Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

Several features that used to be available for books did not get moved from the clip to the zip.

Without these, IMO, book mode is broken and the device is useless to me because it’s too much of a pain to use it.

1. I can not move easily from chapter view to play view.  There used to be a menu item that put me there.  I use this often and without it, the zip-clip is useless to me. The home button initially moves me to chapter mode, but if I hit it more that once, it loses its place and can’t be reset.

2. There is no longer a chapter # of chapters in the display.  I have no idea where I am in my book which makes it really hard to resume it on another device (my other, older clip) or to recover when the clip-zip loese its place.  And, since I can’t just drop down to chapter view (see 1), it’s doubly broken!

Please give access to variable speeds and also if the body cover is made of metal then atleast if it falls down from anywhere it will not affect the internal system

@mdas wrote:

Please give access to variable speeds and also if the body cover is made of metal then atleast if it falls down from anywhere it will not affect the internal system

While I agree that variable speeds would be useful for some while playing music and podcasts as well as audiobooks as it does now, I disagree that a metal case would protect the internal workings from damage in case of a fall or drop. A metal case would dent and result in more of a jar to the electrical components than a plastic case which is is more resilient and will flex or give just a little providing somewhat of a shock-absorbing effect. Plus the fact that a metal case will increase the cost and therefore the selling price of the unit.

I just got my clip zip for xmas and its replacing my lost clip + which was probably one of my favorite players ever. I am really enjoying the zip, but there is one vital aspect that is really bothering me.

I miss the return to list function that has been in all of your other players such as the fuze, and clip +.

I usually set my clip to shuffle, and frequently a song comes up and I would rather listen to another song on that album, or go to another album by that artist.

I used to be able just hit the down key and click on return to list to easily get to those songs or albums but now the only thing I can do is hit back and I have to scroll all the way down to the artist, album and then the song in order to find it.

What used to be a simple and easy press of a button is now pretty frustrating.

I believe it would be pretty simple to just put that option back in. Or even better to have the option of setting the back button to return to the list as default.

This is really the only issue that is keeping this from being better than the clip+ in every way.

Thank you.

Unfortunatly, my µSG 32GB Samsung MB-MSBGA still not work…

But it is not the subject of this post…

A function who can be inproved :

If you listen music, and pause it, if player turn off with “auto off function”, when you turn on the player, it is still in “Pause”, i think it should be better it when you turn on player, it plays directly soundtrack.

Another thing, ever if player if locked, turn off player with a long push on “power on/off lock” should be avalaible, you have to  unlock and turn off after…

Another thing, but not really important, french translation for unlock is not made (click power to unlick) (still in english)

I have to say after reading through this, there are a lot of responses to requests that effectively either say, “if we did that then… why don’t you just…”

I understand if the objection is related to hardware, which is costly to change, but if its a simple software fix, and you object to the request, what the hell is the point of a feature request thread?  I guess its your decision, but you’re getting valuable market data for free here, why not do your damndest to give people what they want, which is what the thread is here for in the first place.  Otherwise, there’s always ipod and rockbox.

I have a Sansa mp3 player that will not turn on when removed from the charger. I installed the firmware but that did not fix the problem. I need information on how to return this product for an exchange.

Thank you

@yoshcom1 wrote:
I have a Sansa mp3 player that will not turn on when removed from the charger. I installed the firmware but that did not fix the problem. I need information on how to return this product for an exchange.

Is it a Clip Zip and/or under warranty (new, not a re-furb)? Contact SanDisk Tech Support directly. It’s always better to call if possible, rather than e-chat or e-mail. You can find the contact info world-wide bu clicking here.

Hi,

please make available larger font sizes esp. for the timer under  SPORT. I wonder who needs these nanoseconds while working out but being able to read hrs and mins while jogging would be fantastic. Thx.

Hi to all,

I’ve just bought a CZ and despite I’ve seen they’ve already been requested, as I think these features are a must have, + 1 to:

• Show number of files xx/yy in a folder or album.
  • Show elapsed and remaining time (elapsed as a minimum).

I don’t need to see the hour when playing music, so there you have some pixels you can use better.

I would also be nice to have an option to delete entire folders.

Yet again: +1.

This is my first Sansa player. I have the 8GB Zip with a 32GB card installed that was just hanging around doing nothing. Normally I’m a Cowon guy. I have 2 32gb S9’s and a 16GB D2+ that I bring back and forth to work, but I’m really liking this little player. While it may not sound as good as my Cowons, it sounds much better than either of my iPods (1 in a drawer and 1 connected to my cars USB) and my Creative Zen (in a drawer). I’m already used to folder browsing (there really isn’t any other way, and won’t use a player without it now) so once I filled up the main memory and got 5 or so GB on the SD card I was off and running. Not only does the radio come in really good, but it also shows the call letters and the name of the song and artists? Holy ■■■■ Batman, this thing is great! The clip feels really sturdy too.

What I’d like to see changed/improved.

1. As other people said, showing the time elapsed/remaining.

2. Fix occasional gaps in the gapless playback. I rip the audio off DVD’s and listen to movies at work sometimes. While listening to Star Wars: A New Hope there were 10 or so times when there was a slight pause between chapters.

3. Allow artwork named “cover” to be displayed also. Cowons only display “cover” artwork, so that’s what all mine is called.

