How can I tell if I my e200 is version 1, 2, Or Rhapsody?

There isn’t a version of Rockbox available for the v2 (yet).

The v2 needs to have the firmware updated for MSC USB mode, v1 has it out of the box.

v1 cannot delete files from the player itself, v2 can (might be firwmare-update-dependent?)

1 Like

The back of the player may not be correct. The ONLY way to tell is with the firmware.

3.x is a v2.  1.x is a v1 or a Rhapsody. If it’s Rhapsody, it will say so on bootup and under Settings  it will have Rhapsody Channels and the Mode choices will be  Rhapsody/PlaysForSure instead of MSC/MTP.

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 02-24-2008 09:46 AM

FYI… There must be some e280 units out there (non Rhapsody):

Marked e280R and also with the “Rhapsody” logo on the back…

However, they are not Rhapsody players…  I know, because my plain e280 was labelled that.

Buyer beware…

I’m told (from Tech support) Ver 1 of the e280 will only spport a max of 2gig MicroSD Cards
Ver2 of the e280 will support a max of 8 gig SD cards, but i’m not sure. if Micro SD card are the
same as Micro SDHC cards and if Ver 2 will support the Micro SDHC or only  Micro SD.
course I’m not sure if there is a difference between the 2 if there are any, as I’m told that the HC
stands for high capacity.

I found all this out cause(I have a Ver 1) I bought a 4gig Kingston Micro SCHC card, then had to buy a SCHC card reader
cause my regular card reader didn’t reconize the SDHC card and I couldn’t format it.
After I formated it and put some songs on it, I plugged it into the e280, and it would not see them.
Just a heads up for you MP3 junkies out there.

nooner

UPDATE 2/1/08
Found out that Rockbox on Ver1 will and does support 4GB SDHC cards (or at least the version I have, kingston)
It was kind of scary to install, but worth it to get the extra storage, now I just hope rockbox will continue to improve
their program in the future. I see a 32GB SDHC in my distant future. Rockbox seems to have tons of features now
it will take me a week or 2 to get it down. Get this, rockbox even has voice control, I’ve not tried it yet but looks cool.
I believe it’s for blind people to allow them to use their e200, now that’s inovative.

Message Edited by nooner on 01-31-2008 11:50 AM

Message Edited by nooner on 02-01-2008 08:43 AM

Boom boom, could you have bought a refab e280, I believe I seen some refabs at Fry’s

nooner

Message Edited by nooner on 01-31-2008 11:40 AM

I made the mistake of buying (and opening) a 4GB SDHC card, just to find out that I have a v1 player.  Thank you for posting that note about Rockbox supporting SDHC on v1, I will definitely try it. 

Does anyone know if car players (e.g., DLO Transdock http://dlo.com/pressroom/sansa_prod_lineups.tpl, or similar) will work with Rockbox installed (before I buy more incompatible hardware)?

Thanks.

some versions of rock box give you the option to boot with sandisk firmware OR rockbox firmware, just by pressing a certain button upon startup. So either way, i think you should be fine.

Has been there an issue which refurbished Sansa e250 players using the back covers labeled e250R as thier model?  Because my e250 player i bought from buy.com has that cover labeled as E250R but I have never seen the Rhapsody option for my player. It also refused to work after i updated with sansa e250R firmware, kept saying “load image failed, switch to recovery mode” but it is working fine with the lastest version of e250 V1 and the sansa media converter has been detecting it as only E250. 

I just found out this in attempt to get my player back to work after upgrading to the firmware e250r failed.

Message Edited by dude007 on 02-05-2008 10:35 PM

As I pointed out above, you can’t always tell by the back of the unit. The possibly illiterate  labor that builds them may not distinguish between E280 and E280R. If it’s a Rhapsody, it will say so on bootup .

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 02-06-2008 10:31 AM

Hi,

Id like to see how Audio book Support works on version2. I only have version1, unfortunately, and I Usually listen to Audio books. Could someone describe it ?

Also, any news on constant refresh issue upon Start-Up ?

So… there is no way to tell what version of the e200 version you are buying by looking at the box? That stinks. I was playing with one in the store this evening. Wish I had thought to check the firmware version on it while I was there. If I go back to buy one I’ll have to check the demo unit to see.

Dana

“Has been there an issue which refurbished Sansa e250 players using the back covers labeled e250R as thier model?  Because my e250 player i bought from buy.com has that cover labeled as E250R but I have never seen the Rhapsody option for my player. It also refused to work after i updated with sansa e250R firmware, kept saying “load image failed, switch to recovery mode” but it is working fine with the lastest version of e250 V1 and the sansa media converter has been detecting it as only E250. I just found out this in attempt to get my player back to work after upgrading to the firmware e250r failed.”

Don’t feel bad as I just received my e250 from buy.com Friday.  Dam thing looks brand new and also shows Rhapsody and model: e250R on the back plate.  Yesterday I also tried updating the firmware to the e250R and had the same problem you did.  Took me most of the morning to figure out I had Version V1 and get it back in working order.  I just wonder if the reason some of these units HAVE the refurb sticker on the back is only because they have the wrong backplate on it?

As far as I can tell Best Buy is selling the Rhapsody version of the e200 series. The package has a product number that includes “RAP” or “RHAP,” can’t remember. On the front it says Rhapsody enabled. The demo model in the store is nailed down so I cannot get a look at the back of the case.

I know you bought from buy.com, do you still have the packaging to check… just curious.

Dana

No! The refurbs from buy.com just come with the ear phones and the usb cable packed in an anti-static bubble bag and sent in a plain box. 

Is there a way to update your player to e200v2?

Because I like the v2 better and I have v1 on the e270 and with v1 my wheel moves around in places it’s not supposed to, for example: when I’m scrolling down often it starts to up and then down and then up. 

Please reply to this as soon as you see this

You can’t change a v1 to a v2. They are different pieces of hardware. The v2 firmware won’t work in a v1.

Hey guys,

so there is no way when you buy these products to tell which one you are buying? That seems rather unfair, since they do have noticably different specs.

Would anyone know if those Sansa e250’s sold by Amazon.com are v1 or v2? I’d hope it was at least v2, because i do plan on watching videos on it. Aside from the difference in speed, are there any other differences that cannot be taken care of by using different firmware/Rockbox?

Link is here.

Thanks for your help.

The audio  specs are for a v1 because it does not include Audible (.aa) among its supported audio formats.  The additional memory spec says MicroSD,  not the MicroSDHC that is supported by the v2.

But lots of sellers just cut-and-paste specs and don’t check them against the unit. So short of contacting the seller somehow, you’re not going to be able to tell.

J&R, one of the other sellers, is a very reputable New York City store. You could  call them and ask them to look at the units they are selling. Might be worth the extra $12.

So , CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH IS THE BEST VERSION OF SANSA E200 series ?