Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

I know it’s been mentioned before, but not for a while.

Please Please give us track#/total tracks and time played/time left. Both for all track types, not just the latter for podcasts.

In general, in the various play modes the displays are woefully short on information given the real estate. I couldn’t care less about album art, I want to see information. An option to increase text size would be nice too, it would definitely help when you’re tying to read it while running/cycling/driving.

Other than that, I love it.

@bruceb1 wrote:

Please Please give us track#/total tracks and time played/time left. Both for all track types, not just the latter for podcasts.

In general, in the various play modes the displays are woefully short on information given the real estate. I couldn’t care less about album art, I want to see information. An option to increase text size would be nice too, it would definitely help when you’re tying to read it while running/cycling/driving.

Agree with everything you say (as many others most likely do too). However, I wouldn’t hold my breath; obviously there are 1 or 2 decision-makers at SanDisk that think they know better. Also, it’s highly unlikely the Zip will be receiving any more f/w updates.

One can only hope these suggestions and features are put back into the next model that comes out. :confounded:

@bruceb1 wrote:

I know it’s been mentioned before, but not for a while.

In general, in the various play modes the displays are woefully short on information given the real estate. I couldn’t care less about album art, I want to see information. 

:stuck_out_tongue:

I notice that the Sansa Clip Zip has an option to “none” for power saver. 

Selecting this however does not seem to keep the screen from turning off even when plugged into a 5v USB power source.

Is there anyway to keep the screen active when plugged in?

Would this capability not be useful?

Would it require a firmware upgrade?

By the way the problem with the unit being recognized PNP on Vista Home Ed did not exist on my XP v3. Loading music using the XP PC on both internal memory (drive “N”) and the SD card (drive “O”) went without error. These drives were then also recognize when reconnected to the Vista PC. Gofigure…

Thanks for your help on the Vista…even though it was not sucessful initially, it seems to work ok now…

Please let me know if there is a way of keeping the screen on while plugged in to a 5v supply

Thx again

Marvin, Is this the result of some hacking? Or is it some Sandisk development code?

@bruceb1 wrote:

Marvin, Is this the result of some hacking? Or is it some Sandisk development code?

Really neither, but you could call it hacking. Marvin is using Rockbox, a third-party firmware that installs in a “dual-boot” configuration, so you still have access to the stock Sandisk firmware should you want to switch back and forth.

http://www.rockbox.org/

I would like an e-ink or monochrome old style low power lcd display that is on the whole time the player is on . I hate these colorful displays that need to be off most of the time to conserve power. A digital watch can have its display on constantly for years with a tiny button battery. With an mp3 player, just having the display on while the player is on is enough.

@jk98 wrote:

I would like an e-ink or monochrome old style low power lcd display that is on the whole time the player is now. I hate these colorful displays that need to be off most of the time to conserve power. A digital watch can have its display on constantly for year with a tiny button battery. With an mp3 player, just having the display on while the player is on is enough.

E-ink is an interesting idea, although I’ve never seen it on a truly small screen lik a DAP. I just pulled out my Nook Simple Touch e-reader, which has such a screen…I last charged it fully on the first of this month, and it has been powered on the entire time…and the battery display reads 80% still. It’s been inactive, showing the screen savers,  for the last two weeks, as I had finished the book I was reading…but still, 20% battery use in 18 days is not too shabby.

Just with more battery life and micro SDXC support, keeping the same sound quality it will be the best player in the world. I only listen to lossless files these days

just got my new little Sansa toy.  Very nice!  I was excited to see that the quick start guide referred to an option to “Set audio chimes” under the sport section, but then that doesn’t actually appear to be the case.  That would be really handy for marking off start and stop times for interval workouts.  I’d prefer not to have to spend ages setting up timed playlists, and a simple time marker would be great.

The display has been on constantly for 18 days, and not that much battery usage? Wow. Why can’t we get mp3 players like that? I would settle for the display just being on while the player is on. I hate it when I want to watch the screen and it turns off.

Please fix ReplayGain on non-MP3 formats. While ReplayGain appears to work more or less for MP3s, from my tests (using Ogg Vorbis files tagged with the current version of VorbisGain) track ReplayGain mode appears to not work at all (no volume change occurs on files with track ReplayGain and the player set to track mode), and album ReplayGain mode doesn’t work right (album ReplayGain mode actually increases the volume for loud tracks with negative album ReplayGain and decreases the volume of quiet tracks with positive album ReplayGain).

And in the mean time (or if you aren’t going to fix it) please change your documentation and knowledge base to indicate that the Clip Zip does not support ReplayGain with Ogg files. That would have been very helpful to know before I ripped a substantial portion of my CD collection to Ogg with ReplayGain (it would have been better to use MP3,or do normalization rather than ReplayGain).

No, I take that back. The bug with ReplayGain is entirely different than I thought. In fact ReplayGain DOES work with Ogg Vorbis files. Upon further investigation I discovered that in fact the bug is with the UI, such that the ReplayGain setting lags from what is displayed in the settings. E.g. when you change it what actually gets applied to songs is the PREVIOUS ReplayGain setting (there appear to also be some events that cause it to be updated, but I haven’t thoroughly investigated that yet).

…a «feature» I know from the Clip+ as well. Therefore my wish to SanDisk: Please fix that! Thanks in advance!

@junai_rnr wrote:

Just with more battery life and micro SDXC support, keeping the same sound quality it will be the best player in the world. I only listen to lossless files these days

I subscribe everything. A battery life longer than the now  ~4 hours (shuffle mode, custom EQ) would be great, and so far my attempts to make a 64 GB SDXC card work have been fruitless, despite some vague positive reports on this forum. But I really like the Zip’s fine and smooth sound, actually prefer it to the Clip+'s «crisp» characteristic.

Please add supports for Unicode characters. My song only have Vietnamese titles, which kind of very similar to English, but some characters are still displayed as squares. Titles like that:

Đám cưới chuột

Gạt tàn đầy

Is there a way to have the player recognize variances in playback volume (gain?) so that those levels don’t have to be individually adjusted for each song in the playlist?

ReplayGain.

@marvin_martian wrote:

ReplayGain.

Or MP3Gain

Hi,

I love my Clip Zip! I bought it to wear while I’m exercising, and so I would appreciate it if you changed the Sport timer to a repeating interval timer a la Gymboss.

Please! Please! Please!

Given all the amazing stuff this tiny bundle of joy does, it seems like a relatively small request, something that would greatly increase the value for trainers. I’d rather be able to use my Clip Zip than buy another gadget.

While I’m at it, if I were to make a big ask, it would be for bluetooth or some other type of wireless connectivity. I hate all these **bleep** cords! That would be for the deluxe model.

Also, it seems like it would be easier to include no headphones rather than those horribly uncomfortable cheapos included with the Clip Zip. I think you actually lessen the value of your product when you do stuff like that.

Wow, didn’t know I had such strong opinions (phew!).

I actually did search for interval timer to see if it was asked, but it didn’t come up (surprisingly) - trying not to repeat an ask.

Thanks,

Charlie