Clip Zip will not show folder names under Books/Audiobooks menu

Firmware has been updated, but folder names will not be shown. Only “Unknown” under the audiobooks category.

When giong into the audiobooks menu, it goes directly to the titles list when going in. On exiting out, it shows Unknown as if it was now showing a folder name. Exit one more time then it goes to the books menu with Audiobooks and Podcasts as options.

Also, it is only showing one “Unknown” folder name when there are more.

This exact same thing happens under the Podcasts menu also.

What am I missing here? Thanks.

Currently, folder navigation only operates from the Music submenu, and allows navigation in the music folder.

Books / Audible Books / Podcasts can only be navigated using the standard ID3 tag navigation method.  Without this data, all we can do is navigate between “unknown” and “unknown”.

As you have described, note that there isn’t a folders option under Books.  The Clip Zip has basic navigation under Music only at the moment.  I understand your frustration (The Fuze+ lets me navigate all over the place with ease in comparison, but it’s runnning a different processor platform despite looking similar to the Clip Zip user interface)

The best thing to do is correct your ID3 tag data on your music using a proper tag editor like MP3Tag.  Once this is done that first time with your computer’s music library, everything can be navigated easily.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks Bob.

This would be less of an issue if they would include the **bleep** track time and number in the music menu. Just like SanDisk to so something 90%. Leaving just a couple little things off.

Hehe, I must agree with you.  I LOVE the time elapsed / time remaining display when in the “books” section (audiobook / audible / podcast).  I support the idea of being able to swap between the “song rating” display ane the time one.

Hey, I like the clean look of the song rating bar, it’s a nice feature when listening, it would be great to be able to swap over to the time display for music as well.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@miraxian wrote:

Thanks Bob.

This would be less of an issue if they would include the **bleep** track time and number in the music menu. Just like SanDisk to so something 90%. Leaving just a couple little things off.

With the Clip Zip and its larger screen and album art, SanDisk seems to have gone a bit form over function, choosing to have an attractive screen of album art at the sacrifice of user playing information, unfortunately.

Hi, I’m trying to load an audio book consisting of .cda files into my new Sansa Clip Zip but can’t get the player to recognize that the files are in the Internal Memory/audiobooks folder.  Can you help?  Thanks!  pepper

Hi, I just posted this and then found your answer to the above.  Can you send me a link to more info on how to do this… "The best thing to do is correct your ID3 tag data on your music using a proper tag editor like MP3Tag."

Thanks!!

Pepper

It’s not the ID3 tags but the file format:  the Clips (and most orher players) don’t play audio, cda-format files.  Rather, you need to rip those files into a supported computer format such as mp3 (the most common).  Windows Media Player and other rippers (such as CDex) will do this for you, but learn their settings first, which can and will affect quality and file size–you have a few choices there to learn about.

I’ve read the entire discussion on this and I’m still confused. I got my Clip Zip 4G at Christmas 2011. I’ve listened to probably 40-50 audiobooks, which are wma files since getting it. It has always listed the folders in my audiobooks under “titles” and then whichever one I picked, it listed the different tracks. Then 2 days ago it quit listing the folders under “titles” and dumped all the wma files into 1 big list. Why did it just now change the way it handled them? I really liked how this started, but now, if I have more than 1 book on it, it’s a real pain. Which I normally have at least 2 so if I finish one at work I can start a new book. Any ideas on what changed? I’ve downloaded all my books from a local library and this hasn’t been an issue until, like I said, 2 days ago.

Thanks for any insight you can give. :crying_cat_face:

Nevermind the above question. Though I never got an answer anyhow. But my husband figured it out. If you pick one of the mp3 files for the book, right click and look at properties under details, there should be the album name listed. If not, it won’t place them in a folder on the sandisk. So he copied and pasted the name of the album on all the mp3’s for the book and then copied to my player and there it was. Now it’s the first thing I check before putting the book on my player. I’m not sure when the album name got zapped, but it happened to 2 books that I downloaded about the same date. Since then there has always been an album title on the books so I haven’t had to “fix” any.

Just thought I’d post this in case someone searches for the same problem.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The best thing to do is correct your ID3 tag data on your music using a proper tag editor like MP3Tag.  Once this is done that first time with your computer’s music library, everything can be navigated easily.

Change the ID3 tags on dozens of podcasts per week? Not going to happen.

Sandisk have to learn that it is not us, the users, who should have to modify our files. Rather it is up to Sandisk to provide firmware that works with what we have. All my files are organised by file name and a directory structure. The Clip Zip ignores that, which makes it pretty much unusable for me.

So the best thing to do is sell the Clip Zip and buy a player from another manufacturer, which is what I’m going to do

Chris

MP3 idv31 tag - enter album name - works just fine