DRM License Not Available

Upgraded to the Sansa Fuze+ last week; after several hours of play every music track read “DRM License Not Available”. I am unable to listen to any songs. I have reformatted, restored and download all songs (650 songs). Again after several hours of play, “DRM License Not Available” appears. When talking to Sandisk Tech Support they suggest restoring, reformatting and download all song again, which is very time consuming. I never had this problem with my Sansa Fuze, wish I never upgraded to the Sansa Fuze+.  Any recommendations for a better MP3 Player.

I’m getting this same thing, although I haven’t reformatted yet… Although I’ll try it.  It won’t let me add new songs through Napster, it says there is a problem with the internal clock in the Fuze… Even though the clock on the Fuze is accurate.  It says DRM LIcense not available when I try to play DRM songs, even though Napster says it was last connected today.

Please help!

I have this issue at least once a week and I have Rhapsody… I have called Rhapsody several times and this last time (I am on the phone with them now infact)/… they are saying its an issue with the Fuze+ and that they are getting many calls regarding thsi issue… for me, I have to format my device every single time and its sooo annoying. 

It appears this is happening for more than one music service.  Seems to me that the problem lies here with Sansa.  It is a shame that they cannot get this to work properly.  I bought two of these for my kids and both have the same problem.  I agree that reformatting EVERY time to fix this is not a fix.

This needs to be corrected or I have 2 very shiny paperweights  :cry:

My dad has the original Fuze and his did the DRM License error with Napster. I have the Fuze+ and mine did it with Rhapsody. I havent had any issues with Napster as of yet. This problem definitely lies with Sansa then since its doing the same with Napster and Rhapsody.

In Rhapsody, there is a way to resynchronize the secure clock. this internal clock is completely separate from the clock displayed on the screen.

Connect your Fuze+ and open the Rhapsody 4 client on the PC.

In the left side, there is the sources pane, where the Fuze+ is listed.  Now for the secret handshake.  Hold the [ctrl] and [shift] keys down, while right clicking on the Fuze+.  Reset Secure Clock will now be available in the pop up menu.

Give this a try and see if all is well once you disconnect.

The idea here is to see if we can reset the Fuze without the inconvenience of reloading everything from scratch.  If this does not do the trick, plug in again, and this time simply use the right click of the mouse without the pressed key trick, and try selecting deauthorize , then authorize Fuze once again.

Let me know how this goes!  I don’t have a troublesome device on hand to see if I can sleuth it out.  So far, Rhapsody has been great on the machine, if only the Artist Information function would work properly.

Bob  :dizzy_face:

Thank you Neutron Bob. Will give it a try and let you know the results.

Bob,

I have tried all the this and still get the same error eventually.  I have run the Device compatibilty report in Rhapsody and got the following:

Device Compatibility Report for Sansa Fuze+ :
This PC reports it is running ‘Microsoft Windows Vista , 32-bit’

This device is Rhapsody-optimized (RhapPFS)
This device supports Windows Media Digital Rights Management (WMDRM)
This device supports ‘WMDM_MTP’ communication protocol
MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol.
This device should be compatible with Rhapsody Premier or Rhapsody Premier Plus subscriptions as it is currently configured.

This device is authorized to the current user ‘xxx’.
xxx has a Rhapsody Premier or Rhapsody Premier Plus subscription.
As configured, this device should work with Rhapsody Premier or Rhapsody Premier Plus subscriptions.
Rhapsody users with a Rhapsody Premier or Rhapsody Premier Plus subscription can transfer Rhapsody subscription content to their authorized devices.

You should be able to transfer subscription tracks to this device.
You should be able to transfer purchased or imported tracks to this device.

This device needs to have the track licenses updated.
Click the ‘Update Track Licenses’ button below.

This device’s internal secure clock is up to date.

Unable to synchronize the track licenses on the device. Error codes: 0x1, 0x8004c029.

The last line is what I get trying to resync AFTER getting the DRM error.  The only fix is to reformat and load songs again only to have to repeat this process again after a couple of days.  Rhapsody support does not seem to be able to help.

If you or an admin have any ideas I’m sure everyone with this issue would appreciate it.

