External Playlist problem

[ Edited ]

I've owned the original Clip and then the Clip+ and now the Clip Zip  Never had this problem before in creating playlists.

Using Windows Media Player, I can see the playlists that I've created on both the internal & external memory in WMP.  Only the playlists in the Clip's internal memory show up on the Clip itself, the external memory card playlist will not show on the Clip.   

I have formatted, reformatted, reset, & replaced the external card several times with different cards.  Why is the clip handling the playlist differently internally and and externally?  What can I do to get the external playlist to also show on the Clip? 

I searched the forum and the internet but could not find this specific problem being resolved; if I missed it I apologize.

bedobe

SanDisk User

Re: External Playlist problem

The closest anything has come using the Sandisk firmware is video4fuze. video4fuze makes .pla playlists from files added in MSC. It works on the Fuze and Clip+. I don't know if it works with the Clip Zip. The combined lists it makes usually don't last through the database refresh so I didn't see any reason to try it.

It's possible because Rockboxed Sansas use combined .m3u playlists.

Maybe I was not as clear as I could have in describing what I'm experiencing:  

After syncing using WMP and while looking at WMP, it appears both external and internal memory of the Clip Zip have playlists.  However when I disconnect the Clip Zip and look at the player itself, only the playlist for the internal memory is displayed.   

Note:  I never had this problem with the Clip+.   I am doing exactly same procedure as I have always done.  The Clip+ player never differentiated between internal or external playlist.  If a playlist was created in the internal memory portion of the Clip+ it would display.  If a playlist was created in the external memory portion of the Clip+ that too would be displayed.  Not the case with Clip Zip.

The

GAP

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

bedobe, I'm not sure why you're having this problem, but I can state that I have been able to successfully create a usable playlist on an SDHC card using MediaMonkey.

You may want to use Windows Explorer to see if the playlist is actually on the Clip Zip, even if the firmware may not be seeing it or interpreting it correctly.  If it is there, you could open it up in an editor and verify that the song filepaths in it are correct.

No Playlist option appears in the External Card menu on my Clip Zip with an 8GB microSD card. Press Card from the main menu >under the heading "SD Card" is listed Artists, Albums, Songs, books. This after I created a Playlist in Windows Media 11 for the External card. Windows Media appears to create a Playlist for the external card. I noticed that on page 26 of the Clip Zip users manual,  Playlist is not one of the options shown, just: Artists, Albums, Songs, Books.

Playlist created for the internal memory works fine

SanDisk Guru

@bmad wrote:

No Playlist option appears in the External Card menu on my Clip Zip with an 8GB microSD card. Press Card from the main menu >under the heading "SD Card" is listed Artists, Albums, Songs, books. This after I created a Playlist in Windows Media 11 for the External card. Windows Media appears to create a Playlist for the external card. I noticed that on page 26 of the Clip Zip users manual,  Playlist is not one of the options shown, just: Artists, Albums, Songs, Books.

Playlist created for the internal memory works fine

You have to access the Playlists via the Music menu, not the Card menu.

I tried accessing from the Music menu. Same problem -  Playlist  created for the External card in WMP does not appear. Also tried selecting Music>Folders>External Card

I did not have this problem with my old Clip+ (which now I wish I had back).  

I could create numerous playlist and regardless of where they were copied too (internal or external) they showed up on the Clip+ in a playlist (one long playlist).   

With this Clip Zip you can only use playlist if the list is short enough to fit within the internal memory.

Thanks 

From what I have tried, it appears to me that the External card cannot use a Playlist. At least not a Playlist created in Windows Media Player 11 for the External Card.

The Playlist is created, I can see the file, but it does not show up as an option, no matter what way I try to access it: from the Card Menu, from the Music Menu, nor from Music>Folders>External Card. The music files from the Playlist I created in WMP are in that folder, I can play them - but no Playlist.

bmad, 

You got it.  

It is there in clear as day in WMP as a playlist but not the Clip Zip.

As said earlier did it on the Clip +, and also did it on a Sansa Fuze I have. 

I don't know why they would have changed this.  

Thanks