SanDisk Guru

Re: Great headphones or earphones $20-$50

@JK98 wrote:

Sounds good. The JVC HAS4x is said to sound great and probably has more bass than the HAS600, although many hate how it looks. Why did they make it look so bad? To appeal to teenagers?

I just looked up that HAS4x, and to me it looks like it is aimed at the kids.....the ones who just want  "moar bass"....the ones that have a couple of 15" subs in their tiny car.  I wouldn't go near them.

I can see what you meant now about the HAS600 and the elevated bass. There have been a few songs where it did seem the mids-to-lower mids were a little recessed in comparison to the bass and the highs....not drastically so, but enough to notice. I'm not going to start tinkering with an EQ setting yet, though.....I'll give them a few more days of use before I do that.

I do think they have opened up a little bit....I don't believe that burn-in/break in makes a big difference, like some of the head-fi.org crowd would have you believe, but I've caught some subtle differences with a few headphones.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

@Marvin_Martian wrote:

@JK98 wrote:

Sounds good. The JVC HAS4x is said to sound great and probably has more bass than the HAS600, although many hate how it looks. Why did they make it look so bad? To appeal to teenagers?

I just looked up that HAS4x, and to me it looks like it is aimed at the kids.....the ones who just want  "moar bass"....the ones that have a couple of 15" subs in their tiny car.  I wouldn't go near them.

I can see what you meant now about the HAS600 and the elevated bass. There have been a few songs where it did seem the mids-to-lower mids were a little recessed in comparison to the bass and the highs....not drastically so, but enough to notice. I'm not going to start tinkering with an EQ setting yet, though.....I'll give them a few more days of use before I do that.

I do think they have opened up a little bit....I don't believe that burn-in/break in makes a big difference, like some of the head-fi.org crowd would have you believe, but I've caught some subtle differences with a few headphones.

I have to alter slightly my impressions of the JVC's now. I was going to tinker with an EQ setting when I suddenly realized there was already one active, for a different set of headphones that lack bass! So actually, knowing that, I find that with my Zips and EQ disabled, the JVC's sound very nice!

2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

It would be nice if there would be an indicator on the what's playing display that shows which equilizer setting is being used.

SanDisk Guru

@JK98 wrote:

It would be nice if there would be an indicator on the what's playing display that shows which equilizer setting is being used.

That would be tricky, given the size of the screen, I think.   I don't think you'll see it in the factory firmware ever, and even in Rockbox it would have to be an awfully small icon that would be difficult to see.

SanDisk Guru

I got the Koss KTXPRO 1 headphones thrown in for free as part of a trade recently, and to me they sound better than the PortaPro or the KSC75. They are basically the KSC75 drivers in a headband, which is great....unfortunately, the headband is meant for smaller heads. I walked past a mirro with them on and realized they were stretching to accomodate my head...lol.

The biggest annoyance though is the huge volume controller in the headphone cord.....even bigger than the one in the KSC75's, if I remember right. So I'll use them mostly around the house, where I can adjust the volume if someone tries talking to me.

SanDisk Guru

My JVC HAS600 has become much less bassy and almost neutral sounding after extensive burn in. The same thing is happening with my JVC HAS650. I bought the HAS600 first. Between the two, the HAS650 has more detail and is much more compact, being just a bit larger than the $10 or so JVC HAS160 which I love. i like both the HAS600 and HAS650, however if you can get the HAS650 for not much more than the HAS600, then go for the 650. For not much more than the HAS650 is the JVC HAM750, which has more bass than either of those, and is even a bit more efficient than the HAS650.

The new version of the Koss KTXpro1 imo is not as good as the old version. The old version was all black, and if my memory is correct, had a larger head band than the new version. I hope Koss comes out with an improved version of the KTXpro1, or else starts selling the KSC75 drivers with the Sportapro headband(perhaps calling it Sportapro II?) I put this combination together myself(the KSC75 driver enclosures snap into place on the Sportapro headband).

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

A new addition to this thread....the Cortex CHP-2500. Here's the discussions from my other main forum, where I learned about them...

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67021

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68125