Thanks - Eric

I am having the same problem with the same error message/report as above. I got my Sansa Fuze+ as a Chrismas gift and have had numerous issues with it from the get go.

I have tried all the other suggestions for this DRM License error, but it appears that the only solution is to reformat the device. However, that brings up another set of issues with transferring songs and playlists. It took me over a week to reload my 1300+ songs, just a few at a time, this last go round. If reformatting and wiping out my tracks is the only fix for this problem, then this Sansa Fuse+ is no better than a brick.

I’ll return this expensive brick, cancel my Rhapsody subscription, and go back to using Pandora for free. Yeah, I don’t get to select the songs, but I don’t have problem after problem and can at least listen to music without constantly messing with a “fix” of some sort.

Ditto. Having the exact same issue with Fuze+, not my other daughters Fuze.

I’d really like to see a fix soon for this. My daughter is asking if we can send it back and get something else.

Same problem here - my daughter received the fuze+ as a gift.  We use Rhapsody.  Worked fine for a week or two, now the Rhapsody client reports “Unable to synchronize licenses. Error code 0x8004c029”.  The only published solution is to reformat and reload music, but that is only temporary - problem comes back.  Would like to see an official response from SanDisk acknowledging the problem and committing to a resolution, time frame, etc.

@kurtsowers wrote:

Same problem here - my daughter received the fuze+ as a gift.  We use Rhapsody.  Worked fine for a week or two, now the Rhapsody client reports “Unable to synchronize licenses. Error code 0x8004c029”.  The only published solution is to reformat and reload music, but that is only temporary - problem comes back.  Would like to see an official response from SanDisk acknowledging the problem and committing to a resolution, time frame, etc.

Agreed.  This is unacceptable.  Who wants to reformat every other day…:angry:

I’ve reformatted.

I’ve updated the firmware.

I’ve reset the secure clock.

I’ve deauthorized and reauthorized my computer AND the Fuze+.

None of these fixes has solved the problem.  The longest I’ve been able to listen to my subscription tracks is two days. 

I know it’s not my Rhapsody, because my wife’s Clip is working fine. 

I’m willing to keep trying, since it appears the original Fuze is going out of production, and the Sansa series is the most cost-effective product out there (wife loves the Clip…), but this is absolutely ridiculous.  It’s been happening for over two months now.

I’d RMA it.

I had a similar problem with secure clock issues with the original Fuze that I bought at Best Buy.  I eventually contacted Sandisk Support and they sent me one that gave me a lifetime of worry free use.

I got an 8Gig Fuze+ and “knock on wood” my licenses are working just fine.  The Fuze+ once you get it running will love Rhapsody.  I have blinding fast transfers.  I have U-verse, and it seemed my transfer rate to the Fuze seemed to be the bottleneck.

The Fuze+ works so much better.

The original Fuze seemed to have an issue with the secure clock as well.  I hope you get a good one. 

I agree, contact Support for a new device.  Mine has been quite happy with Rhapsody.  I really love how fast it communicates and updates with the R4 client, great improvement.

It sounds like your Fuze+ has a hardware issue. 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Hmmm, strange how so many Fuze+ devices apparently have “hardware” issues. And isn’t it strange how the Sanza experts are completely happy with theirs? No wonder you don’t seem to care about the rest of us and toss platitudes at us instead of real, long-lasting solutions that fix the problem(s) once and for all. If your only “solution” is to return the product for a replacement, that’s really not a solution at all.

This DRM License Not Available is not the only problem with this product. I personally have experienced multiple issues (with uploading playlists, freezing, etc.), and have seen those issues reported on both SanDisk and Rhapsody user forums. The playlist issue was posted over a year ago, and there’s STILL no resolution - just crickets chirping from Rhapsody - no reply at all for several months. Other users have complained of the same issues with the Fuze+ when using Napster, so it’s not just Rhapsody, and still others have had similar problems with Rhapsody with other Sanza products, not just the new Fuze+. What’s the common denominator? SanDisk products.

Perhaps it’s time to go back to the drawing board, SanDisk, and figure out what bugs are causing all these problems - if you even care to do so - or have you already moved on to the next product and aren’t looking back?

I give up on both SanDisk and Rhapsody to find a lasting fix for all the issues I’ve had with the combinied product/service. I returned my Fuze+ to Best Buy. Reason why: DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED!

