Great headphones or earphones under $20

@jk98 wrote:

I found this article-Best Budget Headphones- and though I would see great headphones under $20 mentioned. Instead they list headphones that are MSRP $50-150, some of which are discounted very little. Up to $150 is a budget headphone??? What do they consider a mid priced headphone, $150-$500???  I consider headphones under $20 to be budget, $20-50 mid priced, $50-100 premium priced, and over $100 expensive.

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,3814.0.html

It’s an audiophile site and $150 to a real audiophile isn’t expensive.  They’re after a ‘reference’ sound, no (or very little) compromise and then look to find a product that fits the mold.  The criteria of what you consider cheap and they consider cheap isn’t the same.  I’m guessing you look at price first then what you can tolerate for sound quality.  An audiophile is the reverse.  Nothing wrong with either way of looking at it, it’s just different yardsticks for different folks.

Case in point: for portable audio I can tolerate cheap.  For home audio, no way.  Plopping 1-2k for an amplifier or  5k+ for speakers is worth it to me.  I consider anything under 2k for speakers ‘cheap’ but I know many don’t think that way.  I’m betting there will be some here who think I’m a cheapskate with a 2k power amp and it’s junk.