SanDisk Guru

Great headphones or earphones under $20

[ Edited ]

I am very impressed with the sound quality of the JVC HAS160 headphone(under $15) and the Sony MDR-E828LP earphone(under $10). I have bought many headphones and earphones over the past 20 years, some of which were over $100. No others seem to provide as great value as these. Are they the best I have ever owned? No, however I think these have provided the best value for the price of all the ones I have bought.

The Sony E828LP is 16 ohms, 108 db/mw, so it will give plenty of volume even with the lowest power portables. The HAS160 is 32 ohms 103 db/mw, so it won't play as loud as the E828LP, however it should still play loud enough with a Sandisk player.

Anyone else have any suggestions for headphones or earphones under $20? I am starting a separate thread for the $20-$50 price range.

SanDisk Guru

Re: Great headphones or earphones under $20

@JK98 wrote:

I am very impressed with the sound quality of the JVC HAS160 headphone(under $15)

Those are the same as JVC Flats, correct? I have a pair and I agree, the price/quality ratio is remarkable.

SanDisk Guru

@gwk1967 wrote:

@JK98 wrote:

I am very impressed with the sound quality of the JVC HAS160 headphone(under $15)

Those are the same as JVC Flats, correct? I have a pair and I agree, the price/quality ratio is remarkable.

I'm pretty sure they are the Flats, yeah. And they really do sound very good for the money. I just wish they had velour earpads instead of the pleather, which made my ears all sweaty.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

I have been thinking about ways to modify the earpads on the HAS160 to velour. Unfortunately changing to velour will probably decrease the bass though. I don't know what the difference is between the older HAS150 and newer HAS160 flats. I have the HAS160.

The Sony MDR-E828LP was a pleasant surprise. Years ago I had used the E848, however they didn't fit my ears too well. The E828 was $20 for many years. It is only relatively recently that it is under $10. I was surprised how much bass it has, and how efficient it is 108 db/mw and 16 ohms. I like the right angle plug. Since I liked the E848, at under $10 I thought the E828 was worth the risk. I was pleasantly surprised. The cord is rubberized,anti tangle, which is nice.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

It will be very good if you start a separete thread for that

@nayan007 wrote:

It will be very good if you start a separete thread for that

Why?

Smiley Indifferent

[ Edited ]

If you want to know about great headphones aka IEM's under $20 try out the Monoprice IEM's with the product number 8320.  There only $9 after shipping and no joke they sound as good as my new ClarityOnes that I paid $120 for.  Very good clarity and bass and they work really good with some Sony hybrid tips.  Go to Head-Fi to read about them and all the people who love these things.  I thought it was all hype but for $9 I wanted to see for my self and I'm now a believer.  I'm not a huge audiophile but I know enough about IEM's (my main pairs are UE Triple Fi 10's and Etymotic HF5's) and most people will be impressed by them.  Only thing is since the Head-Fi thread they sellout fast and they wont have any in tell the 9th so act fast because these bad boys go quick they've already sold out twice and have had to restock them.

SanDisk Guru

No wonder why the JVC Flats sounds so great. I found a frequency response curve for the JVC Flats S150. It is so flat!!!! I imagine the S160 is very similar. They truly are flats!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/425759/jvc-flats-no-im-not-crazy

SanDisk Guru

I found this article-Best Budget Headphones- and though I would see great headphones under $20 mentioned. Instead they list headphones that are MSRP $50-150, some of which are discounted very little. Up to $150 is a budget headphone???? What do they consider a mid priced headphone, $150-$500????  I consider headphones under $20 to be budget, $20-50 mid priced, $50-100 premium priced, and over $100 expensive.

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,3814.0.html

SanDisk Senior User

@JK98 wrote:

I found this article-Best Budget Headphones- and though I would see great headphones under $20 mentioned. Instead they list headphones that are MSRP $50-150, some of which are discounted very little. Up to $150 is a budget headphone???? What do they consider a mid priced headphone, $150-$500????  I consider headphones under $20 to be budget, $20-50 mid priced, $50-100 premium priced, and over $100 expensive.

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,3814.0.html

It's an audiophile site and $150 to a real audiophile isn't expensive.  They're after a 'reference' sound, no (or very little) compromise and then look to find a product that fits the mold.  The criteria of what you consider cheap and they consider cheap isn't the same.  I'm guessing you look at price first then what you can tolerate for sound quality.  An audiophile is the reverse.  Nothing wrong with either way of looking at it, it's just different yardsticks for different folks.

Case in point: for portable audio I can tolerate cheap.  For home audio, no way.  Plopping 1-2k for an amplifier or  5k+ for speakers is worth it to me.  I consider anything under 2k for speakers 'cheap' but I know many don't think that way.  I'm betting there will be some here who think I'm a cheapskate with a 2k power amp and it's junk.