Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

@2x4 wrote:

That’s a decent point, but I find the Rockbox firmware unnecessarily convoluted and, as far as I know, a stable, official release doesn’t and may never exist.  In addition, If what you’re saying is true, I’m perplexed as to the purpose of this thread’s existance.

They’ll be a stable rockbox release on the Zip as soon as someone gets around to taking all the plugin screen shots for the manual.

@2x4 wrote:

That’s a decent point, but I find the Rockbox firmware unnecessarily convoluted and, as far as I know, a stable, official release doesn’t and may never exist.  In addition, If what you’re saying is true, I’m perplexed as to the purpose of this thread’s existance.

The purpose of the thread’s existence is exactly what you think it is…to have people report their findings and requests for the player.

However, SanDisk appears to have stopped putting much effort into the MP3 player part of the company…so we are fortunate that Rockbox is out there.

my clip zip came with 01.01.20 firmware… can you guys please make a more stable and accurate battery meter?  mine has been jumping from 22% - 11% - low battery & shut off, faster than I feel it should…

@batkinson001 wrote:

my clip zip came with 01.01.20 firmware… can you guys please make a more stable and accurate battery meter?  mine has been jumping from 22% - 11% - low battery & shut off, faster than I feel it should…

Your best bet, is once you see 40%, plug that ■■■■■■ in. :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@batkinson001 wrote:

it shouldn’t be like that though.  also noticed while charging the percent indicator in settings jumped pretty **bleep** quick from 11 - 22 then stayed at 55% for a while…  the software for checking the battery needs to be finetuned ASAP.

@batkinson001 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@batkinson001 wrote:

it shouldn’t be like that though.  also noticed while charging the percent indicator in settings jumped pretty **bleep** quick from 11 - 22 then stayed at 55% for a while…  the software for checking the battery needs to be finetuned ASAP.

I agree with you that it shouldn’t be that way. However, the likelihood of it being addressed at this point is probably not so good.  There are other solutions available, if you are somewhat tech-savvy…

I have owned both a Clip and a Clip +. My Clip + recently died. I use them mostly for audio books and FM radio. here are a few things I noticed.

The Clip has better FM reception and better station lockon.

The Clip can rewind into the end of previous chapter. The + cannot.

The Clip only jumps to the beginning of the next chapter if you are in pause. The + jumps if you push the forward twice.

The Clip’s “Play previous” would take you back to the audio book from FM, The +'s takes you to last song.

Both have clips that that break.

So I would make the ZIp with better FM reception, able to rewind into the end of a previous chapter, only jump into the next chapter while in pause, and change the play previous function. I think it already has a stronger clip.

2, 3 and 4 are software, I know it is possible. For 1 it should be possible, but I don’t know what has changed.

As others have stated, I like having time of track info, I don’t care about album art, I do care about battery life.

@jefff wrote:

I have owned both a Clip and a Clip +. My Clip + recently died. I use them mostly for audio books and FM radio. here are a few things I noticed.

The Clip has better FM reception and better station lockon.

. . . .So I would make the ZIp with better FM reception . . .

The Clip Zip does indeed have better FM reception that the Clip+, as well as RDS (RBDS) that allows it to display the radio station’s call letters and Artist & Track info about the song is being played.

I was sort of expecting the Fuze+ firmware options in the ClipZip size (minus video of course).  

Two bugs that need fixing.  1.)  My GoList disappears everytime I add a song or audiobook.  2.)  The display for audiobooks disappears as soon as I navigate to Music.  I either get a colored screen or a miniature display from Music.

A new feature to be added:  The ability to create playlists on the player rather than going through a media player on my PC.

My appologies if these have been suggested already but I don’t have the time to sit and read every post here.  Will be reading some and commenting on those I agree with.

1.  Make deletion a three step process of all files.  (8 year old accidentally deleted an important voice recording before I had an opportunity to tranfer it to computer & I accidentally deleted a stop watch file while deleting an old file before I could record all my lap data).  2.  Make it possible to select more than one file for deletion from the device itself.  3.  An alternative to 1, make it possible to restore deleted files from the device.  4.  Headphones that can control the player from the headphone itself even if the player is in lock mode.  5.  Make an option to have the clip hook onto a button or loop for more device security to prevent loss during exercise (the clip doesn’t hold tight enough for what I do).  6.  Make a swivel clip so the device could hang upside down without falling off the anchor due to gravity (5 & 6 would be useful for the upgrade of the clip zip).  7.  Be able to view saved lap times for an extended period without the device switching screens back to whatever was being listened to most recently, ESPECIALLY if music/books/radio isn’t being played.

Ability to add bookmarks to audible books, other formatted audio books, and music files.

Please allow users to browse the podcast and audiobook folders in folder browse. This was available on the clip+ but it’s not available on the clip zip. I can browse if I put my podcasts/audiobooks in the music folder, but then I am not auto-bookmarked in the file. There’s no good reason to assume that podcasts or audiobooks are going to have good ID3 tag information. In general, I’d say they’re LESS likely to have good tag data than music files. This was a tremendous oversight and should be fixed in a future firmware upgrade. Please. I’m begging you.

Agreed–but, unlikely there will be further firmware upgrades with this mature electronics product (unfortunately).

I use the Sleep TImer feature a lot.  But it is very annoying to have to navigate to there every time.  Could a Sleep TImer Reset function be added to the Menu Button?   So one could reactivate, or disable the sleep timer in just a couple of clicks?   Perhaps just setting the timeout value would place the item on the menu.

Thanks,

Super idea, that others have requested as well . . . .

Rockbox has provided many of the things I wanted from the Clip Zip, although it doesn’t help that much with battery life. I would like to see a deluxe version of the Clip Zip that is slightly thicker and has at least 30 hours of battery life. It would be even better if this deluxe version has a second card slot, support for micro SDXC cards, and is made with an aluminum case. If a second card slot isn’t feasible, then at least consider releasing the deluxe version with a choice of 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of memory  built in. So many people reject the Clip Zip since its battery life is so low. Having 30 hours of battery life would put it on par with a popular $150 player as far as battery life(we know that with Rockbox it is much better than the $150 player in many other ways).

Please add bluetooth feature please that would do many people’s favor

Would it be safe to assume that Sandisk will not be releasing a CZ replacement?  From what I can tell it’s a mature (aka nothing new) market these days.

That’s been my thinking for some time now. I believe SanDisk has moved on from the dedicated mp3 player market, which is a shame but that’s how things go. More and more people are using their all-inclusive smartphones and tablets for music/audio books these days.

But interesting, still with demand.