FM Radio Station Won't Change

So, then, perhaps don’t do step no. 5 . . . .

That just seems to make it happen quicker. It still happens with or without step 5.

I downgraded my OS and it still happens. I’m getting more familiar with how and when it happens. 

The quickest way I can make it happen is to go through some preset stations, listen to one station for a while (10 minutes), then press the middle button twice. Seems like without listening for a little while it is hard to make happen. Once I listen for a bit, then it happens quite easy.

I’m going to check back here in a week. If there are no other suggested solutions, I’ll contact SanDisk about a replacement/refund. I suspect a refund will be required since it seems like a software issue and a new device won’t fix the problem. 

It would be nice if someone would confirm this for me. I would like to know if it is just a defective unit I purchased. If not, I’ll assume they are all defective and go back to Amazon and give the device a poor review. 

@bessermt wrote:

I’m going to check back here in a week. If there are no other suggested solutions, I’ll contact SanDisk about a replacement/refund. I suspect a refund will be required since it seems like a software issue and a new device won’t fix the problem. 

SanDisk does not issue refunds; they only replace warrantied products. You would have to return it to your dealer (in this case, Amazon) for a refund. But even they have a time limit of when you can take advantage of this, so don’t wait too long.

I doubt that this is a software issue, as the earlier poster suspected–I don’t have this issue at all.

Sounds like a control issue with the onboard FM receiver chip. If reapplying the firmware doesn’t fix the issue, it’s likely a simple hardware issue. Troubles with the FM receiver are rare as hen’s teeth, rest assured.

If you just purchased the device via Amazon, their return process is great. With any retailer, within the first 30 days, returns to the seller are simplest. Beyond this, SanDisk has you covered. I’d exchange the little guy for a new device.

Reference the steps you have taken here, and they’ll fix you up.

Bob

Sounds like they will replace it with a working unit?

I would still like to have someone (ANYONE) confirm the problem. This would help me know if it is a software or hardware problem. 

I’ve been refining one what makes this happen with the least amount of work (although it is pretty obvious). Here’s what I have so far. 

• Set your presets to stations to music stations with good reception and shows the currently playing song in the display.

• Find a song you like and listen until the screen goes black screen saver.

• Finish listening to the entire song.

• Listen to the next song part way through.

• Start switching stations with center button using your presets.

• Keep switching stations until you notice the stations are no longer changing even though the display shows them changing. 

• Often the station it is picking up has only static, sometimes it is an actual station. 

Please, can anyone reproduce this problem?

Thanks

I’m wondering if there is any connection with the display showing the currently playing song and the station changing the song causing the problem. Seems like there’s a connection from my viewpoint, but I don’t know why that would matter to the device.

I updated the firmware once, reloading the current version. I’ve downgraded to V01.01.20A.

Decided to return and excange. Same problem still with new unit. Very frustrating. 

I’m in a location with poor reception on the radio, if that matters. Still same result. Change station with presets works fine. Listen to a song for a while then start changing stations. Do this enough and the display show the station changing, but the radio station isn’t actually changing. A reboot does fix it until the next time. I can normally get it to happen within 15 minutes of listening. 

Still looking for a solution. 

Still have problem with a replacement unit. I notice that when it happens you can’t press and hold the forward to the next radio station and have it look for the next station. It just steps one frequence step at a time until you release the forward button. 

It would be really nice if someone would reproduce this problem. I’m confident that it must be a software problem, otherwise why would a new unit still fail. 

It is easy to reproduce, but you need to spend 30 minutes to do this. 

Reset the device.

Set up some presets.

Listen to the radio.

When a song comes on you don’t like, skip to next preset until you find a song you like.

Listen for a while, then when a song comes on you don’t like, switch stations.

Do this for a while and you will notice the station won’t skip to the next preset. The display DOES change, but what you listen to isn’t changing. 

How do I fix this? ANYONE at Sansa listening?! I’m really frustrated with this. 

Anyone? Anyone? Why no reply?

@bessermt wrote:
Anyone? Anyone? Why no reply?

Probably because no one has an answer for you. Either they don’t have the problem, or or not motivated to try and reproduce it by constantly changing stations until it (may or may not) happens. Most people find the station they want to listen to and then leave it; they don’t cycle through all the stations repeatedly until it overloads and freezes up.

Seems like the issue doesn’t happen if listening while charging. Not sure if that helps.

This is easy to reproduce in less than 15 minutes. 

Listen to radio. Find a station you like. Listen for a few minutes. Start changing presets finding another station you want to listen to for a few minutes. While cycling looking for the station you will notice the station is no longer changing. 

ANYONE!

So you are saying no one listens to the radio and changes stations when a song comes on they don’t like. 

REALLY!  

Sansa should look into this and FIX IT!  

It’s a software problem. FIX IT!

Stop making excuses for a product not working by blaming the user for using it as intended.  

Dude, with all due respect, chill . . . .

You’ve made your point.  I’m not sure what else you want to do, at this point.  Yes, I can understand and see your frustration.  But it is what it is.

Personally, I just keep one FM station on or occasionally switch to another, but not going back and forth.

And although you’re not going to like hearing this, unlikely that SanDisk will be doing anything with the player’s firmware at this point–no revisions have occurred for ages, and the product is, at this point, “mature.”  Nothing else to do but, adjust and enjoy.   :wink:

Well, legally they have to fix it. UCC is clear on this point. Failure of a product must either be fixed or refund covering cost and damages (or both). 

But before contacting a lawyer, let’s give you the assumption they won’t change the software anymore. They could release the source code so users could fix it themselves. 

Personally, I think they should fix it. It’s broken so they should fix it. 

All I want for starters is someone to reproduce it. I’m using it right now and the behavior seems location dependent. Poor reception areas seem to make it happen faster. 

Next time don’t post a suggestion that a product that doesn’t work is fine, because,… IT IS NOT FINE!

Sigh.  As you’ve been told before, apparently no one here in the forum (other users, just like you–people here generally are not paid SanDisk employees) has expressed an interest to expend the time and energy to try to reproduce the issue you’re having, which you suggest could be unique to your specific circumstances; or others simply are not having your issue.  I’m sorry that you’re having your issue, but your continuing posts here really are mis-spent time by you, at this point.  And no one here has posted anything of the type you most recently have been ascribing.

If you would like to discuss matters with SanDisk itself (which does not actively monitor forum postings), here is its contact info.  Perhaps it can figure something out for you.  Otherwise, depending on how long you’ve waited, your seller might agree to take the item back and issue a refund.

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

By the way, I did spend my own time and did try this again, and did not have your issue.  I suspect that it relates to the weaker signals in your area (they are strong in mine) and a resulting taxing they may be causing your player’s microprocessor (assuming that you have not received 2 defective players in a row).

OK, just tried with mine, FW 20A.  Seven presets, followed as you outlined - listen, let screen go dark, press rapidly.  No problems like you’ve described (or at all).  Maybe the signal strength (I’m in a pretty urban area with good signal strength), maybe something else.  BUT…not every device has this problem…