Clip Zip SDXC Card Support?

Hi

Work Clip Zip with a SDXC Card?

Everyone tested it?

Not “everyone”, but I read that “someone” did. It works if you re-format the card to FAT32.

Sounds good.

I take a look on SanDisk SDSDQY-064G-U46A Mobile Ultra 6 MicroSDXC 64GB for Clip Zip with Original Firmware.

Note that there is still an 8,000 track database limit on the Zip player. This amount could easily be exceeded if using .mp3 files and this large a memory card.

No so easily. :slight_smile:

With a 32 Gig SD and 8 Gig Clip Zip i have 4500 MP3 Files. 192 KBPs.

Is the 8000 File Limit Hardware or Software based?

Can Firmware Update increase the Limit?

Similar the max 1000 Entry Limit in one Playlist.

It’s firmware based.  But unlikely that SanDisk will be making any modification to the Clip firmware for the current players, at this point, to increase the limit.

Note, though, that the alternative Rockbox firmware does not have this limit.  :)

@koto wrote:

No so easily. :slight_smile:

With a 32 Gig SD and 8 Gig Clip Zip i have 4500 MP3 Files. 192 KBPs.

Don’t be too sure. You add another 32GB to that equation and you’re almost there, especially when you consider the fact this 8,000 is only an ‘estimated’ limit. Many things can affect the actual count, such as very long track names, large embedded album art, deeply nested folder/file heirarchy, etc. Many have posted here that they have hit the ceiling at 5,000 tracks or even less.

@tapeworm wrote:

Not “everyone”, but I read that “someone” did. It works if you re-format the card to FAT32.

Windows (7) makes it hard to format the 64 GB microSDXC card to FAT32, but it was easy on a Mac.

With a few MP3s on it the Clip Zip worked fine, but after loading the card with 49.2 GB, the progress bar during database refreshing always freezes at 55% (the Clip+ behaves exactly the same, BTW). So I can’t get it to start again with inserted 64 GB card. This with firmware 01.01.17 and 01.01.20.

Actually the need for FAT32 makes me pessimistic in view of firmware upgrades enabling real SDXC compatibility, but who knows.

@jazz wrote:

With a few MP3s on it the Clip Zip worked fine, but after loading the card with 49.2 GB, the progress bar during database refreshing always freezes at 55% (the Clip+ behaves exactly the same, BTW). So I can’t get it to start again with inserted 64 GB card. This with firmware 01.01.17 and 01.01.20.

This is generally caused by an ID3 tag that the player can’t read during its refresh cycle. I doubt it has anything to do with the larger sized card.

@tapeworm wrote:

This is generally caused by an ID3 tag that the player can’t read during its refresh cycle. I doubt it has anything to do with the larger sized card.

I heavily doubt that. All of the files are the same or the same kind that work on the 32-GB SDHC card, ripped and encoded by myself, and the tags are all ID V1, carefully handmade by myself. After all the player officially supports cards up to 32 GB, not more.

@jazz wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

I heavily doubt that. All of the files are the same or the same kind that work on the 32-GB SDHC card, ripped and encoded by myself, and the tags are all ID V1 , carefully handmade by myself. After all the player officially supports cards up to 32 GB, not more.

It is a well-known fact (at least around this and other forums) that the only tag format that is known to be problem-free with the Sansa line of mp3 players is ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Not v1, not v2, and not the newer v2.4. Maybe this is your problem?

Worth considering or looking into anyway. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@jazz wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

I heavily doubt that. All of the files are the same or the same kind that work on the 32-GB SDHC card, ripped and encoded by myself, and the tags are all ID V1 , carefully handmade by myself. After all the player officially supports cards up to 32 GB, not more.

It is a well-known fact (at least around this and other forums) that the only tag format that is known to be problem-free with the Sansa line of mp3 players is ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Not v1, not v2, and not the newer v2.4. Maybe this is your problem?

Worth considering or looking into anyway. :wink:

V1 tags are all well and good if you’re using a 10-year-old player, I guess…lol. Other than that, step into the present.

I’ve found that the  ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags not only work properly on all the Sansas I’ve had, but on every other player I’ve tried…several Sonys, several iPods, two Cowons, several Samsungs, and even one Creative player.

ID V1 may not be modern, but I like to keep the ID tags short and simple. I never had a problem with my files and tags on any player. All my files are self-encoded and tagged, and as said, the tags are short and simple: title, performer, album, year and genre, nothing more. Never had a problem with them on any of my players or my Sansas. The first time a problem occurs is with the officially unsupported SDXC card. A merely accidental coincidence?

Why are you so  sure that it’s not the card/lack of compatibility? Where is the support that 64-GB SDXC cards are supposed to work with the Clip Zip (or Clip+)? Did I mention that the Clip+ reacts exactly the same?

It would be great if someone could tell his or her experience with this configuration here.

@jazz wrote:

ID V1 may not be modern, but I like to keep the ID tags short and simple. I never had a problem with my files and tags on any player. All my files are self-encoded and tagged, and as said, the tags are short and simple: title, performer, album, year and genre, nothing more. Never had a problem with them on any of my players or my Sansas. The first time a problem occurs is with the officially unsupported SDXC card. A merely accidental coincidence?

Why are you so  sure that it’s not the card/lack of compatibility? Where is the support that 64-GB SDXC cards are supposed to work with the Clip Zip (or Clip+)? Did I mention that the Clip+ reacts exactly the same?

It would be great if someone could tell his or her experience with this configuration here.

Perhaps Rockbox would be a resolution for you.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Perhaps Rockbox would be a resolution for you.

So there’s a Rockbox firmware for the Clip Zip? That’s certainly interesting. Does it effectively support SDXC cards?

@jazz wrote:

I’m not sure. I was merely stating that this is generally the case when database refresh freeze-ups occur. And it is a fact (and always has been) that Sansa players prefer the version 2.3 ID tag format. They just don’t work well with any of the other variants.

It could very well be that the SDXC cards are incompatible, even when formatted to FAT32. This is more or less un-charted territory here; not that many people have experimented with it. There’s a guy who posted over on the ABI forums that he had success with it, but you are only the 3rd person I’ve seen who has. Until the price drops on this (fairly) new, larger card, I doubt we’ll see too many who are willing to fork over 4 times the amount of money for a memory card than they spent on their player.

Maybe you’ve found a **bleep** in the amour so to speak, maybe not. The official stance from SanDisk is that it will not work, and is therefore not “supported”. Un-officially however, people close to the company agree that theoretically it should.

I was just making a suggestion that it could be something else and trying to help you diagnose and hopefully resolve the issue. Pioneers (like yourself) take risks; sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don’t. But whatever the outcome, it’s helpful to others who follow. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m just about to do some tests. After removing the «Classical» and the «Jazz» folder (most of the latter’s content is already on the internal memory anyway), 24.9 GB were left on the card. And the player was working fine. After adding 5.9 GB again (resulting in 30.8 GB), refreshing took 25 minutes and was extremely slow towards the end. The player managed to boot, but was very unstable during playback and unwilling to connect to the computer. Now the card is filled with 30.4 GB, and refreshing took just a bit more time than normally. As far as I can tell, playback is stable.

BTW, I paid CHF 80 for the card, which seems quite a bargain to me for so much memory space (the 32 GB card I purchased 1½ years ago was CHF 125 or so).

Well, it’s passably stable, but slow.

I have v1 and v2 Tags and Tag with Tag & Rename without unicode. No Problem. MP3 make with Foobar and lame.

Clip Zip 8 Gig and a Patriot LX 32 Gig Class 10 Card work. 4500 Files. Original Firmware. Database rebuild take 2-3 Minutes.

I re-tagged all MP3s to v2.3 ISO-8859-1 by means of MP3Tag – to no avail: The player is still slow, with more than 20 minutes for refreshing and 5 seconds for skipping in shuffle mode (exept for tracks on the internal memory, with which reaction time is normal, i.e. <1 s) – and this with further reduced SDXC card charge, now only 29.5 GB.

@koto wrote:

Clip Zip 8 Gig and a Patriot LX 32 Gig Class 10 Card work. 4500 Files. Original Firmware. Database rebuild take 2-3 Minutes.

Hard to believe! All my SanDisk Players (2 Clip+, 1 Clip Zip) regularly take about 15 minutes for database refreshing with 8 + 32 GB. Files are LAME-based MP3s with simple tags and without album art.