External Card usb [ empty ]

Of most recent, whenever I copied to the external USB it would update media than you go to music/folders/ and it would show [empty] despite there being over 1/2 full mp3s. I tried deleting and re-adding folders to the microSD and same problem. Then I put it into another PC and copied some more folders and it worked. Displayed again, back to the old PC - [empty]. So I assumed there might be a problem with the old PC not writing via usb properly or something. Today I tried it in the new PC and it wouldn’t work either, it did the same thing. The files on the card read absolutely ok when you connect it to the usb or an external adapter card but the clip zip does not recognise any media on there.

Since then I’ve re-formatted the card (FAT32), re-copied 1/4 of the media back, checked and still [empty] card. I dug out the old Sansa clip+ and put it into that one and it loads the files instantly. To my understanding, I might have a faulty player?

Latest Firmware installed V01.01.17P

MicroSDHC: SanDisk 16gb card

Is your player in MSC mode?

Yeah both players are on MSC mode. That’s the mode I prefer, MTP gives weird folder names.

Update your firmware to the lastest – 01.01.18.  It has a fix on the card issue.  See if that will clear things up.

The card i’m using is from SanDisk. Anyways I tried updating the firmware and same problem, microSD showing [empty]

Odd, because it worked for the first 3weeks and have never hit/wet or dropped it.

At this point, and especially since it seems to work OK in your Clip+ I would call SanDisk Tech Support. If they can’t figure it out and/or deem it defective they can arrange for a warranty replacement for you.

I think you should not format it in FAT32.

FAT 32 filesystem is only handled by windows,rather you have to format it on  only FAT.That is the thing destroyed your File system

@mdas wrote:

FAT 32 filesystem is only handled by windows,rather you have to format it on  only FAT.That is the thing destroyed your File system

No, FAT32 is correct. I believe only 2GB or less memory spaces get formatted to FAT.

@tapeworm wrote:

@mdas wrote:

No, FAT32 is correct. I believe only 2GB or less memory spaces get formatted to FAT.

Yes, any card over 2gb should be formatted as FAT32.  A 2gb or less card is formatted as FAT.

@mdas :   where did you get that info?

Would a 32GB microSD card or a 64GD microSD card would be probable to use for as additional content storage, besides a 16GB microSD card?

@marvin937zip wrote:

Would a 32GB microSD card or a 64GD microSD card would be probable to use for as additional content storage, besides a 16GB microSD card?

Off-topic, but yes. Read this thread regarding the new 64GB SDXC cards and their compatibility.