Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

Believe me Marvin, if I had anything, I would give it to you, it just simply turned off, and won’t turn back on.  I know the battery was charged up when this happened, but I hooked up to my computer to charge and it won’t even recognize the device.  the error box even said something about the device is damaged or something.  I’ve never dropped it, gotten it wet, etc., so I have no idea how this is possible.  The only thing I can think of is that Newegg possibly sold me a refurbished one, but it didn’t say that in the description, and it’s so new I don’t think there would be refurbished ones available yet, but Newegg had a “replacement only” return policy on the thing, so that’s my only clue.

I found mine wouldn’t turn on once when I had it plugged into the computer charging, computer went to sleep because I left it.  When I went to wake up the computer I got an error about the connected device (it malfunctioned or something),  Unplugged the zip and it would not turn on.  Reconnected it to the computer…nothing.  Rebooted the machine…nothing still. Figured it had died on me but turned to the internet in hopes of finding a resolution.  Found the thread on Sandisks forums about reseting the zip which apparently involves holding in the power button at least 20 secs then trying to turn it on. It powered up and has worked fine since. 

Not sure if it may have helped in your situation but worked in mine and now I’m more prone to charge it on a wall charger rather than the computer that may interupt the connection and kill my little mp3 player.

@2x4 wrote:

Believe me Marvin, if I had anything, I would give it to you, it just simply turned off, and won’t turn back on.

We’ve been hearing this same scenario a couple times a week for years about various players. 99 times out of 100 if you simply do a reset (as already suggested), the unit will come back to life.

Obviously, the people who post these “I don’t know, it just died” pleas for help haven’t taken the time (as they should have) to read the User’s Guide as this simple ‘fix’ is always explained and suggested as the 1st thing to try when the player freezes up or acts odd in any way.

I can’t understand it . . . if I were a SanDisk (or any company for that matter) Tech Support representative the first thing I would ask someone who called with a problem is, “Have you read the manual? . . . No? . . . Call me back when you have.”

5-10 minutes reading the manual vs. hours or days of back & forth messages on a forum or calling some Tech Support rep? The choice is yours.

1 Like

@dcastro wrote:

After the screen times out and goes off, it takes two presses of the volume buttons to turn the sound up or down. Can we get that changed so the volume changes on the first press?

The first touch  of a button wakes up the Clip Zip.  The subsequent presses are accepted as a command.  Though a little quirky with the volume buttons, I’ve been used to the “double tap” for that first volume adjustment.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

“Obviously, the people who post these “I don’t know, it just died” pleas for help haven’t taken the time (as they should have) to read the User’s Guide as this simple ‘fix’ is always explained and suggested as the 1st thing to try when the player freezes up or acts odd in any way.”

Obviously, the people who post these [deleted]" useless responses haven’t taken the time (as they should have) to notice that this forum is in the “help” section of the website. [deleted].  Thanks for taking the time to help.

Thanks, niteshade, I thought you only had to hold it a few seconds, I should have read the manual more closely.  At any rate I’ve already sent it back to newegg, but if it happens again I’ll certainly try this.

No worries, feel free to ask here, regardless of how basic the question may be!  To reset the player, the time required to reset does vary depending upon the situation that caused the fault.

If you have a sensitive pair of headphones, there’s a soft “click” audible as the Sansa resets.  There have been times when I’ve experimented with test files, freezing the player, when the reset takes under five seconds.  Other times, it has taken around twenty (in these cases, I froze the player by overtasking it).

If you’re like I am, with a new device, I power up and run with it.  Usually, referring to the manual or user guide happens when I have an idle moment, or the device does something I don’t understand.  At least, since the User Guide is a PDF file, there’s a handy search function in Adobe Reader.  Not everyone out there uses this function regularly- in fact, there are two different search functions in Reader.

Going to the user forums is a great way to figure problems out, and ask opinions on how others have found ways to solve them.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@2x4 wrote:

“Obviously, the people who post these “I don’t know, it just died” pleas for help haven’t taken the time (as they should have) to read the User’s Guide as this simple ‘fix’ is always explained and suggested as the 1st thing to try when the player freezes up or acts odd in any way.”

Obviously, the people who post these “I’m a major a-hole ■■■■■■■■■” useless responses haven’t taken the time (as they should have) to notice that this forum is in the “help” section of the website, not the “i need a place to be a **bleep** from a safe distance because my parents didn’t love me enough” section.  If I were anywhere near you, I would punch you in your useless face.  Thanks for taking the time to help.

