Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

For what its worth, the stock Google Play Music app is completely gapless. I don’t know what ■■■■ samsung includes, but you don’t have to use it, you can just download the official google app.

tnmats wrote:

You just can’t beat having a small mp3 player when you’re doing ‘active’ things and don’t want the bulk of a smart phone.   The sound quality still amazes me for such a small package.

Agreed 100%

tnmats wrote:

You just can’t beat having a small mp3 player when you’re doing ‘active’ things and don’t want the bulk of a smart phone.   The sound quality still amazes me for such a small package.

Agreed 100%

@saratoga wrote:
For what its worth, the stock Google Play Music app is completely gapless. I don’t know what ■■■■ samsung includes, but you don’t have to use it, you can just download the official google app.

Nope, not on the Galaxy S4.  The Google Play app doesn’t play gapless on my phone and there are several phones that it doesn’t play gapless.  I was surprised by it since that was one of the ‘fixes’ listed but a Google search turned up several users complaining it ain’t so on more than one phone…  Maybe it’s Samsung’s implementation of Android or something peculiar to the ATT network version?  I don’t know but it ain’t the case on my phone.  My co-workers with the same phone have the same issue so it’s not peculiar to my unit.

I found that Winamp Pro, PowerAmp and a few others are truly gapless.  Google Play and the native Samung player have brazen gaps in my music, whether it’s MP3 or FLAC.  The same files don’t exhibit gaps in those other players.  I spent a few days researching it, re-converting music files, nada.  Gaps still there but my trusty CZ with Rockbox plays those exact same files gapless.

Sound quality in the S4 is so-so, my old iPhone4 was much better as a player.  The S4 is a better phone though, the iphone had horrid phone sound quality.

Ah that sounds like a bug in Samsung’s ROM then. I’ve got a Samsung phone running Cyanogenmod and my mp3s stream from Play gapless.

@saratoga wrote:
Ah that sounds like a bug in Samsung’s ROM then. I’ve got a Samsung phone running Cyanogenmod and my mp3s stream from Play gapless.

I don’t even bother with streaming, this is from files on the phone itself.

I updated G-Play yesterday, still has brazen gaps (the 1-2 track transition in Sgt. Pepper is my test case). I also detest Play’s ‘pan scan’ of album art, it’s idiotic.

Winamp Pro does a decent enough job.  There must be a bug in the Samsung firmware; to be honest, I like the phone in general but as a player it’s not up to Apple’s nor the Clip Zip’s sound quality.  And I do not expect it to ever be fixed.

An mp3 player that doesn’t show the elapsed time of song? You’ve got to be kidding me. My intention was to upgrade from my 8GB clip+ due to its unacceptable refresh time, “refreshing your media”, would not have even considered upgrading if i’d known about this elapsed time issue. thanks for wasting my time, Sansa, back to the store to return my purchase. This was the 4th clip i’ve purchased (6th if you count 2 defects that i had to return for replacement), Clip 2gb, Clip 4gb, Clip+ 8gb, and now this Clip Zip. Every clip I’ve had has had issues, so goodbye Sansa, no more. If anybody asks me about an mp3 player recommendation, I will be sure to steer them away.

PS - the “clip” part of the clip was awesome, hard to find mp3 players with that feature built in.
PPS - I’m aware of Rockbox. I don’t feel I should have to do an aftermarket upgrade on an mp3 player just to get it to function up to minimum standards.

I’d really like the removal of “A” and “The” on track names to be optional (without having to download a cracked version of Sansa firmware in order to downgrade).  Say, a menu option, perhaps.

@pixelguin wrote:

I’d really like the removal of “A” and “The” on track names to be optional (without having to download a cracked version of Sansa firmware in order to downgrade).  Say, a menu option, perhaps.

Agreed.

@miikerman wrote:

@pixelguin wrote:

Agreed.

Me too. Although at this late date, it’d doubtful this would ever happen.

Several requests…

-USB audio driver

It seems that the rockbox folks are attempting same, but its not an easy coding task and would more than likely require SOC modifications as apposed to just a firmware refresh.

-HD radio support

Likewise this would require a completely new IC design, but could place Sansa in a unique class of portable media players.

Thanks for the opportunity post up! :slight_smile:

I’d love it if the next firmware update could increase the database limit. Love being able to use my 64gb microsd, but the 8,000 file limit doesn’t allow users to take full advantage. Aside from that, love my Sansa. Keeps me going at the gym.

