Flickering Screen II

The problem was not resolved–i pressed the link and got unintended consequences.  Here is the original question:

I have a 4gb e200.  Today, when the charge started getting low, the screen started to flicker.  No all i have is is a series of horizontal lines running accross the screen.  The player is playing, but i can’t read the screen.   If anyone has any advice, that would be great–just keep in mind that you are talking to a techie novice (who knows very little but is willing to learn).

Thanks a lot.

(As of now the screen is fine when plugged into the computer, but it gets scrambled after i unplug it).

If I understand correctly, the display looks fine while connected to the PC?  Try an experiment.  Plug the USB cable (at the PC end) in slowly, just about half way.  Or, use an AC USB power adaptor.  By inserting the USB cable half way, the power pins will mate, but the data connection will be open, allowing you to try the various functions of the Sansa, just as it would be when running on bettery power.

If it’s fine in this mode, perhaps your troubles can be solved with a new battery module.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 06-03-2009 06:17 PM

Thanks, Neutron, for your reply, but it didn’t work (i will give it a go with my other Sansas, however).  The thing seems fickle.  Now, even when plugged in, the screens horizontal display is messed up.  What would happen if i did something with the firmware?  Again, i am open to advice. 

Thanks. 

BOT

I don’t know if my screen problem is a firmware problem, but i was reading that one should not add the firmware if one has an older version of the e200.  Is there anything that can be done.  BTW, for a short time yesterday (perhaps 10 minutes) the screen was actually fine.  Now the screen as i type this is mostly black–however, the audio has worked fine.  Again any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It sounds like your screen may be dying or the connection to it is loose, especially if everything else works properly. That wouldn’t be a software fix. 

It’s not that you should not add the latest firmware for your unit. You just have to know what kind of unit you have. And it’s difficult if you can’t see your screen, though if you can access your unit you could look for version.txt. 

There are two versions of E200 hardware, v1 and v2, which look exactly the same on the outside except that if you’re lucky, the v2 will be labeled on the back as E2xxv2.  Not everything was labeled correctly. 

If you look in Settings/Info/Firmware you will see either 1.x (for the v1) or 3.x (for the v2). Update with a firmware that starts with the same 1 or 3. 

I have a similar flickering screen issue with my sansa e260, in which lines appear across the screen and they slowly move down. It is still possible to read the screen, but its difficult. I don’t think its a software related issue because when I plug it into my computer via the USB it does the same thing. Furthermore, I can dual boot into either rockbox or the standard OS and they both flicker. I think the LCD is either dying or there is a loose connection; I just pray it doesn’t get any worse. I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden. Does anyone have any advice on something I could do to repair it. Or does anyone know if SanDisk offers a cheap repair service, I’m pretty sure the warranty on it has already run up? Thanks for any advice.
Message Edited by blacknight595 on 06-09-2009 12:41 PM

@blacknight595 wrote:
Furthermore, I can dual boot into either rockbox or the standard OS and they both flicker. I think the LCD is either dying or there is a loose connection; I just pray it doesn’t get any worse. I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden. Does anyone have any advice on something I could do to repair it. Or does anyone know if SanDisk offers a cheap repair service, I’m pretty sure the warranty on it has already run up? Thanks for any advice.

I think you’re right.

Chance are it will (get worse, that is). It certainly won’t get any better.

SanDisk, nor anyone else offers a repair service. It would cost more just to diagnose the problem, let alone fix it than the price of another complete unit.

Best to shop around for one on E0Bay or one of the re-furb dealers. Save this one for spare parts (battery, screws, memory chip, front screen plate buttons, etc.). :wink:

@blacknight595 wrote:
Furthermore, I can dual boot into either rockbox or the standard OS and they both flicker. I think the LCD is either dying or there is a loose connection; I just pray it doesn’t get any worse. I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden. Does anyone have any advice on something I could do to repair it. Or does anyone know if SanDisk offers a cheap repair service, I’m pretty sure the warranty on it has already run up? Thanks for any advice.

I think you’re right.

SanDisk, nor anyone else offers a repair service. It would cost more just to diagnose the problem, let alone fix it than the price of another complete unit.

Best to shop around for one on E-Bay or one of the re-furb dealers. Save this one for spare parts (battery, screws, memory chip, front screen plate buttons, etc.). :wink:

@blacknight595 wrote:

I think you’re right.

Best to shop around for one on E-Bay or one of the re-furb dealers. Save this one for spare parts (battery, screws, memory chip, front screen plate, buttons, etc.). :wink:

Check it the wires are liise. if loose, fix. Preferably NOT duct tape.

How do I check if the wires are loose/how do I reconnect them? I assume it involves opening the device up. But once I open it up how do I know which wires im looking for?

@blacknight595 wrote:
How do I check if the wires are loose/how do I reconnect them? I assume it involves opening the device up. But once I open it up how do I know which wires im looking for?

Yes, it does involve opening the unit up starting with the 4 screws on the back (that’s what they’re there for). Then there are 4 more screws inside. After removing these, you’ll have essentially 3 pieces; the back plate, the front cover (black) and the middle frame-work holding the PCB (printed circuit board) with the LCD screen.

Once you see the minut size and complexity of the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the circuit board, I think you’ll agree the advice I gave you previously is the best alternative.