Fuze+ Video Requirements

It seems as though bitrate and frame rate do not matter at all. Earlier last night, I converted a DVD for my Fuze+, but forgot to resample the audio (from 48k, which is what DVDs use, to 44.1K, the “required” rate), and accidently created a file with too high a sample rate. However, the Fuze+ played it just fine, without problems.

Also, The Fuze+ can NOT play MPEG-4 AVC video streams which use more than one reference frame. If you do have two or more reference frames, you must convert/reconvert the file, so that there is only one reference frame.

Edit: Yes it can. I seem to have been wrong. As many as seven reference frames can be used.

Also,

@primetechv2 wrote:

After reading the specs for video conversion, I decided to give things a test run. I fired up HandBrake and put in the specs, as close as I could… couldn’t get 192kbps audio so I settled for 168, and used 29.97 fps instead of 30 (close?)

The video was output as a .m4v file. Does the file extention matter, or just the way it’s encapsulated? I copied it to my Fuze+ and it… didn’t work.

When I attempted to copy it the first time around, Windows 7 (compliments of K-Lite) detected the “wrong” type of file, and offered to convert it to the proper type instead. I said yes the second time around, and it made a file that was playable… somewhat. It took about 10 more minutes to convert the file into a proper MP4, with an inferior size of 176x96, 271kbps total, and a framerate of 29FPS.

But what irks me is that while the video works if you press Play, that’s it. You can’t fast-forward, pause, resume… anything, without screwing up the video.

So I’m off to try SMC right now, see what I did wrong. Should I be using something besides Handbrake maybe?

Based on the information that you’ve provided, I’m going to take a guess and say that your video “should” work. Since it didn’t, I have to wonder what caused your problem.

Did you try renaming the file as an *.mp4 file? If not, I’m guessing your Fuze+ will not recognize the file as a video file.

If your problem was that your computer was telling you that the file will not work, maybe you  should just ignour the error, and copy the video, anyway.

If that doesn’t solve your problem, maybe you should download the Media Info Gui (just click your os, and download the GUI, NOT the CLi or Dll unless you know what you are doing), and set the output format as HTML. Then, open your video file, and make sure it says the following: A.) a profile of “Baseline@Level 2”, and B.) no more than one seven reference frames.

What are the Fuze+ video requirements for placement of video files in the directory structures?  Must all videos be placed in some specific folder like a “Videos” folder on both internal and card storage?

My particular question is this:

If a video file is in the root folder of a micro SD card, will it be playable by the Fuze?  

I have not found the answer to this question in the user guide (it only talks of loading video via SMC), nor on this forum, and the question has gone unanswered in another thread:

Thanks.

First, most replies might have to be explained in “Books for dummies”. I converted some of my avi (xvid) to my fuse using the SMC. It seem to do fine. So i wanted to convert more and the same one from before and put them on the microSD. But could not get it to do anything(the convert would not highlight) I want to have differant SDs with music,video,pictures. I wanted to be able to use them in other devices that would play MPEG4, JPEG, MP3. I have notice that most devices will play these formats(at least that what they say). Most of my formats are AVI,3gp,WMV, and maybe apple music. I have not tried Handbrake yet cause it wont work on my HP netbook(not enough resolution). Looking for free converter cause on very tight budget. thankyou for any help.

@jj2me wrote:

If a video file is in the root folder of a micro SD card, will it be playable by the Fuze?  

Why don’t you try it and see for yourself? Then you and post the answer for everyone. It would most likely be quicker than waiting for a response from someone else. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@jj2me wrote:

Why don’t you try it and see for yourself? Then you and post the answer for everyone. It would most likely be quicker than waiting for a response from someone else. :wink:

Yes, that’s a good idea.  But something seems wrong that I’d have to buy a Fuze+  to find out whether I want to buy a Fuze+. 

Sheesh.

@jj2me wrote:

Yes, that’s a good idea.  But something seems wrong that I’d have to buy a Fuze+  to find out whether I want to buy a Fuze+. 

Sheesh.

Ooops, sorry . . . I thought you already had one.

Smiley

I have used SMC to successfully convert a video from Youtube - from what I’ve read, that shouldn’t have happened. But I have also tried using Any Media Converter, and then SMC, as per instructions seen online, with no results. I’m about to try Any again, and hope for the best.

@bjjjkd wrote:

Looking for free converter cause on very tight budget. thankyou for any help.

