How I debricked my Sansa Express

MTP mode, MSC mode, and Recovery mode are three completely different ways that your computer can recognize your player.  When the [-] button is held down while connecting the player, it is mounted in Recovery mode.  Otherwise, a setting on your computer determines whether the player is mounted as an MTP or MSC device.

The Sansa Updater is sometimes screwy about requesting that the device be in MSC mode.  Technically, it should work whenever the device is in MTP or Recovery mode (i.e., not MSC mode), despite what it says.

I suspect you need to run the Sansa Updater directly, rather than clicking on its tray icon.  To do this, connect the player in Recovery mode (by holding down the [-] button) and then run the SansaExpressUpdater.exe program file from this firmware package.  This should hopefully avert the MSC error message.  If it doesn’t, try restarting your computer and running it again.

Thanks for your response!  I am running the updater that you provided now - how long is it supposed to take?  It’s been running for about 20 minutes.

It shouldn’t take that long, but if it seems to be making progress, you may want to wait.  If not, disconnecting your device and trying again probably won’t kill it.

Did you extract all the files from the zip archive?

I think that I did something wrong (as I said - I need really simple instructions.)  When I unzipped it I clicked save instead of run and then it didn’t open by itself so I went into the file and clicked on the Updater. 

The right window opened but it wasn’t progressing at all in about 45 minutes.  I’m going to begin at the beginning - re-connect the Sansa and re-download the Updater. 

The thing is - even though I’ve let it charge for almost 3 hours there is nothing visible on it - it still isn’t on.

Finally, my express is more than a pretty keychain.  Thanks guys

sandy

I seem to have all the same problems with my Sansa Express, but none of the solutions seem to work. I am using XP SP3 32 bit system, I have tried using the Sansa updater, It does not work. I went through the steps to mount in recovery mode and install the drivers for the USB drive, but when I try to run the sansa express updater, It opens a window telling me not to disconnect my device and goes no further.

When the device is plugged in to a USB slot, it turns on and says “reading” for about 6 seconds, then goes off for 6 seconds. This cycle repeats itself endlessly. It never shows up in the list of devices in “My Computer”.

Help! I don’t know what else to try short of tossing it in the trash.

Did you use the Micro SD card fix?  I had the same issues for months and nothing thet I did worked but when I put in a 1 GB Sandisk Micro SD card now it works!  You put the card in and then attach to the USB and it ought to be back to normal.

I agree with the Micro SD troubleshooting, it usually works and theres a lot of issues in this forums that microsd card fix issues on sansa Express.:wink:

OMG.  Thank you SOOOOOooooo much.  I’ve been searching these forums and Google trying to find a solution and this is what finally helped me.  Turns out holding the (-) button the whole time is what I missed.

I made an account here just to say THANKS! I have been trying to debrick a stupid Express for 2 years on and off. I just so happened to get a different device with a microSD card recently and gave that a try. WORKED IMMEDIATELY. Now I have a working express to match my clip lol

I finally got my Sansa Express to work by letting Windows update the driver for the device while it was set up as a usb device. Once that was done, the fix worked. It has been working great ever since.

Thomas,

your help and that of others who posted their experience with the fix you posted has really helped me. I can’t afford another device and certainly not an ipod like some suggest, so thanks SO muchfor giving me back my audiobooks and music!!

-beth

Wow, this really did help. I bricked my Express trying to figure out how to access the 2 GB microSD card. Saved everything too.

I am also having the same problem…

and I have followed your posting  upto some extent…

but I am not having the software to install… 

where can i get the software…

plz help me…

please tell, where i can get the firmware software. I had followed your post but, i am not having any software to install. Please send me  a link where the software is available.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sansa+Express+Firmware

@prabushan wrote:

please tell, where i can get the firmware software. I had followed your post but, i am not having any software to install. Please send me  a link where the software is available.

Firstly, firmware & software are essentially the same thing.

Secondly, you can fiind the firmwre by following this link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sansa+Express+Firmware

i have downloaded the sansa firmware.and tried to connect the device to the system normally and also by holding the volume(-) button.

Even though, there is no response from the firmware. and it is showing the message as,

“NO UPDATABLE SANDISK HAS BEN RECOGNISED. PLUG IN YOUR DEVICE WAIT FOR MORE INSTRUCTIONS”

by seeing this message, i had waited for more than 15 minutes. But no use.

Now, what should i do?

I kow its 2013 and nobody has been on here for a while, but I had to share my tale of a bricked sansa express. I bricked it about 4 years ago and it pissed me off so much I forgot about it. Since I got some jvcx700 headphones I wanted to try and fix this mp before I deciced to buy a new one. Much to my surpise it came on as soon as I charged it. THEN I BRICKED IT TRYING TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. I had nothing at all , no display no nothing. After reading this board I figured it out

first I did the hold the vol down - button while I put it in my usb port attached tot he machine. I held it for as long as I had to until something showed up in the device manager. basically once you get the mp3 into the mode where it says STMP3600 you will be good to go.

now for lil details that might help. I had to switch from a win 7 32 bit machine to an xp machine just to get to stmp3000 mode. Also the sansaupdater executable would not see it attached but once I downloaded the zipfiles from the manual install directions as opposed to the executable. there is another option to install it from within the zip file. as soon as I ran that it started installing perfectly and in one minute I was putting files back on and good to go with new firmware

1. make sure you get mp3 to stmp3000 mode and make sure you download the zip file and try that installer if the main executable does not work. you may have to switch machines or go to an xp box as I did. superstar144 at yaho if you need help.
1 Like

Thank you for that. While there’s probably not a lot of Sansa Express users still out there, there may be some that like you, have one tucked away in a drawer somewhere, having given up on it. You may be providing new hope and a solution so they can again use this fine old player.

Bravo! :wink: