SanDisk User

Re: Clip Zip RDS not working in UK

[ Edited ]

It does seem strange that it works on some peoples' Zips but not others.. and from what I've read, the latest firmware does seem to mess it up - at least here in Britain.

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  I didn't get RDS at all until I inserted a formatted microSDHC card. No files on the microSDHC needed.

Seems odd, but it may work for those in the UK.

Hope this helps!

SanDisk User

That does seem odd - you would think that it should just work on the Zip with or without any card.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

@kitt wrote:

Folk here who have posted reviews of the clip might be interested in this message I received from SanDisk yesterday  - 

“RDS is not a feature of the Clip Zip. This information indeed appears in some SanDisk forums, but please bear in mind that forums are open communities created by SanDisk users in order to express their ideas. If the paperwork which came with the player definitely states RDS display is one of its “features” where the service is available, please provide us with a copy to forward to our marketing department.”

That's funny . . .  item #2b under Device Features in the Quick Start Guide (included with the player and also posted here on the forum) clearly states:

RDS information for FM broadcasts (when available)

Seems like a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Something very common in large corporations. but with something like this, one would think they'd be able to get their stories straight.

Feel free to forward this link to those un-informed customer service representatives for review. Smiley Wink

Thanks Tapeworm. 

I've sent them the link - and a link to a YouTube video somebody made showing the RDS feature.

To be fair though, I downloaded a larger manual and there doesn't seem to be mention of RDS in that.

Hope they stay with this feature - I posted on the suggestions thread just in case they are thinking of dropping it but it may well be right and left hands like you say.  Perhaps it is a tricky feature to provide with one hardware and the CZ being sold all around the world.

Smiley Happy

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

That's true; it is not mentioned in the User's Manual.

SanDisk User

Well, I know it's a feature some people care about, reading these threads..

But RDS has been around for years in Europe and is very basic. You might get the Station name, but very little other information.

DAB and DAB+ provides a great deal more, ie. track playing, weather forecasts etc. Of course these systems are just really in use in Europe, Australia etc. The HD standard in the States is pretty similar.

RDS is strange.. in the past some of my devices - Nokia phones, I think my Samsung P3 had it - my new Nano does, for sure, but it's use is pretty limited AFAIC.. I know I'm listening to Radio 4, I don't need my DAP to display this.

SanDisk User

RDS (technically) is called RBDS in the USA.  The usage was a bit rare until some radio station corporations adopted the HD Radio digital transmission and I think RBDS (for analog radio) is part of the system.

RDS was really uncommon in the USA when Grundig introduced the Satellit 700 and the Yacht Boy 500 radios.

I somehow got RDS to work - when it arrived it did not work.  Then one day I had it and then it was gone.... popping out my CZ formatted 32gb card and popping it back in I got a lengthy "refreshing your media" screen.  When I selected the radio I got the RDS back....

This problem continues to exist in some countries (even after the latest update): http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zip/Sansa-Clip-Zip-Firmware-01-01-18/m-p/254662#M1462