ClipZip and windows 8

I have a new Dell W8 computer and am having an issue where my ClipZip is not recognized by my computer. Does anyone know how to correct this? I think I need the drivers for the ClipZip, but SanDisk support has not provided them.

Try MSC mode on your Clip Zip. It should be recognized as any other external drive (hard drive, thumb drive, etc.)

Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MSC.

I too have this problem - device is not being recognized by my new Windows 8 Dell laptop - no difference whether i change to MSC or autodetect mode.

SanDisk, any recommendations?

If you haven’t yet done so, you might try going under Windows’ device manager and uninstall/unauthorize any Clip player listed there.  That will force Windows to try to set up a brand new connection the next time you connect up–this sometimes will work.

I have Windows 8 and a Dell Notebook. Clip Zip Woks fine.

I’m having the same problem with Windows 8 on a new Toshiba Satellite and my Sansa Clip Zip.  Just started down the road to resolution. Wondering how to download new firmware, if that’s the answer, when the laptop doesn’t recognize the USB device.  The brave little Clip Zip says it’s connected. hmmm.

@margiebh wrote:

I’m having the same problem with Windows 8 on a new Toshiba Satellite and my Sansa Clip Zip.  Just started down the road to resolution. Wondering how to download new firmware, if that’s the answer , when the laptop doesn’t recognize the USB device.  The brave little Clip Zip says it’s connected. hmmm.

It’s not.

But you can get the latest firmware update in the Sansa Firmware Thread in the User Guide | Firmware | Software board on this forum.

Same experience here. Changing USB Mode to MSC doesn’t fix things.

Should I download firmware as described fore other Sansa players?

Changing to the third USB port, located on the left side on my Toshiba laptop, seemed to do the trick.  I downloaded the clipzip update and followed the instructions on the update page on this forum. I hope I’m all set now.

@margiebh wrote:

Same experience here. Changing USB Mode to MSC doesn’t fix things.

Should I download firmware as described fore other Sansa players?

So does anyone have a straight answer on how to make the clip zip work with Windows 8?

@jp12345 wrote:

So does anyone have a straight answer on how to make the clip zip work with Windows 8?

Um, it does, without more.  Are you haveing an issue–what are the particulars?  Have you tried all the suggestions posted above? 

@jp12345 wrote:

Um, it does, without more.  Are you haveing an issue–what are the particulars?  Have you tried all the suggestions posted above? 

I’ve tried all the suggestions on this site and my ClipZip still won’t work with Windows 8.

If you have not yet done so, I would telephone SanDisk Customer Service for support, and they can work with you and walk you through some things.  

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

I got somewhere today - here’s what I found

When I get the message “USB not recognized”, go to your “computer” icon, select “Manage”, then under “Other Devices” uninstall the Unknown Device.  Follow that by “Scan for hardware changes”.  Here’s where I finally had success and my pc found the clip zip.  NOTE: This is VERY inconsistent, in trying to re-create this to document for this forum, I had to try this SEVERAL times before my pc finally recognized my Clip ZIP!  I got an error message also saying the the Sansa Updater would not work on my operating system, I just closed this msg.

Unfortunately, even though I am able to connect finally, it’s not permanent and I have to go through this every time I unplug my clip zip!

Same issue as everybody else.  New Dell XPS running Windows 8 won’t recognize the ClipZip.  I tried different USB ports, removing the Clip from the computer (list of devices) and plugging it in again, changed the USB settings - all to no avail.  Also, the Firmware Updater is not compatible with my operating system either, according to my computer.  Anybody find a solution to this yet?  I just bought this thing and hope I didn’t waste my money.

yup - same problem as eveyone else - I think I am finding that the connector between the USB cable and the clip zip needs wiggling to get the pc to recognize the clip zip. I am about to contact technical support again to discuss this with them. 

But for you:

First, after connecting to your pc UNINSTALL the unknown device via the MANAGE option from you COMPUTER icon, then SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES (Found under Action on the menu line)

MOST OF ALL: CONTACT SANSA TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Good luck - I’m pretty disappointed with the compatability between the clip zip and windows 8 and the lack of support…

If you have to wiggle the connector, that would suggest a physical problem with the connector or USB port. I’ve found that the USB connectors on different devices fit loosely in the front USB ports of my computer.

The above fix worked for me - First, after connecting to your pc UNINSTALL the unknown device via the MANAGE option from you COMPUTER icon, then SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES (Found under Action on the menu line), and choose install legacy device.  it took 3-5 minutes :slight_smile:

I was having the same problem as eveyone else. Dell XPS and Clip Zip. I was going to go to the device manager and try that. Switched to the “Metro” screen to search for control panel and suddenly my Clip was recognized and a little blue box appeared in the upper right corner. I clicked that and it took me back to the desktop and the old familiar Sansa interface. 

Try it!