ClipZip is very slow to make even minor changes to content. Even using all MP3 files as content.

Marvin_Martian,

Thanks for the quick reply and the Mp3tag settings.  I’ll try those out and see what happens. Your sample image of your personal tagging practices did not show up on my screen for some reason when I viewed your reply. I would like to see that.

Just last night I decided to refresh my podcasts on my ClipZip.  I deleted about 12 podcasts and added about 14 new ones, which is about a normal weekly refresh for me.  I have already given up on daily changes to this player.  It is just too slow to hassle with the delays on a daily basis, so I have gone to weekly updates for podcasts and any other content changes.  All of these podcast changes were made to the ClipZip memory, as I know changes to the card take a lot longer to process than the player’s own memory.  

It took the ClipZip  49 minutes to complete it’s “Refreshing Your Media” cycle after these 26 podcast file changes were applied.   I do have 3100 or so songs on my 32 GB memory card occupying 27 GB of that space, but I made no changes to that content.

Here is another interesting discovery I just made while writing this.  When the player just finished it’s refresh cycle (after 49 minutes) I reconnected it to my computer to check how much memory space I was using on the card (to give you the 27 GB info detail above).  I then ejected the player from the computer and, even though I made no additional content changes to the player, or the card, the player started another refresh cycle that took another 49 minutes to complete.  This is incredible!   Incredibly bad that is!    No changes to content and you have to wait for the player to refresh for another 49 minutes.  It looks like the player forgot the previous refresh cycle it just completed and started it all over again.  I guess the SanDisk engineers skipped usability training. 

I notice you mentioned that for you these refresh delays are tiresome.  For me they are a sign that SanDisk has a very inefficient content update routine that should be replaced ASAP with a new design that can allow daily updating without these annoying, usability destroying, refresh delays. It is becoming increasingly clear that SanDisk has dropped the ball when it comes to having a content update routine that scales for the memory capacity of the new player.  They need to fix this or lose customers permanently. That is the bottom line.

GPH