2x4,

Please take some time to read our forum rules and guidelines. Personal attacks on others with not be tolerated. This will be your one and only warning. One more offence and you will be permenetly banned from posting on this forum. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

@mags1230 wrote:

@p_opus wrote:

Raise the 8000 song DB Limit at least to the 10000+ song limit on the Fuze+.  This player is capable of supporting a 32GB microSD card for a total 40GB storage.

I agree with you on this.  If it has been done for the fuze+, it should also be the same for the clip zip.  I would guess that the additional memory space needed for it shouldn’t be so great that users without a huge library will complain about it.

I have a mix of 128kps MP3’s ( and greater) and 6700 tracks that fit on less than 27GB. of storage.  The Fuze is only capable of addressing 5537 of them.  Much less than the advertised 8000.

When it comes to any advertisement, you know you should always read the fine print.  :wink:

Hi.  I’m confused by your answer (the “fine print” comment).  Can the 8000 song limit be reduced by other factors?  I have this problem on my 8 gb clip zip with a 32 gb usd card (a sandisk!).  I have 7843 songs (both wma and mp3) on it now, but the player can’t see some of them.  Is there a workaround or something else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

-geo

I would like the ability to change the background color/image for just the FM playing screen.

In my opinion, the white letters on the tan background doesn’t look very good – it looks washed out.  Something more colorful and contrasting would be nice. 

One of the huge benefits of OLED is the ability to reproduce “black”  This aspect should result in richer, deeper colors rather than washed out colors.

Thank you!

I don’t know if anybody has posted this yet or not, it would be nice to be able to play all contents in a directory without shuffling them.  I have a directory for an artist with all of their assorted albums and would like to play the whole list through but I have to settle for one album at a time.  That is pretty restrictive.  I consider this to be a serious limitation with this product.  I would even go so far as to say it is a flaw.  Please fix this problem post haste.

@gripes wrote:

I don’t know if anybody has posted this yet or not, it would be nice to be able to play all contents in a directory without shuffling them.  I have a directory for an artist with all of their assorted albums and would like to play the whole list through but I have to settle for one album at a time.  That is pretty restrictive.  I consider this to be a serious limitation with this product.  I would even go so far as to say it is a flaw.  Please fix this problem post haste.

There is a workaround method of doing this…press and hold the select button and that will add the artist catalog to the GoList. I’m not sure if each album will play sequentially, or if the songs will all play in alphabetical order…so it may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s as close as anything I can think of.

Can you put that down as a suggestion for the development team?  That should have been thought of right about when they thought of shuffle-playing the directories.

The work around plays songs in order from each album but the albums are ordered alphabetically. 

I, and others have been calling for the re-implementation of the “Play All” option that has been on every Sansa player since I have been owning them for several years now. The absence of it on this newest model is frankly, bewildering to me.

Gimme a holler when you guys get them to reintroduce that.  My Sansa is not very useful to me without it.

One thing I would like on the Clip Zip: allow the backlight to turn off in 5 seconds. The backlight must stay on for a minimum of 15 seconds on the Zip, but on the Clip+ you could set it to 5 seconds. I just want to maximize my battery life.

Odd, isn’t it, how some useful, seemingly innocuous features were eliminated, seeming almost like change just for change’s sake.   :frowning:

Return the “go back to the music list” option from the song’s option menu ala Clip+. Relegating this task to the physical back-button is not convenient at all as it simply goes back to where you last navigated to; and then from there you have to go all the way back to the music list. Return the “next song screen”. also the font. If possible, allow us to change the font. Also an option to not have cover art.

Obviously, the people who post these “I don’t know how to make it play all the files in a folder” pleas for help haven’t taken the time (as they should have) to create a playlist, as this simple ‘fix’ is common knowledge and suggested as the 1st thing to try when one wants to play a set of songs in a particular order.

I can’t understand it . . . if I were a SanDisk (or any company for that matter) Tech Support representative the first thing I would ask someone who called with a problem is, “Have you made a playlist? . . . No? . . . Call me back when you have.”

5-10 minutes making a playlist vs. hours or days of back & forth messages on a forum or calling some Tech Support rep? The choice is yours

How about updating the firmware so that it automatically sets date and time when syncing, or at least when it runs sansa updater?