4. Being able to delete entire folders, not just individual songs.

5. Show song number as 02/10 (as song 2 of 10)

While it would be nice if these things were fixed, that doesn’t change my opinion of this player at all.

(I was just reading this post backwards and most of these are on the previous few pages)

I wanted a small player for exercise and audio book listening.  For audio book listening, I would like as much information as possible about where I am in the book and chapter.

The radio is great, by the way.

I would LOVE to have multiple bookmarks available.  I have not had this in an audio player, but have really come to enjoy this feature on e-books.  I can bookmark the part of the book where they introduce a bunch of characters, or other key info.  Then if time has elapsed since I was listening (or I’ve just forgotten), and I need to go back to pick up the info, I can bookmark my current place, jump back by bookmark to refer to the info, and then back to reading.

This would be even more useful when listening than when reading for me, because I listen to audio books or podcasts while doing other things, and have less focus - more likely to need to go back to pick up key details.  Plus, if I want to share a certain part of a podcast, or audio book, the bookmarks would make that easy too.

Another pair of requests / suggestions:

• Add an option to automatically start playing files of the next folder when the last song of the current folder finishes. (Forget this, I’ve seen that selecting “play all” on top folder plays all it’s subfolders).
  • Add different options to sort folders: by name (ascendant / descendant order), by date (newer first / older first)…

I’ve read several posts on playlist issues, but I haven’t seen an issue like this.

I’ve created Playlists in my new Clip Zip from songs in my internal memory and my external microsdhc card. I did this via Windows Explorer by creating a new playlist in the internal playlist folder, and dragged and dropped them to the new playlist (it is .pla format).  I was then able to disconnect from my computer, and was successful in playing the playlist, accessing songs from both internal memory and the external card.  I even powered the Clip Zip down and turned it back on to ensure persistance (and it still worked). 

Upon reconnection to my computer, the Clip Zip somehow modified the playlist and deleted ALL entries from the external card.   I tried again, with the same results (edited the playlist, disconnected, worked successfully, reconnected, Clip Zip zapped the entries). 

So I did it again, this time creating copies of the playlist in the playlist AND root folders of the internal memory.  Tested again with the same results.

For some reason, when I connect with the USB, it will Zap all references to external memory songs in all .pla files in internal memory.  What am I doing wrong???  Could it be a problem with the new firmware update (I heard that is problematic), and if so, how do I back it out?  Or is there some setting where I can tell Clip Zip not to alter my playlists? 

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest M4B support , see : http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zip/MB4-Support/td-p/264197

According to http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_To_Make_M4B_Files it says “An M4B file is an audio file which can be bookmarked. This is the audio-book file type.”

In the case (“this is the audio book file type”) is true AND (“zip supports audio book file type”) is true –> M4B support should be true

(I am aware that other digital formats are ALSO able to store audio like spoken text… but  refer to “THE” audio book file type)

I have done research all over the place and can’t seem to get a straight answer.  So if my request is already possible, please just tell me how to do it.  If not, I would love, Love, LOVE to have a feature added to the Clip Zip where I can *save* multiple bookmarks. As in, bookmark a file, play another one, then go back to my bookmark - not just “resume after turning back on.” It can even be exclusive to audiobook/podcasts. I just want to be able to listen to multiple audiobooks/podcasts and not have to relisten to sections because I can’t remember the exact minute and second that I left off. PLEASE :smiley: Thank you!!!

I have done research all over the place and can’t seem to get a straight answer.  So if my request is already possible, please just let me know how to do it. 

If not, I would love, Love, LOVE to have a feature added to the Clip Zip where I can *save* multiple bookmarks. As in, bookmark a file, play another one, then go back to my bookmark in the first one - not just “resume after turning back on.” These bookmarks would, of course, need to be remembered after having powered the device off and on and they can even be exclusive to audiobook/podcasts, if need be. I just want to be able to listen to multiple audiobooks/podcasts over the same period of time and not have to record the minute and second I leave one to go listen to another one for a little while.  The chapter mode is nice, but bookmarks would be awesome!

PLEASE? Thank you!!!

I just checked on my Clip Zip - I have 2 books I’d started before settling on the book I’m currently reading.  The other two still asked me “Resume” or “New Start” when I select them.  I think this is all your asking for, correct - a single bookmark for each book?  I think what you want is already available.

You are finding your audiobooks under the “Books” section, not “Music”?  If it’s correctly interpretting your “album” as a book, you should be getting the “Resume” question for each book you’ve started.  You may want to start a new thread with your question (or search in other forums, not just the Clip Zip - the bookmark works basically the same as Clip/Clip+)

Thanks for the response. It’s a funny thing.  What you describe is what I’d been looking for.  I tested for it multiple times after I downloaded a few books to my new clip zip, then updated the firmware, and tested it again.  Still nothing.  I figured I’d try one more time after I had turned it off and on a few times (after posting my previous comment) and there it was! It finally asked me if I wanted to resume :smiley: 

I really thought it was a feature that needed to be requested because I have seen other people on various sites inquiring about this feature for the clip zip with no confident replies in the affirmative.  So I guess the request would be that there be clearer/more accessible documentation on this feature.  There is nothing I could find about it in the user guide, but that is probably because it seems to have been part of a firmware update.  It would have made my decision to buy the clip zip a no brainer if I had been able to find such doucmentation, so now that I have found this feature to be available, it is everything I was looking for! Thanks, again!