Firmware on White Box Connect With No Wifi

The Connect with wi-fi off has crappy battery life.  I often run mine with wi-fi off.

I’m especially dismayed by how much the battery is drained when turned off (to Standby, not the fully powered down state when you hold the power button down for eight seconds or to which it automatically goes after 72 hours in Standby).  Though I’ve never measured it, a guess would be that it loses half its charge when in Standby for a couple of days.

Zing did tremendous firmware.  But they needed a couple of additional release cycles to tweak the Connect’s power management.

Hmm.  Since it works while recharging, maybe the Connect would even be useful as a tuner for a stationary stereo system.  Anyway, thanks for the info. 

@epp wrote:

Hmm.  Since it works while recharging, maybe the Connect would even be useful as a tuner for a stationary stereo system.  

Yep.  During the summer I often connect mine to a boombox thru an aux jack.

OK, I just downgraded the firmware on my whitebox and I can connect to my wireless fine. The yahoo stations just sit on Connecting… (all of them it seems) and sometimes it errors out. I checked the stations via my browser and they are up, so does anyone know if they have officially discontinued the streaming for the Connect?

And what’s this article about video all about? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/11/sansa-connect-gets-video.php

Did they decide that the feature wasn’t working well? I see an icon for “Friends” in the video, but I don’t have that… 

Message Edited by fuslice on 05-25-2009 01:41 PM

@fuslice wrote:

OK, I just downgraded the firmware on my whitebox and I can connect to my wireless fine. The yahoo stations just sit on Connecting… (all of them it seems) and sometimes it errors out. I checked the stations via my browser and they are up, so does anyone know if they have officially discontinued the streaming for the Connect?

And what’s this article about video all about? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/11/sansa-connect-gets-video.php

Did they decide that the feature wasn’t working well? I see an icon for “Friends” in the video, but I don’t have that… 

I gotta ask… Are you connected to a wireless network? 

Yes sir, I am connected to my home wifi network. It pulls/refreshes the list of radio stations fine. If I wasn’t connected, I wouldn’t be able to see those, right? (just checking)

@fuslice wrote:
Yes sir, I am connected to my home wifi network. It pulls/refreshes the list of radio stations fine. If I wasn’t connected, I wouldn’t be able to see those, right? (just checking)

No you would still see those. They are preset and dont change so its part of the firmware. I dont know what to tell you other than to run the recovery tool again and try to reload the firmware. 

Turns out it is actually something with my wifi. I just tried it after connecting to my neighbor’s and it works fine. Maybe because my network is secure and his isn’t? Thanks for the confirmation though. How about that URL I posted for the video. Do you know anything about that?

@fuslice wrote:
Turns out it is actually something with my wifi. I just tried it after connecting to my neighbor’s and it works fine. Maybe because my network is secure and his isn’t? Thanks for the confirmation though. How about that URL I posted for the video. Do you know anything about that?

In the settings menu find something about WFI and add your network to the player, you can put in the password, and the player will connect to it no problem. 

Thanks. Do you know anything about this? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/11/sansa-connect-gets-video.php

@fuslice wrote:
Thanks. Do you know anything about this? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/11/sansa-connect-gets-video.php

Yeah… It works just like the other sansa players that have video. You need a program called Sansa Media Converter, which you can download from this site. There are certain digital video formats that it works with you load those videos plug your player into the computer and SMC does the rest. 

@conversionbox wrote:

@fuslice wrote:

Yeah… It works just like the other sansa players that have video. You need a program called Sansa Media Converter, which you can download from this site. There are certain digital video formats that it works with you load those videos plug your player into the computer and SMC does the rest. 

Yes, in SMC

• “Add Media”.  Then with the Connected plugged in to USB,

• “Convert” which converts and loads to the Connect.

I load various video podcasts this way, and almost all are compatible (it’ll even play m4a audio files with no video).  The ones that weren’t compatible or able to be converted, showed up as green in SMC, and when I clicked on the Play arrow in SMC, no video.  Those I just pre-converted using the freeware app Super.

@fuslice wrote:

I see an icon for “Friends” in the video, but I don’t have that… 

That feature was removed along with Launchcast Plus and My Custom Station.

so my sansa connect doesn’t show the wifi options…i have no clue why…will the wifi options be enabled once i update the firmware…?

@terekete wrote:
so my sansa connect doesn’t show the wifi options…i have no clue why…will the wifi options be enabled once i update the firmware…?

Yes … did you read the earlier posts in this thread?

Hello, i just bought the 4gb connect and my daughter did something to it. I turned my back for a sec and bam, recovery needed. the tool says i need to connect to the internet when clearly i’m connected to it. i’ve tried to access the cmdline in within the program and it shuts off almost  immediately. Any help/info would be great.

Thank you,

James

@burton77 wrote:

Hello, i just bought the 4gb connect and my daughter did something to it. I turned my back for a sec and bam, recovery needed. the tool says i need to connect to the internet when clearly i’m connected to it. i’ve tried to access the cmdline in within the program and it shuts off almost  immediately. Any help/info would be great.

Thank you,

James

When you say you tried to access the cmdline, do you mean you followed the steps discussed at the end of this thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=connect&thread.id=685

yup. i tried that and its like it is running something else. a small message flashes and the cmd goes away. i’m the admin on this comp., i really like sansa. i’ve been using them for years but this is the first time this has happened. i’ve been up half the night trying to figure this out but have had no luck.

Message Edited by Burton77 on 08-10-2009 08:20 AM

Let me see if this low-tech consumer has it straight.  If I continue to use the Sansa Connect that I purchased in the white box (without a CD), and using OS 1.2.0.58335, I can use microSDHC cards.  Correct?  But the player is without the wireless capability that was built into the player.  Correct?

However, if I manage to locate and use the firmware updater [sic], it will roll back the firmware to an earlier version which will enable the player to receive internet radio, but it will not then allow me to use the microSDHC cards.  Correct?

Boy, oh, boy – am I ever confused!

HELLLLLLLLP!!!

(TIA, a very confused rainbow)

Iris

@irainbow wrote:

Let me see if this low-tech consumer has it straight.  If I continue to use the Sansa Connect that I purchased in the white box (without a CD), and using OS 1.2.0.58335, I can use microSDHC cards.  Correct?  But the player is without the wireless capability that was built into the player.  Correct?

However, if I manage to locate and use the firmware updater [sic], it will roll back the firmware to an earlier version which will enable the player to receive internet radio, but it will not then allow me to use the microSDHC cards.  Correct?

Boy, oh, boy – am I ever confused!

HELLLLLLLLP!!!

(TIA, a very confused rainbow)

Iris

Either firmware version will let you use microSDHC cards.  Rolling back the firmware will add the WiFi functions.

Follow this procedure to roll back the firmware:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=connect&thread.id=2515