Deleting file from device

I have a e260.  Is there ANY way to remove a music file from the device without connecting it to the computer?

On the version 2, yes. Version one, no. Check the back of the device for the exact model. V2 will be indicated after e260 if it is version 2.

You can also check “info” on the setting menu. if the firmware starts with 2, it means it’s a version 2 player.

@hckrs2k3 wrote:
You can also check “info” on the setting menu. if the firmware starts with 2, it means it’s a version 2 player.

No, the firmware version begins with a “3” if it is a v2. :wink:

Yes, my bad.

There is a solution.  This is the answer I wish somebody would have given me when I had asked it:

On e260R and on v1* e260, you can’t delete files from the device itself (aka on-the-fly file deletion), but you can download a third party firmware called Rockbox.  This firmware will allow you to delete files from the device itself. The website itself has directions that you can follow to update your firmware to Rockbox.

Third party firmwares are a bit risky, and this can result in a bricked Sansa if not careful.  I found that Vista64 did not update the firmware properly because a driver needs to be installed on the computer, so I ended up using Vista32 to properly update to Rockbox, and now I am able to delete files on the fly.

*In Settings/Info, version 1 starts with the number 1, and version 2 starts with number 3.