Help with Sansa view 16gb

I have had my Sansa view 16g for a lil while now…and I added a 16gb micro sd card, worked great then something happined tot he card and nothing could read it so i went out and got a new one. popped the new one into the  player and the player read it fine saying there was 14.8gb available so i thought all was well. i came home added music to the card plugged the card back in and nothing. saying free -1mb. and wont refresh the database to see the card…now i know im all up to date with the firmware. and i reset it like 12 times, even put it into safe mode and still nothing…what do i do now?

i had this problem before and they sent me a new one and it worked fine, but if this problem is happining again I’m bout to just go out and get a new 32g Zune.

1 Like

I am having similar problems.  In MTP mode my system info says, “-1 mb free” for the card and none of the music from the card is in the library.  If I put it in MSC mode, it shows “SD Card 15185MB” and “Free 10146 MB” however, still none of the songs are playable.

When I hook up the View to my computer via the USB cord, it has similar problems.  If it’s in MTP mode, Windows doesn’t recognize the card exists (when browsing the Sansa View, it only has “Internal Memory” and no “External Memory”).  If it’s in MSC mode, My Computer shows a removable media drive, but if I try browsing it, I get an error saying media is not inserted.

All that made me believe something was wrong with the card.  So I took the card out and (using a MicroSD->USB adapter) plugged it directly into the computer.  TADA!  The computer opened the card just fine and could read all the files just fine.

So the problem isn’t with the card, it’s a problem with the Sansa View, at least in my case (and I suspect yours!)

If Sansa support could step in and give direction on fixing the problem, it’d be much appreciated because as-is, I’m only getting to play half of my music capacity.

I have the 8mb View and the same problem.  The expansion simply behaves as though there is no card in the slot.  this has happened repeatedly where some times the card is recognized.  Other times not and for no reason except a faulty piece of  Sansa product.  It’d be nice to get this fixed, Sansa.

@goodbadskinnee wrote:

When I hook up the View to my computer via the USB cord, it has similar problems.  If it’s in MTP mode, Windows doesn’t recognize the card exists (when browsing the Sansa View, it only has “Internal Memory” and no “External Memory”).   If it’s in MSC mode, My Computer shows a removable media drive, but if I try browsing it, I get an error saying media is not inserted.

This sounds like a hardware-related problem within your particular View where there is a ‘break’ somewhere in the connection to the card slot. I doubt whether this can be ‘fixed’.

Roundeye11 - Yours appears to be a similar problem as it is intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Definitely indicative of a loose (or failing) connection with the card slot.

Both of you can try formatting the player and re-loading your content and/or manually re-applying the firmware. Neither is likely to work, but stranger things have happened and at this point you have nothing to lose.

If unsuccessful, new players are the only other way to go.

Tapeworm, thanks for responding.  I dealt with my View just not accepting an SD card for a while until it died (due to unrelated issues – it just wouldn’t boot up).  It was under warranty so I sent it back and SanDisk sent me a brand new View to replace it.

However, this one does the EXACT same thing.  It doesn’t seem like a hardware issue, but rather a firmware issue.  I have used the updater software to get the most up to date firmware available.  However, it just won’t recognize any microSD cards.  I have two different microSD cards, and it won’t recognize either one.  One is a SanDisk 8GB class 4 SDHC that works just fine in my Sansa Express and the other is a SanDisk 16GB class 2 SDHC.  Both work if I plug them into a computer, but the Sansa View won’t recognize either one.

Ok, I have done some more testing and found out more information.

I’ve found that if I:

1. connect to my computer in “Auto Detect” USB Mode with the microSD card ejected

2. after the computer recognizes the Sansa is connected I push the card into the View

The computer will then recognize the sd card as a drive.  If I then unplug the View from the computer, it will:

1. Refresh the database

2. Finally show the music on the sd card in the drive and recognize the card on the “Info” screen

However, if I turn the View off (either by running out of battery or by holding the power button for several seconds) and turn it back in, it again shows that no sd card is in it and no longer has any of the music on the card available.  If it is plugged into the computer then again it will say that there is a drive that it does not recognize and I have to start all over again at #1.

This is true using the View with either in Windows 7 or in Ubuntu (linux).

Any help, SanDisk???

It would be really nice to actually be able to use my View to its full capacity!  

Sansa?  …nothing?

Bump.  Sansa, are you going to address the problem or just ignore it?  Is the buggy platform why you discontinued the View?

Sansa being Sansa…