Clip Zip not recognized w/ my car Nav unit

@promisedplanet wrote:

“If so, all of the Rhapsody music I loaded in MTP cannot co-exist with those in MSC?”

They can only co-exist in the sense that they can both be on your Clip at the same time, but only one or the other is visible/playable at any one time, based on the MTP/MSC setting.  This would be the case for any music you load onto your Clip (for example, non-subscription MP3s bought from Amazon), although there’s no need to load non-subscription music onto your Clip in MTP mode (though it can be done).

Just to clarify, music files loaded in both MTP & MSC modes are visible to and playable on the player. It doesn’t care; it will see them all.

However, if you connect to another device like your car stereo, it will only see and play those files loaded in MSC mode.

When connected to your computer, it will only see the files loaded in the same USB mode as it is connected in at the time. In other words, to see files originally loaded/transferred in MTP mode, the player must in MTP mode when connected to your computer. Same thing for MSC.

You can see the possibility for mass confusion here, so it’s best to use one mode or the other for all files all the time. Might I suggest that if you use Rhapsody, you stick with MTP mode on the player. For the car stereo, get a memory card and reader, loading it with songs in MSC mode. Memory cards are cheap, and smaller than the player, plus there’s no cord giving potential theives the clue there’s something to steal if they glance into your car unattended. It’s a simple thing to pull the card reader & card and stash it somewhere out of sight when you leave the car, and there’s no cord to have to fiddle with.

As the controls on the player do not work when plugged into your car’s stereo, you are essentially using the player as a ‘dumb’ memory storage space anyway . . . might as well use a memory card. There’s no benefit to using the player.