Here’s a few for you:

XviD4PSP

MEGui

Freemake Video Converter

SUPER (very simple to use)

XMedia-Recode (my personal favorate, lots of options to play with)

MediaCoder

Any Video Converter (very popular among Sandisk users)

Format Factory

Please note that I have never used some of these converters, before, so I don’t know if they will work, but I’m sure that finding one that works for you shouldn’t be a huge problem. Or, if you look around, there are certainly others you could try.

anyone know if Fuze+ supports cinepak? Also how do I make the .thm file for a video?

Hi, I got my fuze+ coming in the mail.  I got it for a nice price of 48 bucks for the 8 gig version directly from Amazon.   What I would like to know is what is the real battery life when playing a movie?  Is it possible to watch a full length two hour movie on it?  Sandisk claims five hours of course but is two and a half hours a more realistic guess?  I have a clip+ and love it.  I have always got about five or six hours of life out of it no matter the bit rate of the mp3s or how much I play with it. 

I really didn’t need to upgrade but the video features and the price sold me.  I already have a PSP that I can watch movies on as well but this just sounds more portable to me.  I have many older mp3 players that I don’t use because they have strange bugs that make them stop working.  The clip+ is the best I ever had without weird bugs so I thought I would give sandisk a try on this new one.  I had another MP3 with a  touch pad about eight years ago.  I don’t know if believe  people on how bad the touch pad is.  I’m guessing it couldn’t be any worse than the one I had then and that wasn’t too bad.

That’s a good deal for the Fuze+.  I love it for video, the display is larger than the earlier Fuze / e200, and the image quality is great.  Battery life on the new machine is better too; you can watch a few movies before it needs recharging.  I have watched a film, powered down, watched a second while the girls were waiching cartoons, and realized that I should plug the little guy in for a charge later in the day.

The Fuze+ does have a decent battery capacity, unlike the wee Clip+, which has the limitation its diminuitive size, and a physically much smaller battery.  I typically expect 8 hours at the most on the little one.

Be sure to update the Fuze+ to the latest firmware, as it greatly improves working with the machine, and fixes the lock function, directing it to the top power button.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

how do I make the .thm file?

@alienkid10 wrote:

anyone know if Fuze+ supports cinepak?

jfadfe

Also how do I make the .thm file for a video?

@alienkid10 wrote:

anyone know if Fuze+ supports cinepak?

I seriously doubt it. Cinepak is not a commonly used format, and the Fuze+ is small and cheap. Combine these facts with the fact that there are only so many formats that can be programmed into the Fuze+, and I think the answer will be obvious.

@alienkd10 wrote:

Also how do I make the .thm file for a video?

Look for programs that can extract jpegs from a video (such as Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Edition). That’s basically what a thm file is, a jpeg file with a different extension.

Also,

@slimmyshady wrote:

I had the same problem as “primetechv2”. I convert a movie onto the Fuze+ using SMC. I then play the movie on the player. It plays for about 12 minutes, then randomly cuts out. It did convert the whole movie, because in the videos menu on the player it says the movie is about 2 hours long. When I go to pause the movie, it pauses, but when I try to resume the screen goes black and the player freezes and doesn’t resume. When I try to skip, fast forward or resume play from the menu, the player freezes, screen goes black and I cannot resume play of the movie. This is very frustrating, as I am doing everything right, using SMC and converting everything fine. Any suggestions?

I have found that the Fuze+ desperately struggles with AVI files. This is especially true with longer movies. I suspect that it has something to do with how overly complicated an AVI file actually is. Those of you who have read the first tutorial on how to convert files for the original Fuze without SMC should know what I am talking about. Things like interweaving, OpenDML, RIFF, ect.

That said, what codecs does your *.avi file use? Unless it uses either WMV video, or WMA audio, you should be able to download something like My MP4Box Gui to instantly copy the audio and video streams into MP4 format (without loss of quality). The Fuze+ seems to love those little mp4’s.

What res does the .thm need to be in?

Well, the sample videos use 168x126, but pretty much any resolution should do. However, I should tell you that the Fuze+ will probably ignore this file, if it is named incorrectly. Let’s say that you have a video called “Attack of the Boogers.avi”. You will need to name the *.thm file as “Attack of the Boogers_large.thm”. Without the “_large” part, the Fuze+ just doesn’t realize that it is actually supposed to be a thumbnail for that video, and just ignores it.

Hello I just want to know if we can any video be converted this way?Thanks.

as long as it is not drm protected.