Database capacity?

@saratoga wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

@comedie wrote:

no doubt that could be one of the things, but then if not for album art, what is the intent of adding a color screen and making it larger?

I suspect it is simply a hardcoded amount of memory for their internal db structure, and things like long names and taggings deplete it faster. On the face of it, a simple improvement would be to increase the memory allocated to the structure.

That could well be one of the factors that prevents the max song limit from being reached.  When the fuze’s db limit was increased from 4,000 to 8,000, the player had to be formatted to be able to reach that limit.  It allowed the database to be rebuilt and to be able to “grow” large enough to accomodate the new size. 

What you say a “hardcoded” amount of memory, do you mean that Sandisk’s devs can’t just increase the limit with a firmware revision?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_coded

As in, coded directly into the software and requiring a software update to change (as opposed to having a setting that can be changed without recompiling).

Thanks for the link.  I guess I get the meaning, being a non-programmer, between hardcoded and softcoded.  lol

It seems to me that it’s similiar to the difference between v1 and v2 tags.  The v1 tags have a set amount of space to add info into while the v2 tags have the ability to expand with the addition of more info so there’s room for things like lyrics and embedded album art.