@veryveryslow wrote:

I’d love it if the next firmware update could increase the database limit. Love being able to use my 64gb microsd, but the 8,000 file limit doesn’t allow users to take full advantage. Aside from that, love my Sansa. Keeps me going at the gym.

Recommendstion:  add the alternate firmware Rockbox (at Rockbox.org), which supports larger cards–it seems unlikely that SanDisk will be updating the firmware at this point (sadly). 

expecting SanDisk to release a clip player without OLED screen ,

The OLED screen reveals image by continually refreshing, which make my eyes much strain ,
There will be a feeling of nausea after several minutes watching ,the some symptom as watching CRT monitor,

Physical keys used by clip serials is very good ,easy to press ,much better than touch keys .

Why are you staring at the screen for several minutes on end?  There’s really no need–simply select your music and listen.  Situation solved.

Alternately/additionally:  under the System settings, set the display to go off after a limited number of seconds, such as 10 or 15.  Or, purchase a Clip+ instead–less of a screen to “bother” you.  Or lastly, buy an iPod Shuffle–no screen. 

Most likely, SanDisk will not offer a screenless player, if that’s what you want–there’s no need for it. 

I suspect there won’t be any further development on the Clip Zip’s firmware at this point - but just in case, or perhaps for the next version of the Clip that has a voice-recording microphone… have an option where when the player is paused, the microphone feeds the headset. Many people use high-isolation earbuds, and if they pause their player to talk to someone - they have to remove an earbud to hear the person clearly. With this suggested feature, that hassle would no longer be necessary. You could also market this as a safety feature - say when one is approaching an intersection: pause whatever one is listening to and be better able to hear what’s going on nearby without fumbling with the headset.

While I’m at it, I’d like to chime in on making it an option whether to drop A and The from the beginning of artist names, for pitch-corrected variable speed playback and a BIG YES to the return of elapsed time and track counts during playback.

How about something simple: Get rid of that stupid 1000 song limit on m3u playlists, OR provide us with a .pla playlist editor for MTP mode that can create playlists from the songs on the player and then back up the playlist for when (not if) the player crashes?

Update link for Clip Zip does not work for Mac Mavericks.

I’d like to download audiobooks, borrowed from a library site. I can plug my Clip Zip into the computer, and all it does is turn on, and say “Connected”. The drive shows on the desktop, but, nothing is in it, other than the folders that came on the device. 

I have downloaded the zip file for the update, but, when I click on it to open, it gives me an error message that says I can’t open a Windows file. 

The directions do not work, either. 

" Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.17 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater

For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download 

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)

Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Zip before performing firmware update

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Plug in your Sansa Clip Zip to your computer. 

• Extract the  clpza.bin  file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip Zip. 

• Disconnect the Sansa Clip Zip and let the firmware update begin. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Clip Zip on, Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.01.17"x"."

I see no root directory file, nor the clpza.bin file to extract. The zip file that downloads from the "Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) link just keeps creating new zip files of itself. 

I’d REALLY like this to work with my MAC computer! My Windows machine is in the process of dying, and I likely will not be replacing it.

Update link for Clip Zip does not work for Mac Mavericks.

I’d like to download audiobooks, borrowed from a library site. I can plug my Clip Zip into the computer, and all it does is turn on, and say “Connected”. The drive shows on the desktop, but, nothing is in it, other than the folders that came on the device. 

I have downloaded the zip file for the update, but, when I click on it to open, it gives me an error message that says I can’t open a Windows file. 

The directions do not work, either. 

" Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.17 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater

For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download 

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)

Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Zip before performing firmware update

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Plug in your Sansa Clip Zip to your computer. 

• Extract the  clpza.bin  file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip Zip. 

• Disconnect the Sansa Clip Zip and let the firmware update begin. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Clip Zip on, Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.01.17"x"."

I see no root directory file, nor the clpza.bin file to extract. The zip file that downloads from the "Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) link just keeps creating new zip files of itself. 

I’d REALLY like this to work with my MAC computer! My Windows machine is in the process of dying, and I likely will not be replacing it.

Get the best resolutions to any of your printer issues with our effective Lexmark Printer Troubleshooting process. Get your printers serviced today with us!