Clip Zip: issues with Kingston 32GB Class 10

Hi all,

I just purchased a Sansa Clip Zip to replace an old iPod Nano that started having battery issues.

This seemed like the right thing to do, as I got fed up of iTunes and Apple in general.

I purchased a Kingston microSD 32GB Class 10, so not exactly a cheap low-end card.

Unfortunately, I can not manage to make it work with the Clip Zip.

The card is fine, it works on my PC (Windows 7 x64) when I plug it in my card reader.

but it never worked properly on the Clip Zip.

I tried formatting it with Windows, the SD association tool, and the Clip Zip, and it still doesn’t work.

I tried plugging the Clip Zip with both USB modes, none worked.

It will either show 0MB in windows and in the player, or say that the card is not formatted (but then windows is unable to format it), or seldom show the 29.9GB capacity, let me copy some songs, but they never show up on the Clip Zip when I unplug it.

If I format the card with my card reader, and put some songs in it, it will work, but the songs will not show up in the Clip Zip, and then I get the issues I described above.

Anybody familiar with these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

P.S.: Sandisk, if you’re reading this:

I would have bought the Fuze+, but a touchscreen based interface is unpractical.

Please make the Fuze Zip (or any future Fuze model) with physical buttons.

It’s a known issue that the Zip has some compatibility issues with certain cards.

My advice? Return the Kingston card and buy a SanDisk. Class 2 is perfectly fine. You’re wasting your money on a Class 10. They’re only designed for (and/or needed) for cameras and video.

But do keep in mind, a higher class card can be good for putting content on and off the card, using a card reader or a slot on your computer.  If you do that a lot, something to consider, especially if the price is close. 

thank you both for your reply.

I am now testing with a Kingston 32GB Class 4 that I originally bought for my phone, and it seems to work so far.

The phone works fine with the Class 10.

If I knew, I’d have bought Sandisk cards, but I did not expect such issues.

I bought the Class 10 to have the “best” memory card, since the price difference was not that big and I thought I could use it in the future to make song transfer faster. 

Hi,before buying anything and taking decision at a moment is not good.You can post here in the forum and could have asked for reviews.Here from sandisk admins could assist you which would be the perfect for you and then you can go any buy it.

Hi

I also had issues with the Sansa Clip Zip,

Originally I purchased a Kingston 32gb card, I loaded the internal memory with 5000 tracks and the external with about 2500 tracks but a few hundred tracks from the card does not show up in the player.

Based on the advice here I purchased a Sandisk Brand new card from amazon and the problem still consist

Another issue which I have that on some files on the player I see “” as the album artist

Also on the Sansa clip+ players I could see the amount of tracks I have on the player when I pressed “Play All” on the new sansa zip I don’t see that option

I appreciate any help

@ubtapes wrote:

Originally I purchased a Kingston 32gb card, I loaded the internal memory with 5000 tracks and the external with about 2500 tracks but a few hundred tracks from the card does not show up in the player.

Based on the advice here I purchased a Sandisk Brand new card from amazon and the problem still consist

You’ve probably hit the file limit, which is listed as 8000 but can be less depending on several factors.

@ubtapes wrote:

Also on the Sansa clip+ players I could see the amount of tracks I have on the player when I pressed “Play All” on the new sansa zip I don’t see that option

There is no track counter or Play All option on the Zip. These are 2 things that are sorely missed by previous Clip+ users (including myself) and has been requested (several times) to be added back in a firmware update. The ball is in SanDisk’s court at this time.

And as to the album artist issue, are the ID3 tags for that filled in?   

Hi Thanks for the reply,

as I said I loaded only 7500 tracks which is less then the max .

But I was on a long chat conversation with SanDisk support I formatted the device and the cards several times, and I reloaded with no luck

Now I tried again…with way less then 8000 tracks (about 10gb), untill a certain point I can see the internal and the external data but because of the counter # issue I don’t where it stops

Miikerman, The albums are tagged properly with titles , filenames, artists

The “max.” is not really a maximum, but an approximation–the actual max depends on other factors as well (things like, I believe, folder structure on the player and the like). Don’t you just love “approximations” with technology? :wink: As to the bad ID3 reporting, I wonder, if you currenty have the player’s USB setting set at MTP, if things would work better if set to MSC–MTP USB mode can muck things up at times, it seems, with ID3 tags.

Tnx Mikerman for the reply, you kinda shed some light on my issue…:wink:

So how can we determine the limit I loaded now about 1500 files on the card and 3500 on the internal, but most files from the card are not showing up I only have a feww hundred folders?

My Player was set on Auto Detect, not and MSC or MTP , if I will reload there may be a difference?

What is the real recommended setting?

Is there any ETA on the new firmware, hope it will include some of my issues fixed

Again I appreciate your help

As to new firmware fixing matters, I wouldn’t count on it–the player max has been a constant in the Clip line.

The USB mode used really depends on your own needs.  If you have DRM’ed files, you need to use MTP mode.  Apart from that, however, many people prefer to use MSC mode–it tends to cause fewer glitches.  I’d start all over and try it, if you haven’t already. Who knows, maybe this will fix matters.  Regardless, I’d avoid Auto mode, in which the player can use both MTP and MSC modes, just confusing matters.

And the total number of files you have seems well below the limit.  You might try reformatting both the card and the internal memory and starting over, under MSC mode.  Sometimes a reformat can fix odd issues.  I hope it does for you!

I doubt if this issue has to do with Kingston Cards. I’d rather believe that all the “Card issues” we have with the sansa players, is more related to a bug/s on the sansa players with the cards. Please note:I am not an Agent for Kingston…:wink:

I treid all the solutions posted, I formatted the units and the cards (I have here around 10) a nice amount of times.I also made sure to load on MSC. I also made sure the tags are correct, I made sure it contains 5 folders so the folders should not be a issue and I loaded on the device approx 1000 files and on the Sandisk 32gbcard approx 4000 files which is way less then the posted amount and it takes for the clip zip to refresh the data untill the battery burns out I treid multiple times. All of the Data is MP3 format only 44KHZ, and 32KBPS, 16bit Mono.

I was trying to work with sandisk Card  & I had the same issues which I had with the kingston cards. With the Sansa clip+ we sold 100’s of it with no issues so I hope Sansdisk will not trow us back . I would love to see the updates on the new firmware.

"on the Sandisk 32gbcard approx 4000 files which is way less then the posted amount and  it takes for the clip zip to refresh the data untill the battery burns out I treid multiple times"

Interesting.  I’ve put about 2500 songs on an “A-Data” 16GB Class 6 MicroSDHC card, and although it takes a while to do the database refresh, it didn’t take anywhere near that long.  Maybe 10 minutes.  Sounds like something may be hanging up the database refresh, although you may want to run an SD card verification utility against your card to see if there’s any issue there.  “h2testw” is a good program, though there may be others more suitable for you.

Also consider the alternative firmware Rockbox, which does database updating in the background.