E260R won't start

I have a E260R. About a month ago it started to act erratic when I turned it on by switching back and forth between music, voice, settings etc.  I finally managed to get it to turn off and now it won’t turn on with the on button; but, when I plug it into my computer it gets recognized and starts charging as it normally would.  I can also access the folders from my computer.  Can anyone give me some advice.  Thank you.  Mike

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.01-S301.0.1.8-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.01-S301.0.1.8-D
ODM Ver.: S301-01.01-S301.0.1.8-D
OEM Ver.: S301.0.1.8-D
Build Type: D
Build Date: 2006.09.11
Build Number: (Build 169.26)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

@crokodile wrote:

I have a E260R. About a month ago it started to act erratic when I turned it on by switching back and forth between music, voice, settings etc.  I finally managed to get it to turn off and now it won’t turn on with the on button; but, when I plug it into my computer it gets recognized and starts charging as it normally would.  I can also access the folders from my computer.  Can anyone give me some advice.  Thank you.  Mike

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-01.01-S301.0.1.8-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-01.01-S301.0.1.8-D
ODM Ver.: S301-01.01-S301.0.1.8-D
OEM Ver.: S3 01.0.1.8-D
Build Type: D
Build Date: 2006.09.11
Build Number: (Build 169.26)                          

I see that you have the original firmware release (build) on your device.  You can try updating the firmware manually as described in this Rhapsody Firmware link.    

The final release is version 1.0.2.165 for the Rhapsody Sansa.

If you run into any glitches after update, or if it does not go smoothly, no worries.   Let me know and I’ll walk you through Recovery Mode.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Good morning Bob,

Well, My entry to the forum was almost correct.  I neglected to mention that the menu page only apears for a moment

then reverts back to the charging screen, so I can’t access the “Settings or USB Mode”  I can only access the player by opening it in my computer .  When it is in the charging mode, I can shut the unit down by holding the menu button down, but that is all.   Is there a back door

Yes, there most certainly is.  You can recover both the R series and basic e200 using recovery mode.   I’ll place some details here in a few minutes, just need to retrieve the previous narrative for you, whilst I enjoy the 88 degree afternoon!  I’ll have it up in a few minutes.  I’ve  posted a few step by step ones…have it up in a little bit!

Download and unzip the firmware mi4 and BL_SD rom files here, let’s run with the Rhapsody Firmware.  Inside this zipped archive, you’ll find two files.  UNZIP them, and place them on your desktop.

Then, with the Sansa v1 connected in Recovery Mode, you’ll need to open a Windows Explorer window.   Double click on My Computer.  See the new icon, 16MB FORMAT?  Double click on this to open the reserved partition of your Sansa, the home of your firmware files.

No matter what you do, DO NOT use the Windows Format command on this reserved partition!  I mention this here, because the option pops up in the next step.

Drag and drop the two firmware files into the partition (open window).  Right click after transfer, and select Eject.

Slide the HOLD switch back to the left, and unplug your e200.

The firmware will automatically reinstall.

Your next step, following the “firmware upgrade in progress” screen, is to try starting the device by turning it on (the device will power off following firmware (re)installation.  Upon start, all should be well.  The device will rebuild the music database if there was music loaded on the device prior to installation of the firmware. 

If it starts, and continually reboots, there is one more fix.  The device is “choking” on a corrupted bit in memory, a simple glitch to repair.  You need to format the device, and reload the music.  Formatting can be done using a very cool trick.  Again, using recovery mode, remember that you are exposing the reserved partition, so formatting must never be done via the PC in this mode (since it wipes out the reserved partiton). 

Since the device is “wigging out” when started, recovery mode is a great way to access the reserved partition for recovery.  It connects manually in MSC mode- but remember, it’s the reserved partition that is accessible in this mode.  As shown above, if you connect in recovery mode, double click on the 16MB FORMAT icon to open the partition.  Now, with the mouse pointer inside the box (you’ll see the single version.info file there), just right click and select new folder.  Then simply rename this folder sansa.fmt.  Easy, huh?  The sansa automatically reformats itself if it “sees” this phrase in the reserved partition, once disconnected.

Don’t forget to slide the HOLD switch back first, as it locks the player.

Bob 

Thank you Bob,  I have one more question.  how do i get the player into recovery mode. 

Mike

To activate Recovery Mode:

Start with the e200 turned OFF.  Slide the top LOCK / HOLD switch to the right (orange bar showing).

Press and keep holding the REC button on the left side of the player while plugging in.

The player will state “Welcome to Recovery Mode, USB 2.0 MSD”

On the computer, you can open a Windows Explorer session on the PC.  The player will appear as a new icon 16MB FORMAT

_ Remember, there is one very important thing to remember when connected in Recovery Mode: NO NOT use the Windows “Format” command when connected in this mode, as it erases critical data needed on the player. _

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: