Database capacity?

Rockbox OS is completely file based.  It has a file structure beneath the .rockbox folder on the player, and as such has the freedom to write the DB to the main memory of the device.  As you database grows, the database file it reads from grows.

As long as you have the storage on the device to hold the database file, then you are good.

It looks as if the database on the original Fuze is held within a specified “reserved” space of memory for the firmware.  As a result, there is a limit to the size of the DB.  

The worst part is that the “folder” navigation offered on the player is not true folder navigation and is actually just folder representations of the DB.  

If the folder navigation were simply navigating the file structure, then I could live without the DB.

Thankfully, I found a workaround.  I found that as long as I don’t modify the date in Rockbox, I can overwrite the bootloader and reload the original firmware, transfer files to rhapsody and reload the bootloader.

It adds approximately an extra 2 minutes of time, but allows me to play subscription content.

Not the best, but once I went to Rockbox, I found the original firmware so limiting.  Playlist creation in Rockbox is so easy, I don’t think I could go back.

I hope Rockbox for the zip comes soon, because I will need a replacement player as soon as the internal batteries of my Fuze run out.