/green boxes (Lil Monsta) are version 1, while those in the newer blue/black boxes are version 2. I picked up a blue/black one and it did turn out to be v2. I had previously e-mailed Sansa asking if the box designs were any indication of whether a version 1 or 2 player was inside, and they told me that there is no way of telling between v1 and v2 from the box. I think they only said that because sometimes the wrong player is put into the wrong box and they didn’t want to guarantee that all blue boxes had v2s, but I’d bet that most of the v2s have been matched with the blue/black boxes.

Sound quality is terrific, I haven’t listened to the v1 to be able to compare, but there is absolutely no background buzzing on songs unless at the max volume. A welcome surprise since the last mp3 player I bought and returned was the Samsung U3 (on Boxing Day) and on that one you could hear the whirrings of the machinery even on the minimum volume setting. I’m really thrilled with my purchase and glad I won’t be back at FS soon to return this too!

speedypear wrote:

I was told that … …those in the newer blue/black boxes are version 2.

Don’t rely on the packaging to determine if the player is a V1 or a V2.

I purchased three e200’s. Each came in the identical blue boxes. Two of the players are V1 and one is a V2. 

The best way to check which version you have is to check the firmware number.

Edited to clarify that speedypear isn’t claiming that the blue/black boxes are version 2s.

Message Edited by Mr_Moose on 03-09-2008 07:51 AM

Yeah, you can’t rely on packaging completely, but otherwise there’s nothing else you can do. The Sansa rep that I e-mailed said to look at the production date…since there’s no other date present, I’m guessing this means the small print on the side of the box that says Copyright (year). If it says 2006, it’s probably a v1, and 2007, likely a v2 as they were pretty recently made. At the moment I’d say the v2s are most likely to be in the blue boxes rather than the Lil Monsta ones. But then again, you can never be sure of what you’re getting until you check the firmware, right?

A heads up about the e260 refurbs from Buy.com.  The one I got was a v1.  I wanted one in large part for audible books which v1 doesnt support.  they say they wont take back refurbs but i made a little noise and they took it back and also covered the shipping back.  maybe they dont know if these are v1 or v2 or maybe they are a mixture of both, but I think it is unethical for them to not portray the product correctly.  55 bucks for a v2 refurb is a nice price…isnt so nice for a refurbed v1.

I posted feedback <in a nice way> in the buy.com feedback section and they never put the feedback up…gee, i wonder why?  so i am passing this along so maybe others dont get duped and will make it a point to not buy andything from buy.com again

My public library uses Netlibrary.  Am I out of luck with my new e280 v2?  I went through their test procvedure where they have me download Moby **bleep** and go through various tests, fastforwarding, etc.  It plays and pauses OK (although I didn’t try playing through the whole thing straight), and I can even fast forward for about the first 15-20 minutes.  But if I try to fast foward beyond that it goes to 00:00:00 and stops playing.  The track is about 21:15:00 in length.