Help, added wrong files to recovery mode drive!!!!!

Hello Folks, I think I screwed up majorly.  I was trying to update the firmware for my e260. The updater program wasn’t working so I tried manually.

I entered recovery mode and then added these 5  files  into a 16 something folder with one item:

firmware.mi4

font.fnt

mfgSupport.rom

pribootLoader.rom

SDBootRom.rom

after that I unplugged from comp and tried to restart. Just getting blank screen and cant get comp to see it.

then I found this on anythingbutipod.com

"

• Unless it is noted in the Manual Firmware Download thread that another file must be included for the firmware to work, do not add any other files to the Recovery Mode drive
  • Do not, under any circumstances, place a file ending in ‘.bin’ on the Recovery Mode drive.
  • If in doubt about placing any other files besides the firmware (and possibly bootloader) onto the Recovery Mode drive, PM a Sansa moderator, who should be able to help you.

“Load main image failed, switch to recovery mode” error
This error, the most common reason for using Recovery Mode, happens when the firmware is corrupt. Corrupt firmware can not harm your Sansa. In addition, it is fairly easy to fix:

• Download a copy of the latest firmware, such as from theManual Firmware Download thread.
  • With the Sansa in Recovery Mode, save the mi4 file to the 16MB-FORMAT drive. Rename the mi4 file to PP5022.mi4, if it is not already.
  • Do not copy any other files over. The 16MB-FORMAT is not for storing music and other files. The only files that can be copied over are the bootloader, firmware, and sansa.fmt files"

Like it says about. I did not rename the mi4 file.  Am I screwed?

Can you re-connect in Recovery Mode and do it again (correctly this time)?

Wow buddy thanks for the quick response time. I’ve tried that but it wont enter recovery mode. all I can do is turn it on and off.

I got manufacturer mode to recogonise a usb source but then windows couldnt find a driver. Wish I saw those warnings on the sansa site before messing around with manual firmware update.

All I’m finding is some info about unbricking using ubuntu or something.

screen is just black now, and my computer is getting sick of pluging and unplugging usb and it wont see it.

It might not help, but at this point you have nothing to lose . . . try removing the battery for a minute or two. Remove the 4 small screws (don’t lose them) on the back and the back plate, then lift the battery out.

Now see if it will connect in Recovery Mode (you’ve got the HOLD switch ON, right?)

@tapeworm wrote:

Can you re-connect in Recovery Mode and do it again (correctly this time)?

No he can’t because he just replaced recovery mode with a font file.

Unfortunately, that means you’ll need to get a linux machine (or a livecd) and use e200tool to copy over a new recovery mode into memory and then boot into it and finally copy over a new firmware:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaE200Unbrick

Depending on how good you are with computers it make more sense to just spend $35 and get a Sansa Clip.  

Thanks Saratoga. Yup linex. Learing curve there. It’s too bad that the sandisk website told me to do that copy and paste and then I find other sights with all the warnings afterwards.  I feel misled by sansa in the manual firmware update page. IT NEEDS more warnings. More than zero. I was feeling clever until that happened.  Can I mail it back to sansdick for a replacement or fix?

All this because I was frustrated about the shuffle always starting on the same songs in the same order always.

Why not program in a RESHUFFLE option into these units???

@bamwa wrote:

Can I mail it back to sansdick for a replacement or fix?

No.

@bamwa wrote:

Why not program in a RESHUFFLE option into these units???

This player is like 6 years old. SanDisk isn’t going to do anything more to (or for) it. But all you have to do is start with a different track.

@bamwa wrote:

It’s too bad that the sandisk website told me to do that copy and paste and then I find other sights with all the warnings afterwards.  I feel misled by sansa in the manual firmware update page. 

Its unfortunate that they don’t check for users copying other files over in recovery mode, but the firmware update thread is pretty clear that you must use MSC mode.  

And no they’re not going to replace your player.  They discontinued the e200 many years ago.  Either fix it or upgrade to a more modern player.