Clip Zip and Rockbox

I am new to Sansa player, having only previously used ipods. I have a bunch of music with characters in the title that the CZ will not accept, for example, French and Irish accents, Chinese and Japanese characters etc. Why Sansa would put out a player that does not have a way of downloading such songs is beyond me, but I digress. I have 3 questions:

(1) Does Rockbox alleviate the import problem re these songs?

(2) Is it ready for prime time for the CZ, or is it still in development? (I should add that I am computer pretty much computer illiterate and am looking for something that does not require tinkering.

(3) If RB is not yet fully functional, is there another application out there that will do the trick?

BTW, I should add that I am using an old PPC Mac.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

@divingduck wrote:

(2) Is it ready for prime time for the CZ, or is it still in development? (I should add that I am computer pretty much computer illiterate and am looking for something that does not require tinkering.

Then you’re probably not a good candidate for Rockbox.

(3) If RB is not yet fully functional, is there another application out there that will do the trick?

No, Rockbox is the only alternative firmware out there.

@tapeworm wrote:

@divingduck wrote:

Then you’re probably not a good candidate for Rockbox.

No, Rockbox is the only alternative firmware out there.

Agreed. :smiley:

@divingduck wrote:

I am new to Sansa player, having only previously used ipods. I have a bunch of music with characters in the title that the CZ will not accept, for example, French and Irish accents, Chinese and Japanese characters etc.

All the Clips have worked fine with non-English characters, I doubt the Zip is any different. Are you sure the tags are actually correct unicode? If not, they’ll probably fail on some devices.

As I answered in your separate post asking the same, the Rockbox port for the Clip Zip is in nearly final form (you can check the status at the Rockbox site - http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip and http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS)..) As long as you are willing to read some posts/info. as to how to get the software and firmware on your player–all easy to do–no real reason not to. (Having said that, always note the Rockbox warning that accidents can happen). A good thread of posts for all of this, with links to what you would need to do: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66292. If you’re not comfortable with all of that, I would wait a bit–it should all be formalized/finalized soon.

Also: you may want to skim through the Rockbox manual for the Clip Zip, to get a feel for if this is for you. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipzip.pdf Lots of info. there, but it only needs skimming, and Rockbox offers alot–the reason why the manual is a must, IMHO.

Thanks very much for all the info/help. I’ve come to the conclusion that either I am an ■■■■■, or something is seriously wrong with my player. I should preface the following by pointing out that all my songs were imported using itunes on a PPC Mac. Here’s an example of what I am talking about. I have an 8GB CZ with a 32GB card inserted. I put about 6GB of tunes on the internal CZ memory, and then started putting songs on the SD card. I’ve had umpteen problems with putting music on - it won’t take song titles like “Track 01” etc., which I understand is an ID tag issue. It also won’t take Japanese characters,. song titles with French accents, etc. OK, fine. But, why is this happening: Given all the problems I have been having (i.e…, put on a bunch of tunes, only to have it freeze up during the “refreshing media” phase), I’ve started adding albums one by one. That is, I put on an album, disconnect the CZ, and wait to see if it freezes or not. That way I can figure out which albums are problematic instead of having to fish through a bunch after importing them. So, I imported an album - Great Lake Swimmers’ Ongiara - that I imported to itunes from a store bought CD. Tried the refresh, it froze. So, I then did the pressing of the power button for the 15 second to unfreeze it, plugged it back in to the computer, deleted the album from the CZ, and tried to restart the CZ. No dice. It still freezes during the refresh. So, I decided to take off the previous album imported as well. Ta da! It made it through the refresh media phase this time. BUT - why would this have made any difference, since the CZ worked fine with that album on it before? This makes no sense to me. Can anyone enlighten me? I should add one last thing: I’ve run all the files through hidden cleaner to try to rid of them of suspect apple code (if that’s the right term).Thanks, from a very frustrated new “user” (user in brackets since I haven’t actually had a chance to use it yet).