@janellrs wrote:

Hmmm, strange how so many Fuze+ devices apparently have “hardware” issues. And isn’t it strange how the Sanza experts are completely happy with theirs? No wonder you don’t seem to care about the rest of us and toss platitudes at us instead of real, long-lasting solutions that fix the problem(s) once and for all. If your only “solution” is to return the product for a replacement, that’s really not a solution at all.

This DRM License Not Available is not the only problem with this product. I personally have experienced multiple issues (with uploading playlists, freezing, etc.), and have seen those issues reported on both SanDisk and Rhapsody user forums. The playlist issue was posted over a year ago, and there’s STILL no resolution - just crickets chirping from Rhapsody - no reply at all for several months. Other users have complained of the same issues with the Fuze+ when using Napster, so it’s not just Rhapsody, and still others have had similar problems with Rhapsody with other Sanza products, not just the new Fuze+. What’s the common denominator? SanDisk products.

Perhaps it’s time to go back to the drawing board, SanDisk, and figure out what bugs are causing all these problems - if you even care to do so - or have you already moved on to the next product and aren’t looking back?

I give up on both SanDisk and Rhapsody to find a lasting fix for all the issues I’ve had with the combinied product/service. I returned my Fuze+ to Best Buy. Reason why: DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED!

I went through three fuzes before I found one that was reliable.  These were V1 Fuzes and they definitely had DRM problems with the secure clock. 

If fact the only perfect Sansa I ever really had was the E280R because it used hardware based licensing and the older Rhapsody DRM which allowed you to renew the license on an entire device vice per file.

Microsoft PFS DRM has always been problematic, so much so that Microsoft themselves abondoned it themselves for a newer version of it for their Zune ecosystem.

Play For Sure uses a really perverse per file licensing system where each and every file must have it’s own license file and it has to be updated.  Sansa is not the only DAP that has had problems with Microsoft’s kludgey DRM system.

Rhapsody and Napster have never been much help either.  Rhapsody used to have it’s Helix DRM system which was far superior to PFS, it required a player to have a license permanently hard coded to the device.  The E280R was beautiful, but Real Networks could not convince other hardware manufacturers to adopt Helix and thus had to settle for PFS.

I am not justifying any of this, but merely just mentioning the facts as they are.  Secure clock problems have always seemed to follow Sansa, and I do wish they did a little more QC.  Return the unit if you wish.  Sony looks to have a pretty nice player in the under 100 dollar range.

However, the player is not expandable, and that’s a deal killer for me.  I have a 24GB flash player and I was able to take my SD chip from my last player to this one.  That convenience is not to be underestimated.

Sansa has always taken awhile to mature their products, but in most cases the patience has paid off.  But if you would rather get a return, so be it.  I think you will note that us “Sansa Experts” are such because we have remained loyal to the brand despite their problems because they have good customer service and are responsive to the customer.

Most other DAP companies have had firmware problems too, but they rarely fix the bugs in their products and almost NEVER add user suggested feature enhancements.  Sansa has done both.  And despite the warts, the Clip/Fuze family are some of the best sounding MP3 players out there with the Clip sounding better than players 5 times as much.

There’s a reason that the Clip is still on anythingbutipod.com’s best player list for 2010 even though it was built in early 09. 

Is there a way for me to do that (return to Sandisk for a new device) without the receipt or original packaging?

I tossed them because it worked fine for the first month I had it.

North America Technical Support
1-866-SANDISK (726-3475)
8am - 7pm Pacific Standard Time
11am - 10pm Eastern Standard Time
CLOSED Saturdays and Sundays
OPEN on Dec. 26

I can’t comment on receipt/original packaging.  My experience with them has always been positive.  They will most likely require you to return the unit first prior to shipping out the replacement. 

You may be in luck because the Fuze+ is a fairly new product, and I don’t think it’s been out a year yet, so all players released are still in warranty.

Hope everything goes well with you.

Good luck.

Tried the “Reset Secure Clock” about 7 days ago.  “DRM License Not Available” is back. I hear Phillips has a MP3 that works well with Rhapsody.  Anyone has recommendations on a MP3 player other than the Fuze +.